• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • psusra112

Jun 8, 2011
    lol
    Thanks for the tips, I was planning on getting started with certifications this year but hadn't looked into which I should aim for first. I'm doing my bachelors at Towson but only going part time as I have a 3 year old and one on the way and work full time.

Yeah. On the other side, some of my colleagues have had great success in becoming the "Sharepoint guy". Lots of reqs that I see coming across are for Sharepoint folks, especially at the entry level side.

rsj1231

Ultimate Member
    Feb 24, 2013
    Harford County
    Yeah. On the other side, some of my colleagues have had great success in becoming the "Sharepoint guy". Lots of reqs that I see coming across are for Sharepoint folks, especially at the entry level side.

Good to know, I've spent the past 3 years delving into SharePoint 2010 at both my previous and current job and now we're working on moving towards the 2013 version.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    The GIAC stuff is expensive if you are looking for security stuff. CEH and OSCP are cheaper. Get an OS or two cert, as well. It is sort of like college, you start off with a range of things and then focus on the particular aspect you like. I have my guys start at A+ and then move into desktop OS, then network. They also need to learn the corporate apps at least to give first level support to end users and know how to talk to vendors and parse the vendor BS. Servers and virtualization far down the road...of course companies all do it different.

Here is an example of what I meant by getting a range of things. one department does Management Accounting Systems for clients. Things like Solomon, Great Plains, etc. They are not really IT folks, even though they say they are. They are app super users. They have no concept of issues outside their app. If the app is crashing, they think it is only the app, never thinking about the other possibilities like the disk drive filling up due to the SQL transaction log not shrinking, the virtual host has a bad disk in the RAID10, or the NIC is flaking out. If you have some sort of a wider base, you can focus on one and then know how to resolve more issues due to the fact that you can look beyond your one thing to try to resolve.

psusra112

Jun 8, 2011
    lol
    The GIAC stuff is expensive if you are looking for security stuff. CEH and OSCP are cheaper. Get an OS or two cert, as well. It is sort of like college, you start off with a range of things and then focus on the particular aspect you like. I have my guys start at A+ and then move into desktop OS, then network. They also need to learn the corporate apps at least to give first level support to end users and know how to talk to vendors and parse the vendor BS. Servers and virtualization far down the road...of course companies all do it different.

Here is an example of what I meant by getting a range of things. one department does Management Accounting Systems for clients. Things like Solomon, Great Plains, etc. They are not really IT folks, even though they say they are. They are app super users. They have no concept of issues outside their app. If the app is crashing, they think it is only the app, never thinking about the other possibilities like the disk drive filling up due to the SQL transaction log not shrinking, the virtual host has a bad disk in the RAID10, or the NIC is flaking out. If you have some sort of a wider base, you can focus on one and then know how to resolve more issues due to the fact that you can look beyond your one thing to try to resolve.

Fully agree with OSCP. That's a fantastic course, much better than Sec560 from SANS. Fantastic advice here in all as well and this really shows when you're interviewing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom