• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ryu

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Jan 8, 2014
    Howard County
    https://www.aclu.org/blog/technolog...ed-monitor-gun-show-attendees-license-plate-r

They're mainly against the blanket use of license-plate readers to track where people go and with whom they associate. In this case, a FOIA request uncovered a DEA/ATF proposal to track cars at gun shows. DEA says it was just a proposal and never implemented.

"We [the ACLU] have serious concerns about using the technology in a way that is specifically targeted at people exercising their constitutionally protected rights." (although the rest of the article focuses on the right to peacefully assemble).

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    It's a 4th issue that potentially aids in infringing the 2nd in this case -- at least that's what it looks like.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Police militarization, gun registry privacy (yes, they did oppose it when it was proposed in 2013)... very slowly we may get a changing of the guard.

Someday they may even catch on to how the 2A protects the 4a (see below)!

MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    Note the claim that the 2a is a protected right..

That's a body blow to the big O.

We need all the help we can get..

Take it with a smile..
    I am not seeing any mention of 2A, only one specific use of the words "First Amendment", several references to the right of peaceful assembly, and one ambiguous reference to "constitutionally protected rights". IMO, the presser was very carefully worded to ensure that they are fighting this on 1A grounds, and specifically avoiding the 2A implications.

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    I am not seeing any mention of 2A, only one specific use of the words "First Amendment", several references to the right of peaceful assembly, and one ambiguous reference to "constitutionally protected rights". IMO, the presser was very carefully worded to ensure that they are fighting this on 1A grounds, and specifically avoiding the 2A implications.

Which means we do it for them. Then force them to deny. They will not. The court has spoken.

They need to protect their funding. But they also need to protect their credibility.

When they win we win...when we win they lose.. I can live with that,and use it to mess with liberals.

I play dirty.

Tyeraxus

Ultimate Member
    May 15, 2012
    East Tennessee

The national level ACLU is very uncomfortable with the 2A. Apparently a HUGE chunk of their funding comes from lib/prog donors who lean anti-RKBA, so they're afraid if they take explicitly pro-2A stances, the cash will dry up and they'll have to fold. The public stance is that they thought Miller said 2A is a collective, not an individual, right, and they are "reevaluating" in light of Heller (and need subsequent cases to clear up ambiguities).

Behind the scenes and off the record, some ACLU members/coordinators are willing to say "NRA/SAF/GOA are much better than us at this anyway, and we'll support 1A/4A/etc arguments in 2A cases if we can get away with it." State-level ACLU chapters do their own thing, and IIRC, Nevada ACLU explicitly recognizes 2A as an individual right.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Behind the scenes and off the record, some ACLU members/coordinators are willing to say "NRA/SAF/GOA are much better than us at this anyway, and we'll support 1A/4A/etc arguments in 2A cases if we can get away with it." State-level ACLU chapters do their own thing, and IIRC, Nevada ACLU explicitly recognizes 2A as an individual right.

From behind the curtain, those are the exact words I heard too. Like its being read from a script.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    ACLU filed the lawsuit against South Dakotas law to issue carry permits only to US citizens. This is not the first time they are 'dipping their toes' into 2A litigation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom