• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jayc0968

Cpl, U.S.M.C. 87-92
    Sep 22, 2009
    Crofton, MD
    Probably not a big deal to some, but I just finished my first ever lower build.
    Took me about 2 hours with no special tools. Much easier than I had first thought.
    My upper will be here Tuesday, I'll post pics and specs when it arrives.

Attachments

• 2014-04-19_15-50-29_199.jpg
      2014-04-19_15-50-29_199.jpg
      81.6 KB · Views: 401

lsw

לא לדרוך עליי
    Sep 2, 2013
    Looks good! Make sure to get your foot in the picture when the upper is attached! :)

Apr 18, 2014
    Looks good just make sure the hammer spring is installed correctly. We were teaching an AR 15 101 class last Tuesday and 3 lowers that guys had built watching Utube had the hammer spring installed incorrectly.

bigdaddycoolfm

Mar 24, 2014
    ok so i am new at this..I have been told over and over that it is illegal to build my own AR for my own personal use.. yet i see folks posting their latest projects over and over again.. FreeState has 80% lowers for sale, Amazon is selling them.. I can buy a complete HBAR, but i really want to have something that i built myself.... so what is the deal? Can i build it or not?

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    You can't machine an 80% lower in md anymore. You also can't get stripped lowers in md anymore. Nor can you put a non-HBAR upper on any md legal gun purchased post 1 october 2013.

If you had a full hbar upper and an 80% paperweight and went to a different state where machining the lower was legal, finished it COMPLETELY into a full hbar rifle outside md, you would not be violating anything currently in MD law.

Whether that is enough to keep you out of trouble remains to be seen.

mazinger

Feb 11, 2013
    Columbia
    looks good. make sure that buffer tube isn't pointing up. if it is by more than a degree or 2, you could potentially have reliability issues caused by b/carrier dragging along the bottom of the tube.

jayc0968

Cpl, U.S.M.C. 87-92
    Sep 22, 2009
    Crofton, MD
    I'll check that zinger and ferret, thanks. I used a PSA LBK to complete it. Unless the tube was threaded off a bit, I think it should be okay. Will know more Tuesday, and next weekend when it gets run.

Adam Conover

Aug 6, 2013
    Looks great. I always liked the roll mark on the aero precision lowers. One suggest I would have would be to stake the castle nut with a center punch or an auto punch. That's one very cheap and easy way to avoid a potentially serious malfunction although somewhat rare.

Adam Conover

Aug 6, 2013
    I was unaware that it is now illegal to install a non hbar upper on a lower legally purchased before October 1. I would very much like clarification on this because it is the lower and the lower only that is registered it is the same as buying the complete rifle were as uppers are just a part like any other. I'm not saying this is incorrect just that I was unaware. It seems to me putting a a non hbar upper on a lower would be legally no different then replacing a trigger guard on a complete rifle or even switching uppers on a complete rifle already owned before October 1 because you are not legally constructing a firearm it already is at the point you bought it. That's kinda like saying since you can no longer buy magazines over a 10 round capacity you can't put a 20 round mag in your lower now

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    I was unaware that it is now illegal to install a non hbar upper on a lower legally purchased before October 1. I would very much like clarification on this because it is the lower and the lower only that is registered it is the same as buying the complete rifle were as uppers are just a part like any other. I'm not saying this is incorrect just that I was unaware. It seems to me putting a a non hbar upper on a lower would be legally no different then replacing a trigger guard on a complete rifle or even switching uppers on a complete rifle already owned before October 1 because you are not legally constructing a firearm it already is at the point you bought it. That's kinda like saying since you can no longer buy magazines over a 10 round capacity you can't put a 20 round mag in your lower now

Do you understand the meaning of the word "post"? Because as I clearly stated:

Nor can you put a non-HBAR upper on any md legal gun purchased post 1 october 2013.

Nobody said anything about a pre-10/1 receiver. The question was regarding building his own AR, which (if he doesn't have at least a lower he purchased before 1/10/13, he can't do. He would have to buy a complete HBAR rifle, then assemble his own HBAR-based upper, and change 'em out.

Unless he were to opt to purchase all the necessary parts to build a complete HBAR rifle out of state, take an 80% paperweight with him, and return in-state with a complete HBAR rifle.

As for your attempt to parallel any of your hypotheticals to magazines, the two are completely different. It's still not illegal to go out of state, buy all the magazines of any capacity you want, and bring them back into MD and own/use them. It is, however, illegal to go out of state (if you're an MD resident, which some of us aren't, so this doesn't necessarily apply), purchase, say, a Colt 6920, and bring it back into MD.

RIF? RIF.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    It means - if you didn't already have an AR with a light/gov't contour barrel before Oct. 1st 2013 and your a MD resident - your shyt outta luck while in this state. HBAR (heavy barrel) only if you didn't have a banned configuration previously.

If you have an 80% lower and you didn't finish it in state before Oct. 1st 2013, your shyt outta luck - in MD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom