• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pedals730

Jul 12, 2009
    The Land of the Rising Sun
    Cool. So I guess I measure the lower with the stock fully extended right? From there I can just use the standard measurement of an upper receiver and add 11.5 inches plus what ever fraction of measurement the quick attach muzzle break is for my suppressors. Sound right?

pwoolford

AR15's make me :-)
    Jan 3, 2012
    White Marsh
    Cool. So I guess I measure the lower with the stock fully extended right? From there I can just use the standard measurement of an upper receiver and add 11.5 inches plus what ever fraction of measurement the quick attach muzzle break is for my suppressors. Sound right?

You can only include the muzzle break if you permanently attach it. If you are using a 11.5 you should be fine measuring with the stock fully extended to the end of the barrel.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    The MD statute says < 29", so BATF should not kick back an SBR with an OAL of 29".

But who can predict what they'll do.

[FONT=&quot]1[/FONT][FONT=&quot]3 [/FONT][FONT=&quot]([/FONT][FONT=&quot]III[/FONT][FONT=&quot]) [/FONT][FONT=&quot]A SEMIAUTOMATIC CENTERFIRE RIFLE THAT HAS AN[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]1[/FONT][FONT=&quot]4 [/FONT][FONT=&quot]O[/FONT][FONT=&quot]VERALL LENGTH OF LESS THAN [/FONT][FONT=&quot] 29 [/FONT][FONT=&quot]INCHES[/FONT][FONT=&quot];
    [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]

pedals730

Jul 12, 2009
    Thanks again pwoolford! I am going to rocksett the muzzle brake so that should cover that. Apologies if my posts are a bit annoying. Just do not want to do this wrong and "F" things up. Appreciate it.

Swinokor thanks for the confirmation.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    maybe dumb, but I wouldn't want the possible hassle from BATFE. Better to be legal and avoid the possible hassles. Your decision of course.

pedals730

Jul 12, 2009
    Not arguing sir and I completely agree. The last thing I want is to do this wrong. Just somethings seem a big silly. I figure I will document the length without the brake and anything extra is a bonus. Better to be over then under.

Wayne1one

gun aficionado
    Feb 13, 2011
    Bowie, MD
    Not arguing sir and I completely agree. The last thing I want is to do this wrong. Just somethings seem a big silly. I figure I will document the length without the brake and anything extra is a bonus. Better to be over then under.
    With an 11.5" barrel you don't have to permanently attach your muzzle device! Either way the easier option would be to add a .70" magpul enhanced butt-pad to get you to your desired legal length, or just buy a Magpul ACS type stock which will give you more OAL than your CTR.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    You only need to pin or silver solder if you want the muzzle device to count in the OAL. As wayne pointed out, you're GTG with it as he describes.

pedals730

Jul 12, 2009
    Okay, so the best I can figure is I am sitting at 29.5 inches. I measured one of my rifles I keep here at work. OAL was 34" with a 16" upper minus the brake. Drop 4.5" and I end up at 29.5 without the muzzle brake. I guess that will do.

OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo
    I know right. Just did some research, which I should have done before typing, and I think I have it figured out. Sorry, three small kids and working well over 100 hours this past two weeks has somewhat diminished my intellect. That, or all the lead I have ingested over the years. Thanks.

Or that fluoride, you can never really tell. :tinfoil:
    With an 11.5" barrel you don't have to permanently attach your muzzle device! Either way the easier option would be to add a .70" magpul enhanced butt-pad to get you to your desired legal length, or just buy a Magpul ACS type stock which will give you more OAL than your CTR.

Another option is VLTOR A5 recoil system for adding length as the buffer tube is actually longer than a mil-spec tube.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    or turn it into a pistol and get rid of the stock completely. It's the fact that it is a completed lower with a stock that you need to account for it.

Because of the second sentence, you CAN NOT LEGALLY do the first.

Once built as a rifle, it must remain a rifle (SBR is also OK).

You can build it as a pistol first, then convert to rifle and back to pistol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom