Where to find German Lugers for cheap???!!!

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Local24MD

Apr 1, 2015
    Perry Hall
    I'm assuming that this may just be a myth but I figured I would ask on here anyway. I've checked a lot of different places and it seems like most Lugers are well over $1000. My father really likes them and has always talked about them then when I got my C&R license he keeps saying "you could/should get a Luger" so I'm looking to purchase one for him as a gift. It doesn't have to me some really fancy looking piece but I would like it to be somewhat decent. The only problem is the only ones I've seen for under $1000 are just stripped frames and well I'd feel a little bad giving him a Luger carcass. Anyone know of anywhere that may have good deals?

Bafflingbs

Gozer the Destroyer
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2013
    Calvert County
    There's one in the classifieds, here, but it $1,500. It looks like quite a deal, and I'd go for it if I could. There are also P-38's at Wideners, for $500.

Dan44

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2008
    Gunbroker, and I would join both Luger Forums. There are shooters for sale sometimes by members.

Local24MD

Apr 1, 2015
    Perry Hall
    Yeah I saw the one in the classifieds but was still looking for something a little cheaper, it looks good though. Will have to check out the places you 2 mentioned. Thanks for the help

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    I've picked up 2 in the last year. $1K for a 1920 commercial, all correct (except mag) in 7.65 (.30) Luger, from an LGS

Just recently picked up a 1917 correct except Mags (2 of them) and replacement grips in 9mm. Springs also seemed weak ( I ordered some for it) for $850. Both have pretty decent although not fantastic finishes, They're out there, and prices recently on 'shooters' have been lower than I have seen in a number of years. The guys selling for $2K and up, unless they have something extra special (or perhaps a complete rig), are keeping a lot of their guns listed for a looonnnng time.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    You're looking at numbers matching collectors pieces for those prices. You should be able to find a mismatch shooter for $800-1200 depending on condition, year, and caliber. It may take some time if you want to find a deal. I spent almost a year looking before I bought mine. I paid $1k for a mismatch 1940 P08 in about 85% or better finish condition. Its a tack driver too.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Getting deals on lugers are real hard because they are iconic, high demand and people know what they are. They sell for market and people post anywhere from market to nutzoid on the web.

You might be able to get a good shooter mis-match for $900 to $1,100 and sometimes there are still some bargains with VOPO pistols (what I am looking for a shooter).

The only people I know who have gotten "good deals" are those who work local markets, spend the time to build relationships with veterans communities etc and pay fair but some meat on the bone prices.

The one in the classifieds is a fair price. You will struggle to get something cheaper. Its a good, classic luger.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    Getting deals on lugers are real hard because they are iconic, high demand and people know what they are.

I disagree with the highlighted part of your post. They are hard to get deals on because people do NOT know what they have. All most people know is they have a Luger, and there is a perception that by simply being a Luger it is extremely rare and valuable. But in reality they're not quite as rare as people think. A lot folks see the pristine, matching, documented guns selling for big money and think in turn there's is worth a bunch as well. In my searching before I bought my shooter, I saw many, many shooter grade Lugers listed for collector grade prices with descriptions that focused on relatively unimportant details.

My best advice to the OP is do some learning on Lugers before you buy, so you know what you're looking at. There are a number of factors in the price of a Luger of varying significance.

Easytarget18

Señor Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    I think you should buy the one in the classifieds :innocent0

Seriously though, like others have said, you have to decide what you want. The two Luger forums are great places to start and every so often shooters for less than $1k come up for sale on their classifieds. If you want one with collector value (i.e. numbers matching) then you will have to do a lot of leg work and have a bunch of luck to find one less than a grand (it happens though). G&G relics usually offer a few that are refurbished around $1200. Here is another shooter on GB: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=482520941

jaybee

Ultimate Member
    when I read the Title

Where to find German Lugers for cheap???!!!

My brain automatically said --- Germany in 1946

you could probably buy one for a couple dollars or a bar of chocolate

missed that chance, now you gotta pay

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I disagree with the highlighted part of your post. They are hard to get deals on because people do NOT know what they have. All most people know is they have a Luger, and there is a perception that by simply being a Luger it is extremely rare and valuable. But in reality they're not quite as rare as people think. A lot folks see the pristine, matching, documented guns selling for big money and think in turn there's is worth a bunch as well. In my searching before I bought my shooter, I saw many, many shooter grade Lugers listed for collector grade prices with descriptions that focused on relatively unimportant details.

My best advice to the OP is do some learning on Lugers before you buy, so you know what you're looking at. There are a number of factors in the price of a Luger of varying significance.

I agree with you on that, people know a Luger can bring money but they may perceive top dollar for even the most basic gun. That said, lugers are expensive and there is demand from shooter to collector, to ultra high end collector.

More broadly I meant people know they are iconic and recognizable, which someone may not think of a HSC, that old revolver laying around, or some other wartime gun with potential collector value.

Easytarget18

Señor Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    There is a refinished shooter on lugerforum.com right now for $800 obo. Looks like it is matching (albeit with repo grips and it's been buffed).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom