• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Picked up an H&R Handi rifle in 300 Blackout awhile ago and looking for scope recommendations for it. I mostly plan to shoot suppressed subsonic. Wondering how much magnification I really need.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD

Silverlax

Nov 13, 2014
    Eastern Shore
    Vortex has started shipping out their Strike Eagle 1-6 and it is illuminated. Similar price point to the primary arms at distributors.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Vortex has started shipping out their Strike Eagle 1-6 and it is illuminated. Similar price point to the primary arms at distributors.

Not surprisingly, Primary Arms is selling the Strike Eagle too. I have the Primary Arms 1-6 with the BDC tuned to 5.56. I suspect that the Strike Eagle might be similar in this regard. The size and the weight of the Primary Arms and Vortex 1-6 are pretty close too - should look to see if there are comparative reviews yet.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    I've been fairly happy with 1 - 4X Vortex @ 80 yds but very interested in the strike Eagle, if I can get my brain to decipher the difference in 556/300 super/300 sub subtends. So, I would say > 4X since the 1-6 is becoming more popular, but that is me.

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    I have a Nikon 3X on mine it's perfect.

blackoutwscope_zps2acd945e.jpg

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    A friend has the Primary Arms 1-6 for 3 gun and likes it. Specs are basically the same as the Vortex Strike Eagle. Though $60 cheaper. But I got an email today good until Tues that will give me 11% off at Optics Planet so price for Vortex would be $294 with a life time vs 3 year warranty so it seems like a no brainer if I decide to go this route. Except 25-30 day wait. I like what I read on the new Primary Arms 300/7.62x39 you guys mentioned but not available for a couple of months and only a 1 yr warranty.
    DA thanks for your input. I did not know this about the drop similarities. I do have a Nikon RF 3-9x40 BDC so that is a cheap option for me, though bigger than I'd like on this little rifle. I also have a couple of spare 4x scopes laying around so now it's decision time.

TyFromMD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2011
    Maryland
    I have a Leupold AR Mod-1 1.5-4 Firedot SPR on my 300blk 10.5" SBR and a Nikon P-300 2-7 on my Ruger American Ranch. While the Leupold is nicer, having that extra magnification sure does help.

Merlin593

Mar 29, 2013
    Towson, MD
    A friend has the Primary Arms 1-6 for 3 gun and likes it. Specs are basically the same as the Vortex Strike Eagle. Though $60 cheaper. But I got an email today good until Tues that will give me 11% off at Optics Planet so price for Vortex would be $294 with a life time vs 3 year warranty so it seems like a no brainer if I decide to go this route. Except 25-30 day wait. I like what I read on the new Primary Arms 300/7.62x39 you guys mentioned but not available for a couple of months and only a 1 yr warranty.
    DA thanks for your input. I did not know this about the drop similarities. I do have a Nikon RF 3-9x40 BDC so that is a cheap option for me, though bigger than I'd like on this little rifle. I also have a couple of spare 4x scopes laying around so now it's decision time.

Don't let a one year warranty hold you back if the PA is what you really want to get. PA probably has the best customer service out there and if you have any legitimate issues with one of their products, they replace it for you right away-whether in warranty or not.
    I like the looks of the Strike Eagle too but the reticle is not calibrated for the .300 cartridge.
    Personally I'd much rather get something that is made for the specific caliber gun I would be using it on. The ACSS reticle is very unique - read the reviews of the other scopes they have it on - generally 5/5 stars from numerous reviews (not just a few)

friendlyhippo

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 7, 2015
    Glen Burnout
    Don't let a one year warranty hold you back if the PA is what you really want to get. PA probably has the best customer service out there and if you have any legitimate issues with one of their products, they replace it for you right away-whether in warranty or not.
    I like the looks of the Strike Eagle too but the reticle is not calibrated for the .300 cartridge.
    Personally I'd much rather get something that is made for the specific caliber gun I would be using it on. The ACSS reticle is very unique - read the reviews of the other scopes they have it on - generally 5/5 stars from numerous reviews (not just a few)

The reticle on the Vortex will be just as "close enough" as the PA. Neither one is calculated to a specific ammo from a specific gun (especially when you factor in all the different barrel lengths used on .300BLK rifles). They're ballpark estimates that should get you solid hits on a given target at distance, but even the PA reticle won't be exact to every firearm shooting every load of a given type.

Anyone with military or LE credentials also qualifies for the Vortex discount program....which thoroughly negates any price difference being discussed here. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom