• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    Unfortunately, I think those would fail.

First, they're not HBAR profile (because they taper under the handguards) and secondly they are advertised as:

"Barrel Profile: Modified Mid Weight Government Profile or Government Profile (STD)"

The way that the law is written, the barrel has to either a) be marked as a heavy barrel, or b) be advertised that way by the manufacturer or dealer.

Joe524

Apr 12, 2016
    North East
    Tracking,
    Just had to throw it out there and see how it'd be interpreted. I can't argue that. The alternatives to my issue have been addressed and I just need to decide which way to go. It'd be cheapest to just go the HBAR route and just buy an inexpensive Upper (No BCG or Charging Handle) for about $270 or so.

Joe524

Apr 12, 2016
    North East
    I'm not well versed with the 300 blackout realm. My lower and BCG good to go with an upper as such? I figure, if I need to spend money in order to legalize my AR, mine as well make it different than what I've got and usable.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    I'm not well versed with the 300 blackout realm. My lower and BCG good to go with an upper as such? I figure, if I need to spend money in order to legalize my AR, mine as well make it different than what I've got and usable.

Yes. Your 5.56 lower and BCG will work fine with .300BLK. So will your 5.56 magazines. You just need a new upper.

CruncherBlock

Mar 29, 2016
    How is the HBAR law enforced? Is the OP required to register his rifle when he enters the state? What sort of situation would the OP have to be in to have someone questioning him about the rifle?

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    How is the HBAR law enforced? Is the OP required to register his rifle when he enters the state? What sort of situation would the OP have to be in to have someone questioning him about the rifle?

That's the million dollar question, and like many other gun laws, it's enforced when it's enforced.

It's not like there are "gun police" who go around checking on this stuff.

Yet.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Question; can he still own the original upper in Merryland as long as he never uses it here, as in, goes to another FREE state and slaps onto his existing lower? I'm thinking yes.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    Question; can he still own the original upper in Merryland as long as he never uses it here, as in, goes to another FREE state and slaps onto his existing lower? I'm thinking yes.

Yes.

It's the same as some members here who have an SBR for which they keep a shorter stock that they use when they're out of state and don't have to meet the stupid 29" rule.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Whne moving the ar be sure not to stop in washington. Pass through should be fine so long as it is locked and separate from ammo.

I would not even take a chance driving thru DC with any firearm, ammo or ammo components.

There is absolutely no reason to take the risk. FOPA just means that you should be able to prevail in Federal Court of Appeals.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    OAL on a MD and Federal Level is measured with the stock open and the muzzle device removed. The muzzle device only counts for barrel length and oal when permanenemy attached.

If you have a 14.5" Barrel and it does not have a permanent muzzle device its not legal.

I mentioned this because if the barrel is 16"+, with a permanent muzzle device, MD sees it as a rifle. It does not fall into the SBR category unless the barrel is shorter than 16.00".

Unfortunately, BATFE has stated in writing that an SBR, with a 16"+ barrel is not at that time an SBR.

So like you say, SBR it and remove pinning, and it is MD legal. Or HBAR barrel/upper.

Alutacon

Desert Storm
    May 22, 2013
    Bowie
    Second post. Woops. I meannnnt first post in this forum? No I wasn't 18 series. 11B team mate/squad mate, who was also gunsmith on the side. I was close, but not cigar with the 18-series, MOS phase.

Thank you for the replies and the information. It is a rainier arms CFH 14.5" barrel.

huah! Welcome to MD. It's a great state in many ways, but the guns laws definitely suck. As said by others, put a heavy barrel on it.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Well ... It could be an SBR with >16in bbl IF less than 26in oal and has shoulder stock. Not likely with an AR though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom