Is it legal to build an AK on a pre-10/1 receiver?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tc617

USN Sub Vet
    Jan 12, 2012
    Yuma, Arizona
    If you purchased or made an AK receiver prior to October 1, 2013, is it legal to build an AK rifle on it today, thus making an ALG?

Any thoughts?

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    a complete receiver is a complete firearm in the eyes of the law. you owned an ALG prior to 10/1 if you owned the receiver.

so, yes.

pitpawten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 28, 2013
    a complete receiver is a complete firearm in the eyes of the law. you owned an ALG prior to 10/1 if you owned the receiver.

so, yes.

Hrm, I like this answer, but it doesn't seem to jive with the guidance Nate was giving over in the "No more SBR's" thread (IIUC).

Might want to have a quick looksee over there too just to make sure MSP hasnt flip-flopped recently WRT what exactly a receiver is.

Hopefully different situations or I misunderstood...

wbw2123

Nov 19, 2012
    One aspect of this has been discussed in a number of other threads.

The folks that temporarily assembled all of their receivers prior to October 2013 are good to go. Each one of my receivers had a barrel/trunnion or upper bolted to it before the ban. I'm sure yours did too.

I don't know the answer for those that didn't.

Right_to_arm_bears

OIF, OND, & OEF Vet.
    Nov 13, 2012
    MD
    These laws are so hilariously ridiculous. Just go by this:

To play it safe, any firearm you own was purchased before October 1, 2013. If they inspect further, you lost your entire collection in a terrible canoeing accident. If they ask why you didn't report them as lost, say check their "system" again. Then pack up and leave this state.

RoboRay

Oct 16, 2013
    Hrm, I like this answer, but it doesn't seem to jive with the guidance Nate was giving over in the "No more SBR's" thread (IIUC).

Might want to have a quick looksee over there too just to make sure MSP hasnt flip-flopped recently WRT what exactly a receiver is.

Hopefully different situations or I misunderstood...

SBRs are a totally different scenario; creating one of them is legally (per the NFA) manufacturing a new firearm.

Attaching non-NFA parts to an existing receiver (stripped or not) is not legally manufacturing a new firearm. The firearm (the receiver) already exists.

pitpawten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 28, 2013
    SBRs are a totally different scenario; creating one of them is legally (per the NFA) manufacturing a new firearm.

Yeah, I get that.

I was actually talking about pre-10/1 AK receivers and the question of whether or not they were ALG's before 10/1.

If you possessed an Assault Long Gun prior to 10/1/2013, you may continue to possess it.

[...]

The issue arises more, in my mind, with AKs and their variants. A pre 10/1 AK receiver was not an ALG. Can you build it into a rifle now that is an ALG? Again, relatively unanswered, but I would tend to think that it is not legal to do so. I see no differentiation between pre and post 10/1 lowers.

It just happened to come up in that "SBR" thread.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    The receiver IS the firearm. If it was purchased pre-October, it is grandfathered. Build away.

The State has always considered the receiver the firearm, a grandfathered firearm is a grandfathered firearm. They cannot say it is only grandfathered if it were built. They can't have it both ways.

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    The receiver IS the firearm. If it was purchased pre-October, it is grandfathered. Build away.

The State has always considered the receiver the firearm, a grandfathered firearm is a grandfathered firearm. They cannot say it is only grandfathered if it were built. They can't have it both ways.

A receiver is a firearm. An ALG is a firearm. The possession restrictions apply to ALGs, not all firearms. I cannot take a pre 10/1 HBAR and put an m4 upper on it now, as I did not possess an ALG before 10/1.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    A receiver is a firearm. An ALG is a firearm. The possession restrictions apply to ALGs, not all firearms. I cannot take a pre 10/1 HBAR and put an m4 upper on it now, as I did not possess an ALG before 10/1.

If I had a non-HBAR upper on my HBAR receiver just once, I can do anything I want with it. I did that with all of the receivers I bought. Prove I didn't. :D

OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo
    Talking about HBARs in the AK thread...tisk tisk.

I think we should talk about the legality of all receivers and how we can build pistols out of banned ALG platforms.

HauptsAriba

Feb 16, 2014
    Anne Arundel

Well I agree with you, however they call an SBR a pistol,and an assault long gun, so...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom