Pre 10/1 stripper lower form 1 not grandfathered?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I don't see BATF allowing a previously approved form 1 >29' to be shortend to <29" after 10-13 and then becoming a copycat according to 281.

who knows

OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo
    I don't see BATF allowing a previously approved form 1 >29' to be shortend to <29" after 10-13 and then becoming a copycat according to 281.

who knows

Agree. However, as long as you readily retain the original configuration, they do not need to notified. At this point you're violating state law though. I wouldn't recommend it.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    exactly. if BATF wouldn't approve one now(<29") because of 281, just putting a barrel on it that then makes it <29" is not a good idea.

I would be more confident doing it on a pre 10-13 lower however, but they might say you "made" the weapon after 10-13 and nix that too.

who knows?

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co

who knows
    Agreed... if it gets done at > 29", it will have to likely stay that way to just keep on the right side of all the dang laws..

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Reply this afternoon from MSP...
    eba8u8u7.jpg

Sent from 21st century technology

wrc

unexpected T_STRING in
    May 31, 2012
    AACO
    Is this the dispute?

"I bought a lower pre-10/2013, it was built into a rifle (no way to prove against) pre 10/2013, now I wish to change it into an SBR"

vs.

"I bought a lower pre-10/2013, and until now I claim it has been nothing (unprovable). Now I want to put a < 16" barrel on it."

More shameful cruft. Laws for the sake of scoring political points and nothing else.

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    Is this the dispute?

"I bought a lower pre-10/2013, it was built into a rifle (no way to prove against) pre 10/2013, now I wish to change it into an SBR"

vs.

"I bought a lower pre-10/2013, and until now I claim it has been nothing (unprovable). Now I want to put a < 16" barrel on it."

More shameful cruft. Laws for the sake of scoring political points and nothing else.

If I were MSP, no, that would not be my argument. I would argue that lowers are not regulated firearms themselves. A person can possess an ALG they possessed before 10/1. A person can possess a Copycat possessed before 10/1. If I take a lower and made it into an ALG pre 10/1, I still can't make it a Copycat after 10/1, as I did not possess a Copycat Weapon before 10/1.

Though, I find it a foolhardy argument that an SBR is subject to the Copycat test for rifles. Small steps at a time, but that is being pushed also.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    However, MSP has told BATFE and they have accepted that a pre-10/1 rifle can be made into s shorter than 29" SBR.

Makes NO sense to treat a pre-10/1 lower any differently.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I had a form 1 on a 22" 9mm AR approved. It was submitted 9/3/13. It seems to be hit or miss. Some approved, some kicked back.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    If I were MSP, no, that would not be my argument. I would argue that lowers are not regulated firearms themselves. A person can possess an ALG they possessed before 10/1. A person can possess a Copycat possessed before 10/1. If I take a lower and made it into an ALG pre 10/1, I still can't make it a Copycat after 10/1, as I did not possess a Copycat Weapon before 10/1.

Though, I find it a foolhardy argument that an SBR is subject to the Copycat test for rifles. Small steps at a time, but that is being pushed also.

My pre 10/1 lowers all had an upper with all the evil features attached before 10/1. Prove they didn't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom