• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PGTMG

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2010
    I am looking for anyone with any experience hunting deer with a rifled choke in smoothbore barrel? Good or bad.

Are they worth the expense?

Thanks

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    My smoothbore slug barrel on my Mossberg holds 4" groups @100 yards which is plenty good enough for me for deer hunting.
    That's with standard rifled slugs.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    I have a Browning A-500 with a 24" rifle sight smoothbore I used to hunt deer in King George, VA with some years back. It never shot any slugs, Foster or Sabot better than an 6 - 8" group at 75 yds or so (iron sights). BUT...when I put in a screw in rifled choke tube and shot sabots, groups shrunk to under 3" at 75 yds. So, yeah...it works...or at least it did in my gun.

JBinDC

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2012
    MoCo - Silver Spring
    I bought one on clearance from Cabelas for my Mossberg 535 to attempt to use with some Sabot slugs I got as a gift. I saw zippy difference in accuracy at 50yds, and marginal difference in accuracy using it at 100yds.

As mentioned above, many do well enough with standard slugs, out of a smoothbore. I'm not sure they are worth the extra cost for the sabot ammo, unless you actually wanted to get a dedicated slug barrel.

At the time, I did read this article on it if it helps http://www.guns.com/2012/07/11/do-rifled-choke-tubes-improve-slug-accuracy/

--JB

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I have a Browning A-500 with a 24" rifle sight smoothbore I used to hunt deer in King George, VA with some years back. It never shot any slugs, Foster or Sabot better than an 6 - 8" group at 75 yds or so (iron sights). BUT...when I put in a screw in rifled choke tube and shot sabots, groups shrunk to under 3" at 75 yds. So, yeah...it works...or at least it did in my gun.

Sabots need rifling to work.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I bought one on clearance from Cabelas for my Mossberg 535 to attempt to use with some Sabot slugs I got as a gift. I saw zippy difference in accuracy at 50yds, and marginal difference in accuracy using it at 100yds.

As mentioned above, many do well enough with standard slugs, out of a smoothbore. I'm not sure they are worth the extra cost for the sabot ammo, unless you actually wanted to get a dedicated slug barrel.

At the time, I did read this article on it if it helps http://www.guns.com/2012/07/11/do-rifled-choke-tubes-improve-slug-accuracy/

--JB

The thing about rifled slugs is, they only work in smooth bore guns. their rifling usually turns opposite of rifled bbls. Also, sabots only work if they have some sort of rifling to get the spinning.

Fishguy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2009
    Montgomery County
    The thing about rifled slugs is, they only work in smooth bore guns. their rifling usually turns opposite of rifled bbls. Also, sabots only work if they have some sort of rifling to get the spinning.

Which is odd because I shoot plain old rifled slugs through my rifled barrel and they shoot very tight groups at 100 yards. Frankly, it (rifled slug barrel) throws regular old slugs and expensive sabots about the the same.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Which is odd because I shoot plain old rifled slugs through my rifled barrel and they shoot very tight groups at 100 yards. Frankly, it (rifled slug barrel) throws regular old slugs and expensive sabots about the the same.

Good on you, then. Most rifled slug boxes will read "for smooth or non rifled barrels" or something to that effect. Now, I admit that it's been a few years since I've shopped for rifled slugs and things may have changed. I have a Mossberg 12 ga. I used to hunt with, with a rifled bbl. only thing it would shoot well was a Brenneke 3" mags. It was a beast to shoot.

PGTMG

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2010
    Brenneke 2 3/4 is what I have mostly used because of smooth bore barrels

Pablopac

pablopac
    Aug 7, 2012
    I tried one in a Win1300, very poor results with standard and Sabot.
    Found it well worth it to purchase a rifled barrel. It holds a 3 inch group with remington copper solids at 100. I have cleanly taken deer beyond that. Used a range finder and one shot kill at 138 yards, holding 4 inches high. (Zeroed at 100).
    I am hunting in WV this year, so if you want to try one, I can set you up for a week. I will be using rifle or bow. In fact, I may be selling the Win 1300 with rifled barrel and cantelever mount. (keeping my older one, turkey special. Cant sell the first gun my wife bought me!!)
    pablopac

Bald Fat Guy

Oct 7, 2014
    Sometimes, with certain slugs , a rifled tube will give meaningful advantage. Much more likely with an extended tube than a flush. Most likely to see improvement with a sabot slug doing moderate velocity. Several of the offering from Brenneke state "for smooth or rifled".

Other than early R-P Copper Solids , most sabot loads CAN be fired from smooth bores, albeit probably with similar accuraccy to convetional slugs . The first commercially available sabot slugs , the BRI , were designed before the modern advent of rifled bbls. The intended advantages of flatter trajectory , better penetration , were intended to be gained through the aerodymanic design, and higher sectional density.

If you already have a suitable smoothbore try it with a cpl different slugs for accuraccy. Include Brenneke and TruBall in your testing. If that doesn't give adaquate results , insted of a relativly expensive half measure , just step up to either a rifled bbl (if a reasonable one is available for your gun) , or a H&R/ NEF rifled single.

Fishguy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2009
    Montgomery County
    Good on you, then. Most rifled slug boxes will read "for smooth or non rifled barrels" or something to that effect. Now, I admit that it's been a few years since I've shopped for rifled slugs and things may have changed. I have a Mossberg 12 ga. I used to hunt with, with a rifled bbl. only thing it would shoot well was a Brenneke 3" mags. It was a beast to shoot.

Oh you are correct, everyone has always told me they don't work well in rifled barrels and mine might be a fluke, but the point is that I tried them for grins in my rifled Mossberg 500 barrel and they shoot well. And, they always shoot well in that barrel, it wasn't a one time thing. I'm not trying to refute anything advice you are giving, just sharing my experience. They do put some lead in the barrel which might be a reason to think twice about shooting them in a rifled barrel.

BuildnBurn

Professional Pyro
    Oct 25, 2012
    Frederick County
    I had a Mossberg 500 with a rifled choke tube, it shot Foster type rifled slugs almost as good as my Dad's 1100 with a rifled barrel and sabots. The major drawback I had with it was an additional 6" on top of the 28" barrel made it rather unwieldy

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom