• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hollywood Ball

Mountaineer
    Aug 26, 2013
    NC WV
    My patio is being demoed tomorrow. I recently had a tree removed, and once all the surrounding concrete is removed, I'll need the stump ground down.

Anyone here interested, or know of someone who can knock it out?

The plan is to get the stump ground down then get my concrete people back for the pour/finish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hollywood Ball

Mountaineer
    Aug 26, 2013
    NC WV
    5db2898a0fcf838a737befbea86a3789.jpg

Here's the stump in question.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Your problem with grinding the stump down is that you will not get rid of all the organic material (e.g., root ball). Then, you are going to pour concrete on top of it and as it decays it will leave a void underneath the concrete. That usually does not end well. If you are not going to be there long term, probably not an issue. Otherwise, might want to think about having somebody pull the entire thing out with a backhoe versus just grinding it down.

Afrikeber

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Urbana, Md.
    Your problem with grinding the stump down is that you will not get rid of all the organic material (e.g., root ball). Then, you are going to pour concrete on top of it and as it decays it will leave a void underneath the concrete. That usually does not end well. If you are not going to be there long term, probably not an issue. Otherwise, might want to think about having somebody pull the entire thing out with a backhoe versus just grinding it down.

:thumbsup:Excellent advice, was thinking the same. The grinder blade usually goes 12" max depth and the remainder of root mass remains.

Hollywood Ball

Mountaineer
    Aug 26, 2013
    NC WV

I don't disagree, however, 1) I am likely moving/selling Q2 2015, and 2) it's hard to say where those roots are under the dirt. Pulling it out my crack/damage my neighbors concrete pad, which I am not interested in repairing or replacing!

I think Home Depot rents grinders. Looks like I'm just going to tackle it myself as best I can and pour over it.

Hollywood Ball

Mountaineer
    Aug 26, 2013
    NC WV
    Found a guy on Craigslist that does grinding in the MD/DC/VA area willing to knock it out for $200 (Advertised at $160, but added some extra for travel).

With rental price, time, and effort, it was an easy decision to pass on doing it myself and take a chance with this guy. He's scheduled for Friday, so we'll see!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom