• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DevilDog

Security Officer/Bouncer
    Jul 21, 2015
    Maryland
    I know I'm new here but I was thinking that it's time to make a little noise. How would one go about setting up a organized demonstration/protest in Annapolis and around Pikesville area solely for the purpose of getting the media attention with the possibility of getting national coverage. Maybe it might put pressure on certain people to make a change.

Just a thought....

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Welcome aboard. This has been done in Annapolis numerous times. Stick around and it will happen again at some point.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Join MSI.
    Watch for threads about upcoming legislation and plans for rallies and testifying at hearings in Annapolis.
    The legislative season runs January through March. We usually have a rally then. We also pack the meeting rooms during committee meetings on upcoming legislation. Interesting and kind of fun. You can tell the politicians what you think and watch the sausage being made.
    Nothing happens in August, though.

Mr H

Banana'd
    I know I'm new here but I was thinking that it's time to make a little noise. How would one go about setting up a organized demonstration/protest in Annapolis and around Pikesville area solely for the purpose of getting the media attention with the possibility of getting national coverage. Maybe it might put pressure on certain people to make a change.

Just a thought....

Maryland really stinks when it comes to actual, Constitutional discourse.

But, as mentioned, MSI is a great starting point (along with many other groups, depending on where you're located).

MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    One of the issues with demonstrations to try to positively affect legislative/statutory change is the timing required. The Maryland General Assembly (MGA - http://mgaleg.maryland.gov) is a "part-time" legislature, meeting for a 90-day period from January-April each year. Outside of those dates, the legislators are rarely in their Annapolis offices, as most of them are back at their normal jobs.

To that end, several of the various 2A groups in the state (Associated Gun Clubs of Baltimore (AGC - http://www.associatedgunclubs.org/), Maryland Shall Issue (MSI - https://marylandshallissue.com/), Maryland State Rifle & Pistol Association (MSRPA - http://www.msrpa.org/), National Rifle Association - Institute for Legislative Action (NRA-ILA - https://www.nraila.org/), etc.) typically work together to put forward a "rally day", typically on a Tuesday in February. The goal of the day is to educate our folks on the, as Threeband put it, "sausage making" and then send them in to the House/Senate offices in Annapolis to practice their 1A-protected right of freedom to petition their government for the redress of grievances by visiting their legislators.

In the past, the MGA used to hear testimony on all firearms related bills on two days, euphemistically called "Gun Bill Days", one in the House and a separate one in the Senate; this event used to be timed to coincide with one of those two days. In the past two years, in a fairly obvious attempt to reduce our visibility as a community, the MGA has heard bills on firearms on multiple days, and even in multiple committees or joint committees. So, TL:DR, the rally day is not necessarily on the same day as gun bills being heard in committee.

Stay tuned to the Maryland 2A forum; as soon as the rally is planned, I am certain there will be announcements, calls for action, and requests for support for the activities.

This is not to say that other rallies cannot be performed. However, with the MGA out of session, any rally is not likely to get much coverage.

ShafTed

Ultimate Member
    Mar 21, 2013
    Juuuuust over the line
    For the sake of completeness, it's called 2A Tuesday. Second day of the second week of the second month, for the Second Amendment. Always (for the last couple of years) on the second Tuesday in February because, as mentioned before, that's when the GA is there. As also mentioned previously, stay tuned to MSI and here for updates as the time grows near.

Bolts Rock

Living in Free America!
    Apr 8, 2012
    Northern Alabama
    For the sake of completeness, it's called 2A Tuesday. Second day of the second week of the second month, for the Second Amendment. Always (for the last couple of years) on the second Tuesday in February because, as mentioned before, that's when the GA is there. As also mentioned previously, stay tuned to MSI and here for updates as the time grows near.

But he'll never have the chance to see the Bolts' finger show or "I'm a big sumbitch!"

Last edited:

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    A rally in support of the Second Amendment, that's an idea. Let's do it in Annapolis while the legislators are in session; how about the second Tuesday in February. Let's call it 2ATuesday.(catchy huh). I may be willing to spend a day of leave to hang out with hundreds or thousands of other like minded 2A supporters. Given the event is completely passive/peaceful, and weather isn't too terrible.

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    It's most effective when the legislature is in session

A rally in support of the Second Amendment, that's an idea. Let's do it in Annapolis while the legislators are in session; how about the second Tuesday in February. Let's call it 2ATuesday.(catchy huh). I may willing to spend a day of leave to hang out with hundreds or thousands of other like minded 2A supporters. Given the event is completely passive/peaceful, and weather isn't too terrible.

Highlights from this year's #2ATuesday rally on Lawyers Mall in Annapolis ...

Emily Miller "This Is About Facts"
    Sarah Merkle at 2A Tuesday Rally

More from past rallies on YouTube ...

Attachments

• A Tale of 2 Rallies.jpg
      A Tale of 2 Rallies.jpg
      90.7 KB · Views: 428
    • 2ATuesday logo.jpg
      2ATuesday logo.jpg
      7.7 KB · Views: 336
    Last edited:

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    A rally in support of the Second Amendment, that's an idea. Let's do it in Annapolis while the legislators are in session; how about the second Tuesday in February. Let's call it 2ATuesday.(catchy huh). I may be willing to spend a day of leave to hang out with hundreds or thousands of other like minded 2A supporters. Given the event is completely passive/peaceful, and weather isn't too terrible.

He's a newbee and doesn't know how active many on this forum actually are.

mark71211

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2012
    Edgewater
    To have the media cover a gun rally in Maryland you got to become anti-gun, bring 12 people with signs and then they will report that there was 1,200 people there.

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    Rallies have had limited success in the past. When MSI did Open Holster rallies, it would be uncommon to get more than 200 people to attend. One problem, as mentioned, is that the GA meets from January-April and only really Monday-Thursday. It makes it difficult as people have to choose to take time off to be involved.

One thing we've been doing over the last 3 years is 2A Tuesday. We have a ralley, and encourage people to meet with their delegates since that is what is the most effective.

I'd def encourage you to get involved with MSI.

Of course, the other annoyance is when we turned out so many people against SB281 the fire marshall had to shut down the Senate building because it was at fire capacity, the media only reports "a few hundred gun rights supporters"

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    Of course, the other annoyance is when we turned out so many people against SB281 the fire marshall had to shut down the Senate building because it was at fire capacity, the media only reports "a few hundred gun rights supporters"

The B'More media isn't our friend. The Sun and WBAL have always 'slanted' their 'reporting' and their opinion editors, Rodricks in particular, are downright hostile. DC media, with the exception of Fox5 (Emily Miller) haven't been much better. This is WHY FSA2013 passed. Hizhonor, the Gov'nah garnered such loyalty in the press, public opinion was manipulated to the point that people actually believed his '85% in favor' meme because the media published distorted pictures of the two rallies.

Rallies are good and #2ATuesday needs to continue to be an annual event, but ...

We also need a concerted effort on social media and with comments and pro-gun facts in the press to counter EVERY anti-gun message that is published by the MSM. Call out O'Malley every chance you get. He needs to LOSE his 2016 bid so badly that he crawls into the financial hole he has dug for himself and declares bankruptcy. We also need to slam Miller and Busch at every turn. They aren't Pro-2A and they still hold the legislature hostage.

Miller and Busch, Good for beer ... Bad for Maryland.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom