• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brent

#2ALivesMatter
    Nov 22, 2013
    Amongst the Deplorables, SC.
    Anybody have hands on with these? I'm generally disinclined to go for a drum because of the added weight and mall-ninja-ness of them but these seem like a decent idea for extended range time. Just curious on people's takes.
    -Brent

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    They have not been released yet. I will simply say that, on the Saiga platform, the 20rd drum is a PITA, and the 12rd drum ("nutsack") is really pretty handy. Size and weight matter a lot, and if Magpul keeps both down, it could be a handy gadget.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I looked on the Midway site yesterday, expected delivery is now October.

I'd like to know what is causing the delay.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    I've seen the X-products drums work reliably (no issues.) Some other drums seem to have hangups (cough, beta, cough.) I've bought a x-prod for my 308 since there isn't a convenient big-arse conventional mag for them avail. For the 223s I picked up a surefire 60. I've also seen them operate reliably. Not much longer than a 30rd mag and cheaper than even the magpul drum. I have tested neither as I haven't been to VA recently to pick them up:( Purely range toys, but everything I own is. My Suomi and AK drums run flawlessly so I know it can be done.

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    With duct tape, jungle style.
    Major Reisman approves of this post.

th

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    I've seen the X-products drums work reliably (no issues.) Some other drums seem to have hangups (cough, beta, cough.) I've bought a x-prod for my 308 since there isn't a convenient big-arse conventional mag for them avail. For the 223s I picked up a surefire 60. I've also seen them operate reliably. Not much longer than a 30rd mag and cheaper than even the magpul drum. I have tested neither as I haven't been to VA recently to pick them up:( Purely range toys, but everything I own is. My Suomi and AK drums run flawlessly so I know it can be done.

A Magpul 25 with a TT base gives you 31; that's not too bad for a 308.

2015-06-20%2010.18.42_zpshrzfz1ul.jpg

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Had not seen the TT base. Thats interesting. But getting tall if shooting off a bench/prone.

those xproducts drums are around $300 a piece damn

Drums are not cheap. Go price a beta mag. FWIW, I paid $216 for the X91. The AR15(X15) ones are ~$200 street price but a $90 surefire 60 holds more, half the price, and isn't TOO much taller. The X15 drum is shorter than a 30rd mag - doesn't stick out much further than the grip.

HarCo2ANewb

Subibro
    Mar 24, 2011
    Elkridge
    I have a beta mag, just because, sitting next to the AR in the safe. Not cheap at all but it sure feels nice and hefty when fully loaded :D

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    I have a beta mag, just because, sitting next to the AR in the safe. Not cheap at all but it sure feels nice and hefty when fully loaded :D

Yeah, I bought 2 when they became legal again and dropped from $600 to $275. Have never used them. I also bought a Surefire 60 and maybe 100 but again never used.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    I do like the ratcheting loading feature. You push the lever and it depresses the top round down, so you can simply drop the next four in, and then repeat.

I'll stick to 40 round PMAGs though.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    That's getting away from the point, let's not deviate.

Oh no, 2 seconds? Not worth $100 more than 2 pmags.

Its EXACTLY the point.

I love this line of thinking. If you want to optimize $ of mags/round, drums are not the answer. No one claimed they were. Dumping a 72rd suomi drum/70rd AK drum/50+rd AR drum/etc is a GOOD time and will make just about anyone smile. High on the giggle factor scale. (About the only thing that beats drums are belts;)) Thats all that it needs to be to be 'worth' it to anyone. If not for you, thats ok too.

A $350 can cannon isn't 'worth' it either vs a real AR upper. Wasting crappy soda is still wasting something. But looks like a hell of a good time! Sign me up!

I waste money trying to shoot round orange things out of the sky for no apparent reason either. Never hunted birds a day in life, so not practicing for that. It makes me happy though so it is worth it to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom