• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    For SHTF I am grabbing my 16" AR with Aimpoint Pro or my SCAR 17S with Leuopold VXR (preferably both). For HD I would use my AR57 with aimpoint micro. 50 rounds of 5.7 should be able to stop any threat without over penetrating.

Heck if S really does HTF I am stuffing my truck full of guns and ammo getting to my family's farm as fast as possible. I'll bring every gun I possibly can with as much ammo as I can fit in the car, I'll have the wife guard the truck with her Mini 14 and I will pack it to the gills. On the farm we have cattle, as many deer as you could ever want to shoot, a pond loaded with panfish and yellow perch, well water, and a house on the highground over 600 yards from the nearest road and a half mile from the nearest neighbor. We should be able to last for a long time assuming I can actually make the 50 minute drive. If 66W is clogged there are a number of side roads that will eventually get me there.

The better bet would be to start stocking your bug out location with Guns & Ammo. Then get yourself and your family a few Dirt Bikes. That way, it wouldn't matter how much the roads get clogged up with fleeing families.

This will give you the best chance for survival. Instead of packing your truck up and wasting precious time, you can grab your bug out bag and be on the road in minutes.

LargemouthAss

Dec 27, 2012
    The better bet would be to start stocking your bug out location with Guns & Ammo. Then get yourself and your family a few Dirt Bikes. That way, it wouldn't matter how much the roads get clogged up with fleeing families.

This will give you the best chance for survival. Instead of packing your truck up and wasting precious time, you can grab your bug out bag and be on the road in minutes.

If SHTF on a weekday during business hours it will be a long process for me no matter what. I need to get to my NOVA house from downtown DC (so I won't have a gun on me) and either me or my wife will need to pick up my daughter at day care in MOCO. Stuffing the car full of guns and ammo might take as much as 15 minutes so in the grand scheme of delays it won't be much. In the meantime I would rather keep my guns in the safe and my ammo organized in my house. There are a few guns at the farm and a bit of ammo but it is my parents place and I don't think they will appreciate me bringing a few thousand rounds and some MSR's to store there just in case.

And yes 66W will only be clear if there has been a nuclear attack but as long as it is moving a little bit I am confident we can get there. If it is a parking lot then it's time to get creative.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Yes, once you start branching out from "bump in the night" to "defend area", magnified optics start being a lot more useful. I run 1-4x FFP BDC scopes on my 5.45 AR and my Sig 556R. I am very satisfied with both in terms of their performance. In fact, the only thing I've got with more magnification is my VEPR 54R, which is rocking an 8x POSP.

rtruhn

Sep 12, 2013
    Gwynn Oak
    In HD while ROL is in place, my choices are wood-stock Mini 14, an M1 Carbine, or a Just Right Carbine in 9mm. Don't want those ARs confiscated!

In HD or bug-out WROL, that AR is my first choice; I'm grabbing that, the 870, and a couple of handguns in my bug-out weapons bag I'm setting up.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    In HD while ROL is in place, my choices are wood-stock Mini 14, an M1 Carbine, or a Just Right Carbine in 9mm. Don't want those ARs confiscated!

In HD or bug-out WROL, that AR is my first choice; I'm grabbing that, the 870, and a couple of handguns in my bug-out weapons bag I'm setting up.

I went to a little shooting event over the weekend where we shot pistol, pistol carbine, rifle, and shotgun. It makes you think about how much hardware you can drag around, let alone an ammo cache.

ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    I went to a little shooting event over the weekend where we shot pistol, pistol carbine, rifle, and shotgun. It makes you think about how much hardware you can drag around, let alone an ammo cache.

Nobody ever thinks about that. If you need to go on foot, you need to carry many more items than just guns and ammo.

Using a rifle caliber larger than .223/5.56 is not ideal in my book.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    My still MD legal KISS vote goes to the Mini-14. I love mine. It's the shorter 16" Tactical thrown into an old school factory wood stock. Light and handy; and it always goes bang. I've run it dirty and dry and never had an ftf.

13431605565_8f480f3e31_b.jpg

jmira

VA Rocks.
    Mar 25, 2009
    Alexandria, VA
    don't have a pic here at work, but its simple..

M&P-15 sport with a bushmaster red dot (comp m4 look alike ) on it. totally a disposable rifle at around $700

it weighs about 7lbs loaded..

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    Old School KISS.....I can reload by Dillon or hand press when the SHTF turns into TEOTWAWKI and resupply becomes a real survival issue.

1874 Sharps Cavalry Carbine from Taylors

45-70-405 Meplat will kill anybody plus the horse they rode in on and their pet buffalo too.

View attachment 114778

Of course, it gets backed up by Sharps Buffalo Rifle and a Marlin 1895

Oh Hell yes!!!!!!!!!!

I was gonna say the Winchester 94 Trapper in .44 magnum, that I bought for my youngest son, but, the .45-70 stomps all over that thought!!!!!!!

I also like the Spanish FR-8 carbine in 7.62x51mm.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    100% peripheral vision and iron sights do not go together. You need to close an eye to keep iron sights lined up. You keep them both open with a reflex sight.

And like erwos said, finding dark iron sights against a dark background in a dark house is time consuming and difficult at best.

Sorry but if you need to close one eye to line up your iron sights you may want to seek some training.

Are you using your dominant eye?

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Sorry but if you need to close one eye to line up your iron sights you may want to seek some training.

Are you using your dominant eye?

Some are mildly dominate to one side which means the nondominate eye may try get involved. Its documented as a real occurance. I am one of those individuals. Close in, big targets and a good index is a good scenario for me to shoot two eyes open. Or I need to scotch tape off the nondominate eye.

I noticed it just after high school, went to use a microscope and couldn't differentiate anything with both eyes open as I had learned to do.

I still practice both eyes open, know my ranges and tolerances for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom