• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Interesting. The MD handgun board must have inspired confidence through the addition of new AR pistols to the roster. So will the different FFLs sell the lowers as "HBARs" just requiring a NICS check or pistols requiring an HQL and state of MD paperwork? While a lack of challenge to the former might encourage face-to-face sales by private citizens, successful selling through the HQL route indicates a more direct blessing from the state. Or is this off?

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    Interesting. The MD handgun board must have inspired confidence through the addition of new AR pistols to the roster. So will the different FFLs sell the lowers as "HBARs" just requiring a NICS check or pistols requiring an HQL and state of MD paperwork? While a lack of challenge to the former might encourage face-to-face sales by private citizens, successful selling through the HQL route indicates a more direct blessing from the state. Or is this off?

This, IMO, has nothing to do with the roster board. They are selling them on 77rs, but that makes no sense to me, as they are not regulated firearms (not under 5-101(r)(2) as it would be banned, and not a handgun as it has no barrel.) They should be cash and carry.

Independence

long member
    Jul 16, 2008
    Nottingham
    This, IMO, has nothing to do with the roster board. They are selling them on 77rs, but that makes no sense to me, as they are not regulated firearms (not under 5-101(r)(2) as it would be banned, and not a handgun as it has no barrel.) They should be cash and carry.

Would it be classified as Other?

tc617

USN Sub Vet
    Jan 12, 2012
    Yuma, Arizona

You would think so but stripped receivers have always transferred I Maryland on a 77R because they could be built into handguns.

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    You would think so but stripped receivers have always transferred I Maryland on a 77R because they could be built into handguns.

The reasoning wasn't that they could be built into handguns. They reasoned that, because the definition of regulated firearm included firearm, firearm includes "the frame or receiver." Therefore, the frame or receiver is itself an assault long gun/regulated firearm. I have always advocated for the fact that AR lowers should be cash and carry.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    This isn't *another* question with no answer , it is one of the primary long term questions with no answer.

Nate explained their reasoning in #34 . For going on 20 years , MSP has treated AR-15 recievers as Assult Rifle ( or terminology of the day) as the weapon itself. Their is a facially coherent line of reasoning that MSP was wrong the whole time. To now have MSP officially admit they wrong all those years would be quite the sight.

All that said , I can't imagine any scenario that would have them on 77R's at present. They would either be banned , or cash and carry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom