• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    I'm slowly saving my pennies for a Sig P239, but I have noticed the SP2022. The only difference between the P239 and the SP2022 is capacity and .2" in width.

P239 width 1.2"
    SP2022 width 1.4"

That and a whopping $480 difference in msrp

What is so damn hot about the P239 that I should spend $480 more for .2" difference in width with the SP2022?

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Machining? I like and want the P239 as well (SAS model in 357 Sig), and one thing that I find immediately apparent when handling it, is the weight. It's all steel. I'm guessing that the other variant is mostly a polymer gun.

A SIG P239 is single action..........like a 1911 in miniature. Mine fits quite nicely in my front pocket (loose utilities). I highly recommend it.

EDIT: Sorry my dyslexia showed up again it's P938. I realized my goof last night.

Last edited:

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I am kind of confused why a 239 is even mentioned in a competitive shooting thread? Since it's a TERRIBLE comp pistol.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    The Sig P938 is the 9mm model similar to the 1911.

It's basically a slightly upscaled P238, which is a .380. It's similar to the old Colt Mustang Pocketlite.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    For competition shooting? Didn't know those existed.

Yea, that's what I'm doing...looking for a BUG gun for IDPA. And, I plan to shoot it in regular competition and not just a BUG match. There was a time I loaded up 7.62x54R for my Mosin. I get caught up in odd projects. There'll be another weird tack I'll be on. Just wait a month or two :)

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Mag changes under stress on small single stacks are harder than Chinese math. Good luck. I carried a 239 for a year as my duty gun. Ugh. Surprised I have any skin left on my left palm. But if you have mag exchanges in comp, then go with the 239. Bigger is better.

Chasbo00

Jun 30, 2012
    Northern VA
    Yea, that's what I'm doing...looking for a BUG gun for IDPA.

Better look at the new IDPA rules then as the new BUG weight limit is 29 ounces and the P239 is listed by SIG as weighing 29.5 ounces. You might be able to lighten the pistol by a half ounce though without too much trouble, maybe.

IGOR455

Oct 12, 2011
    glen burnout
    i was issued a sig pro and own carry andshoot a 239 hands down i would get a 239 great weapon. shoots like the jedi light sabre easy for me to quall with qnd i ve done it for years

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    Better look at the new IDPA rules then as the new BUG weight limit is 29 ounces and the P239 is listed by SIG as weighing 29.5 ounces. You might be able to lighten the pistol by a half ounce though without too much trouble, maybe.

I didn't pay attention to much about qualifying besides barrel length and found the SP2022 is too long and the P239 is fine.

Reading your post took the wind out of my sails. Went to the email I have on the new IDPA Rule book just released and there isn't any weight limit for BUG.
    8.2.6.2. A BUG match could consist of one or several stages, perhaps held at the same time as a normal club level match. A BUG stage could consist of a regular stage with a modified CoF procedure that complies with the five rounds per string limit.
    8.2.6.2.1. Handguns permitted for use in BUG matches must:
    8.2.6.2.1.1. Be single action, double action, double action only, or striker fired.
    8.2.6.2.1.2. Be either semi-automatic or revolver.
    8.2.6.2.1.3. Be a center fire caliber
    8.2.6.2.1.4. Barrel length:
    8.2.6.2.1.5. Semi-automatic: 3.8” or less.
    8.2.6.2.1.6. Revolver: 3” or less.

8.2.6.3. BUG Permitted Modifications (Inclusive list):
    8.2.6.3.1. All BUGs
    8.2.6.3.1.1. Storage locks may be disabled or removed.
    8.2.6.3.1.2. Magazine disconnects may be disabled or removed.

I further noticed this that would permit me to us the, 239 to remove the "skin left on my left palm" (according to blaster229), in spite of any weight limit...

8.2.7. Not For Competition
    8.2.7.1. IDPA encourages shooters to practice their gun handling skills with commonly carried firearms. Many everyday carry firearms do not fit into the 5 competition divisions.
    8.2.7.2. IDPA allows clubs to add a “Not for Competition” scoring division for Tier 1 matches only. This allows calibers smaller than 9mm, carry optics, and other pistols which do not fit into the 5 competition divisions to participate in local club matches.
    8.2.7.3. All other IDPA equipment rules apply for holsters and loading device holders as well as their placement on the body. Match Directors also have the option to allow junior shooters with .22 rimfire firearms to begin strings at low ready in lieu of requiring a holster.
    8.2.7.4. All IDPA membership rules apply.
    8.2.7.5. Clubs are not required to implement this provision, and Match Directors are allowed discretion with implementation so that match quality remains high.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom