• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    My point was if you are engaged in an allowed activity, there is no specific language prohibiting a stop, ie gas, food, etc.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    My point was if you are engaged in an allowed activity, there is no specific language prohibiting a stop, ie gas, food, etc.

I get that. The ambiguity arises from the language: If you are stopping to shop, are you actually engaged in the allowed activity, especially in light of the otherwise very broad prohibition on any carrying or transport for the purpose of shopping. Recall, the burden is on you to satisfy the statutory exception. I, for one, have no desire to try and persuade a judge and a jury on this point.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    how about getting fuel? that is also a stop by definition. Are no stops permitted?

the ambiguity could hurt or perhaps help you could it not?

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    This was my point. although maybe not a wise choice, it isn't specifically prohibited while engaged in an allowed activity.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    This was my point. although maybe not a wise choice, it isn't specifically prohibited while engaged in an allowed activity.

Yep, I would not wonder to far from the path of the exemption that one is operating under.

Like stopping to buy ammo, targets, grab some grub, or get gas.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I suppose you could make the case that by getting fuel, you might prevent yourself from being stranded with a firearm on a public road.

certainly a worthwhile goal.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    4-203 *does* specifically prohibit the transportation of handguns. 4-203 starts with a *very* broad statement of prohibition and then makes exceptions. Here is the prohibition:

(a)(1) Except as provided in subsection (b) of this section, a person may not:
    (i) wear, carry, or transport a handgun, whether concealed or open, on or about the person;
    (ii) wear, carry, or knowingly transport a handgun, whether concealed or open, in a vehicle traveling on a
    road or parking lot generally used by the public, highway, waterway, or airway of the State;
    (iii) violate item (i) or (ii) of this paragraph while on public school property in the State; or
    (iv) violate item (i) or (ii) of this paragraph with the deliberate purpose of injuring or killing another person.
    (2) There is a rebuttable presumption that a person who transports a handgun under paragraph (1)(ii) of this
    subsection transports the handgun knowingly.

The exceptions are then listed: As material in this context, those exceptions are:

(3) the carrying of a handgun on the person or in a vehicle while the person is transporting the handgun to or
    from the place of legal purchase or sale, or to or from a bona fide repair shop, or between bona fide residences
    of the person, or between the bona fide residence and place of business of the person, if the business is operated
    and owned substantially by the person if each handgun is unloaded and carried in an enclosed case or an
    enclosed holster;
    (4) the wearing, carrying, or transporting by a person of a handgun used in connection with an organized military
    activity, a target shoot, formal or informal target practice, sport shooting event, hunting, a Department of
    Natural Resources-sponsored firearms and hunter safety class, trapping, or a dog obedience training class or
    show, while the person is engaged in, on the way to, or returning from that activity if each handgun is unloaded
    and carried in an enclosed case or an enclosed holster;
    (5) the moving by a bona fide gun collector of part or all of the collector's gun collection from place to place
    for public or private exhibition if each handgun is unloaded and carried in an enclosed case or an enclosed
    holster;
    (6) the wearing, carrying, or transporting of a handgun by a person on real estate that the person owns or
    leases or where the person resides or within the confines of a business establishment that the person owns or
    leases;

For those who wish to study the statutory language, a copy of 4-203 is attached. The exceptions speak in terms of "transporting" or "in connection with" So the question the Trooper and the Judge will have for you while you are stopped at Walmart or Target: Well, sir, are you "transporting" the firearm for these allowed purposes or are you here shopping? The point is the act of transporting does not include stops for other reasons.
    Remember that there was a member here that got his handgun stollen from his car at his work? (I believe this was way over then stopping for gas or food)

He was transporting to shoot at the range during lunch. He was not charged for said violation when he called the cops to report it stolen.(I don't think he did)

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    Under 4-203, transporting a handgun directly from home to the range is permissible. If you were to add a stop at Walmart along the way, is it considered a single transport from home to the range, albeit with a stop at Walmart, or, are you considered to be transporting the handgun twice, the first time from home to Walmart, and the second from Walmart to the range? If viewed this way, since Walmart is not on the list of approved locations, there may be legal trouble. Semantics, I know, but this is the lens through which actions are viewed.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    I have to stop fill-up up my gas tank, whenever I go to a shoot on the eastern shore or western MD.
    I have to stop fill-up up my gas tank, and buy food, whenever I travel between my homes.

Am I going by the route of Missouri to get there? No.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    I have to stop fill-up up my gas tank, whenever I go to a shoot on the eastern shore or western MD.
    I have to stop fill-up up my gas tank, and buy food, whenever I travel between my homes.

Am I going by the route of Missouri to get there? No.
    See if you get a Prius..you don't have to.. :P

T-Man

Ultimate Member
    Jul 23, 2010
    Catonsville
    There is no language in 4-203 to support your claim. The word "directly" is not there.

It's the insanity of Maryland law -- there is no definition of what transporting means and yet its possible that you could be charged for going outside of the definition of transporting as set out in the statute.

I would argue that transporting would be to and fro with reasonable stops in between - gas, food, etc -- but wouldn't push it, but frankly we have no idea what it actually means.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    Remember that there was a member here that got his handgun stollen from his car at his work? (I believe this was way over then stopping for gas or food)

He was transporting to shoot at the range during lunch. He was not charged for said violation when he called the cops to report it stolen.(I don't think he did)

I don't know of that case. I would say that it would lie in the discretion of the arresting officer and the discretion of the State's Attorney. I don't trust my fate to the discretion of someone I don't know and who may hate guns. Stopping for gas might be shrugged at, especially if the gun was unloaded and in the trunk and NOT on your person. Stopping to shop at Wallie World? Maybe not. Almost certainly not if you are wearing it inside, unloaded or not. The more attenuated the connection between the permitted purpose and the actual activity the more risk you run.

Last edited:

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    how about getting fuel? that is also a stop by definition. Are no stops permitted?

the ambiguity could hurt or perhaps help you could it not?

Ambiguity just gives the prosecution something to argue, if he so chooses. You can invoke the Rule of Lenity but that is a last gasp defense and you are already deep in the rabbit hole at that point. It does work, but rarely.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    I don't know of that case. I would say that it would lie in the discretion of the arresting officer and the discretion of the State's Attorney. I don't trust my fate to the discretion of someone I don't know and who may hate guns. Stopping for gas might be shrugged at. Stopping to shop at Wallie World? Maybe not. The more attenuated the connection between the permitted purpose and the actual activity the more risk you run.
    I agree..

I personally don't stop anywhere myself unless its a must/emergency/long distance drive.

Have you heard any case though on such? Violation during transport?

Only read couple but that's loaded and on the person while driving (wv ppl../driving through MD)

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    I agree..

I personally don't stop anywhere myself unless its a must/emergency/long distance drive.

Have you heard any case though on such? Violation during transport?

Only read couple but that's loaded and on the person while driving (wv ppl../driving through MD)

People get arrested all the time for this (having a handgun in the car or on their person, loaded and unloaded) but I know of no reported case involving these sorts of questions, e.g., stopping to shop. That doesn't mean much, as these arrests are not required to be published in a searchable manner. The one case that really stands out to me is that reported in the McDaniel case. Really good reading on this subject for general principles.

Attachments

• opinion.McDaniel898_F_SUPP_2D_809_search of car.pdf
      244.7 KB · Views: 77

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom