• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rmocarsky

Apr 20, 2011
    I don't know if anyone knows the answer to this.

Other than the special forces, what kind of knife fighting training does our Army/Marine Corp receive?

Rmocarsky

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    I did about 22yrs in and never did any knife training aside from bayonet drills in basic. Really, it's pretty low on the list of "need to know" things.

I was not infantry though and maybe they get some now, don't know.

I studied it some on my own but even then it was low on my list. Being able to run an M4 very well, M9 if needed, AK or other items I could get my hands on were higher on my list and I really like knives.

Fox123

Ultimate Member
    May 21, 2012
    Rosedale, MD
    Newer MCMAP covers basic knife fighting (basic slash and various stab) however it is pretty rudimentary and not exactly a high priority.

nedsurf

Ultimate Member
    Feb 8, 2013
    Bayonet drills. Which were IIRC parry/thrust practice with battle buddy with sheaths on and running an obstacle course stabbing old humanoid range targets.
    The next course of knife training is when the fresh privates went and bought stupidly large knives from the retired vet. knife table guy in the mini mall next to Anthony's pizza. On the next FTX the fresh privates would attempt to whittle elaborate lean-to hooches while everyone else dug fighting positions and just hung up their ponchos with bungees. Excuse me, I need to go read the duffle blog now to fill my quota of nostalgia. :)

ROBAR35

Living the farm life
    May 20, 2010
    Howard Co.
    We did some unit training with a Ranger platoon and spent about 4 hrs. On it, more defensive than offensive. So not much.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    Most use his book..........

bill_murray-stripes1981-1330.jpg

MdPrep

Tactically Tactless
    Sep 24, 2014
    12 years in the Army and we dealt with defending a knife attack in combatives as well as some in MP school.

Scottysan

Ultimate Member
    May 19, 2008
    Maryland
    Bayonet drills in Basic/Infantry school. Pugil sticks. some basic judo, which I already knew. I learned more in Jr. High School about hand and ground fighting.

240 towles

master of puppets
    Mar 31, 2009
    ?
    I was always told "if you go into battle with a rifle, grenade launcher, and a pistol, and you end up fighting with a knife, you messed up somewhere". Oddly they focus more on that annoying Brazilian jujitsu, although I think that is more fun PT/ stress reliever focused.

I honestly received more knife fighting training in corrections than anything.

5cary

On the spreading edge of the butter knife.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2007
    Sykesville, MD
    It was a while ago, but we spent a significant amount of training time on knife fighting at the 2d Mar Div Scout Sniper school. There was a small training area behind the Sneads Ferry Rifle Range (where the school was located) that they called "The Swap". It was set up with marked posts and rings for knife drills and sentry removal. I have pics of that area somewhere.

Flametamer

MDS Supporter
    Mar 6, 2014
    Frederick County
    As a PJ in Nam, we did knife drills 2 or 3 days before first mission over DMZ. Didn't feel like enough to me, but when I found myself in a really hairy situation with 2 badly wounded aircrew, and two empty 1911's, that Kbar saved three lives.

cb51

I took my boot camp at Ft. Dix, summer of 1972. Just a tad of bayonet drills, and some pugil stick, and that was it. No knife training.

Later at AIT Ft. leonard Wood Mo. we had some riot training, but that was with long wood riot batons. I never figured out why engineers got riot stick training.

Later, in 1975, while at Walter Reed in D.C. for rehab, the doctor who was in charge of my rehab brought in some kendo stuff because I was being kind of an ass, and he wanted to motivate me to put more weight and trust on my right foot and ankle. It worked, and I learned to use a stick. But no nice training at all.

brandon1988

Jul 31, 2011
    GAITHERSBURG
    well when I went through basic/ait in 07 at ft benning, we were taught basic bayonet drills and something called GFT (ground fighting techniques) which is basically Jiu Jitsu.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom