• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jason21237

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2011
    Delta,PA
    I have been in and around the business since I was old enough to hold a wrench. I can bend exhaust, weld and do all the other normal things associated with auto repair. I have fixed/built everything from drag cars to Hondas. If you have a welder and an exhaust bender I can make you money. Im fair with diagnostics but not scared of it. At my current place we have someone who does all of the diagnostic and I do the exhaust and other stuff. Baltimore or Harford county preferred. The place I work is great and so is the guy I work for but there are only 3 of us in the shop. 1 being my brother. I need to relocate for that reason.

Jason21237

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2011
    Delta,PA
    Check craigslist. I see posts seeking experienced mechanics all the time.

Most of the shops on craigslists never have to take their ad down because their turnover rate is so bad. Not interested in dealerships nor shit holes that don't like to pay.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Most of the shops on craigslists never have to take their ad down because their turnover rate is so bad. Not interested in dealerships nor shit holes that don't like to pay.

I often wonder if that's a reflection of the shop itself or the criteria(or lack thereof) for new hires.
    I started out at firestone and have worked exclusively in Chevy dealerships for almost 9 years. I won't go back, the dealership is where it's at for me.

Jason21237

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2011
    Delta,PA
    I often wonder if that's a reflection of the shop itself or the criteria(or lack thereof) for new hires.
    I started out at firestone and have worked exclusively in Chevy dealerships for almost 9 years. I won't go back, the dealership is where it's at for me.

I think its a mixture of both. The shop sucks so it cant get good people. Dirtbags show up and are instantly fire or quit and when a decent guy shows up he quickly sees the writing on the wall and bails.

Jason21237

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2011
    Delta,PA
    do you have L1 certs? if so I might be able to help
    Never worried about any certs as I haven't needed them. Last shop was a hot rod/fab shop. Now a general repair/ exhaust shop. I have only ever worked in small shops and it was never an issues. I prefer the family type atmosphere where customers are in contact with techs as much as the office when needed. I feel it makes customers more comfortable to know the actual person working on their vehicle.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    I think its a mixture of both. The shop sucks so it cant get good people. Dirtbags show up and are instantly fire or quit and when a decent guy shows up he quickly sees the writing on the wall and bails.

Yeah, I have to say that I haven't seen a ton of quick turnover at the dealership although I did only spend 2 years a piece at my first two dealerships. I'm working on five at my current job. I have aspirations to start my own used car business once my wife's career gets off the ground though as I'm sstarting to tire of wrenching...even though 50% of it involves computers nowadays:lol2:

Never worried about any certs as I haven't needed them. Last shop was a hot rod/fab shop. Now a general repair/ exhaust shop. I have only ever worked in small shops and it was never an issues. I prefer the family type atmosphere where customers are in contact with techs as much as the office when needed. I feel it makes customers more comfortable to know the actual person working on their vehicle.
    We sound like polar opposites. I have every cert there is as far as ASE and GM training. I don't toot my horn or display and plaques or patches like some do. Also, I can't stand having to talk to or be anywhere near customers :lol2:
    Sorry for hijacking your thread :/

Jason21237

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2011
    Delta,PA
    No problem. Your not hi jacking. Some guys can do the dealership thing and some cant. Different strokes for different folks. Dealer guys are spoiled they only have to worry about one make for the most part.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    No problem. Your not hi jacking. Some guys can do the dealership thing and some cant. Different strokes for different folks. Dealer guys are spoiled they only have to worry about one make for the most part.

I think that's what I like about it. I can roll right through the day. Half the time I can diagnose a car by the complaint before I look at it. I have a growing family and I look at the job as an income source not a hobby or the fun of working on cars. It's a flat rate world and the faster I can diagnose and fix the car, the more money I make. It also helps that I do state inspections and a dealership sells cars :D I also like having a normal 1hr lunch break and a lot of schedule flexibility due to there being 12 other techs.

motox79

May 24, 2010
    damascus
    Just a suggestion, but look into working for construction or landscaping companies. I have worked both the small "family" shops as well as the dealership experience. Both have their pros and cons. However, the BEST thing about where i work now is....NO CUSTOMER (well kinda...) I never have to get authorization for repairs, and as long as i keep the equipment running, i never hear from the "boss man" (OK, well, i'm kinda the boss of the shop....the foreman anyhow, and i have the luxury of working nights so i don't really see anyone from the office for more than an hour or 2 each day) Once you get over the fact that their are a bunch of retards breaking your equipment each day (though that does mean job security) its really pretty laid back. Now the conditions aren't always perfect (working on equipment on site ocassionaly @10 degrees sucks!) the money is decent if you are a well rounded tech. I work on everything from string trimmers to articulating loaders. Just a thought that i think alot of people overlook. Good luck with the search.

Poor6737

Feb 14, 2014
    Cecil County
    I'm in need of a Diesel Tech for 2, possibly 3 months. It's not long term but it might help! Have you had any formal training on Diesel Platforms? Give me a shout this week at 302-266-0860. Ask for William.

Jason21237

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2011
    Delta,PA
    I'm in need of a Diesel Tech for 2, possibly 3 months. It's not long term but it might help! Have you had any formal training on Diesel Platforms? Give me a shout this week at 302-266-0860. Ask for William.

Other than the very basics i havent done any diesel work. My experience is with gas engines. From stock vehicles to race cars including fabrication. Some chassis building and body work. Welding, fabrication , regular vehicle maintenance, engine building etc but no real diesel experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom