As we creep closer to restoring our rights...

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Alutacon

Desert Storm
    May 22, 2013
    Bowie
    First-of-the-Month bump... and some thoughts...

We are in a unique position in modern history.

As responsible gun owners, and free citizens, we are being looked at as the face of problems in the country, for no reason other than a loose association to maniacs and evil-doers, connected by nothing other than inanimate tools.

But the opposition--while the minority--is highly vocal, and plays dirty through the media.

Our responsibility--as upstanding citizens--is to counter the outcry with facts, to show ourselves with respect, and to speak our peace calmly yet firmly.

Excuse a bit of a ramble here, but I've found myself answering email and posting about several of these things this morning, and I might as well put it all in one place.

When communicating to your representatives (and even the media), be polite but firm. Use facts instead of an abundance of emotion. Make your points clear and concise, and with language that can be understood at about a 12-grade/college freshman level. Be respectful, even though we disagree with many of those with whom we are communicating. Salutations showing that respect (Honored Delegate, Esteemed Senator, etc.) go a long way to getting your letter read.

We will need to be visible, as well. This may be the most critical piece, and will require the most attention to detail.

When attending group events, we will need to present our position as responsible, respectable, and respectful citizens. The opposition wants nothing more than to paint gun owners as rogue militia, or hicks, or camo-clad paranoid renegades, who are wanting to stockpile for armageddon. Dress to impress. Not necessarily suits and ties (unless that's your norm), but clean-cut, neat, and tidy makes a huge difference. Avoid "hunting apparel", gun-logo shirts/hats, camo, or anything "tactical". We want to win on substance, of course.

If visiting lawmakers, or being interviewed for the news, this presentation is a huge step to moving our positions forward. Also, be well-versed in your position, and that of the movement.

Should you be part of a larger "rally", we should take a clue from the "Tea Party" example. Name-calling, destructive behavior, rudeness, insults, and filth are the hallmarks of the other guys' events. Signs can be honest, clean, and straightforward, and informative without creating animosity. Carry a couple of plastic bags in your pockets, and pick up trash as you go. Our whole message should be about a kinder, safer society, and living it will take [metaphoric] bullets from the other guys' gun.

Just a few thoughts...

And away we go...........

outstanding post! I completely agree

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    I thought that listing a few resources and suggestions (hopefully in a sticky??) would be helpful to the community at large.

There are several sites/forums/resources out there that can come in handy as we're all learning and moving forward in a "2A-in-Maryland World".

Please feel free to suggest sites related to specific topics, and I'll trry to keep them organized in this OP.

Not only do we need to remain vigilant with regard to current and proposed legislation, there are places on the web known to keep good, accurate information about laws, carry, businesses, and others topics.

First off, LEARN WHO REPRESENTS YOU in Annapolis!!
    This is critical. Learn about them, their records, and their positions. Many will be happy to put you on a mailing list for email updates/newsletters. If possible, it would be helpful to meet them personally, as most are also visible members of the community. This is important in holding them accountable for their votes. The Representative model only works properly, if constituents are informed and HEARD. Be polite, be interested, and be non-confrontational... but over all else, be firm.

MD Legislative EMail Tool
    Most of us are familiar with the tool, from this past session, but it's worth having handy. Share this with the world, but especially other gun owners who may not realize they could be next.

AGC Legislative EMail Tool
    Associated Gun Clubs of Baltimore has its own email tool, as well.

NRA-ILA Legislative Contact Tool
    The NRA-ILA tool links you to both Federal and State officials. The site also offers tips for communicating with elected officials, as well as legislative, issue, candidate and media updates.

handgunlaw.us
    This site is one of the most current sites out there, relating exclusively to the laws of each state, with regard to both open and concealed carry, as well as reciprocity.

usacarry.com
    This forum also has really good information on legal distinctions, as well as tips and gear for effective carry.

friendorfoe.us
    This site, IMO, will become increasingly important as we go forward. It is a contribution-driven compilation of businesses and places that are both welcoming and anti carry. Research national chains in other states, and it will be important to make sure that those with locations in MD be kept in line with their other states' counterparts. We can also make businesses aware that being anti-carry is something that is known across the 'net.

opencarry.org
    Many here are familiar with their forum, as it is a great resource for all topics surrounding Open Carry, handling situations, and the carry climate in other states. Be aware they are not interested in CC (for purposes of discussion), or long guns (unless that is your only local option).

May I suggest some light reading?
    There is a free publication called Gun Facts. It's produced by a man in Texas who compiled data from all over the United States into a handy manual. It's very objective; and everything is academically foot noted.

I came across this site by accident.
    From their site:

Summary of Permits from Other States for Marylanders
    MDS member JustCuz has assembled a comprehensive summary of permits available to Marylanders which are issued by other states, and some details on the interoperability of them.

Project Vote Smart
    This is a fairly comprehensive resource which allows you to look up history, endorsements, positions, and voting histories of most elected officials. I'm finding it very helpful in checking out what we can expect from any particular legislator.

IN SUPPORT OF PROJECT ALAMO

Influence Explorer
    Follow the Money
    These sites are very good and very thorough in tracking the contributions made to your representatives' campaigns, both at the State and Federal level. If the funding for "anti 2A" candidates dries up, then we stand a better chance of replacing them.
    (Note that large companies often make contributions to both sides, so be careful in calling out these entities.)

I will post more as I can.

Great stuff. Thanks!

Minuteman

BANNED!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads