• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bisleyfan44

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2008
    Wicomico
    IDK, maybe I read it wrong... but he said he's not a hunter or a competitive shooter, just wants a bolt gun in his life. One (myself) could only assume from that point that it will be a safe queen or a paper puncher. I gave my recommendation based on that.

No, you didn't read it wrong, it's just that all the ones posing all these questions that need to be nailed down before giving their recommendation and berating others for offering their opinions, DID NOT READ THE OP themselves!!

Yes he did. He did say he was NOT a hunter or competitive shooter. Just said he needs to have a bolt action in his life. Pretty sure that means an inexpensive, all around bolt action.

Which equals a Savage 110 :)

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    My statement was in fun..to a point. That being after post #1(the op) he never posted again. A little rude. So everyone gives their .02¢ and never get a reply. I've always replied to my threads and thank those for their advise.

Ranchero50

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    FWIW, My son and I ended up with a pair of .243's yesterday. He bought a plastic stocked Savage 110 for $300 and I ended up with a laminate stock Remington Model 7 for $600. Both had Bushnell 3-9x40 scopes, had similar trigger feel and were equally accurate shooting 30 yards offhand. Only real difference was the Savage was nose heavy compared to the Remmy and the plastic stock has a plastic butt plate that bruised my shoulder. Kid wants a wooden stock for his with a decent butt plate.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Hmm, not hunter or not competitive shooter is good, but not ALL the answers.

Just for fun shooting? What range? Any idea of cartridge?

Heck, for all around fun, a CZ455 in .22LR meets the needs.

bm3r

Mar 25, 2013
    Hey everyone I too am looking for a bolt action rifle (will be my first)

OP I hope you dont mind me posting here (so I dont create a new thread) :sad20:

I feel the largest caliber ill need/want is a 308

Criteria:

-wood furniture
    -must be new
    -20" most likely the max

Possible candidates:

Mauser
    Cz
    Izhmash

Full length wood or partially exposed barrel?

Bipod ok with full length wood?

Scope mounts ok with full length wood?

Thank you!

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    WRT full length wood or not, that depends on what YOU want. Not really any performance difference.

Bipod is fine with either. As are scope mounts (scope mounts are on TOP, the wood is on the BOTTOM :) ).

.308 is a good all around caliber. And good general purpose caliber. But, if you don't reload, /.30-06 has more available factory loadings for different uses.

nerfherder

Apr 22, 2011
    right here
    WRT full length wood or not, that depends on what YOU want. Not really any performance difference.

Bipod is fine with either. As are scope mounts (scope mounts are on TOP, the wood is on the BOTTOM :) ).

.308 is a good all around caliber. And good general purpose caliber. But, if you don't reload, /.30-06 has more available factory loadings for different uses.

And - during the big ammo drought .30-06 was about all you could find.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Also very true.

.30-06 is not as popular with long range precision shooters, as you can get almost the same performance out of a .308, but with a short action. .30-06 requires a long action, and many feel if you have to go to a long action, you might as well go to a magnum cartridge.

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    Hey everyone I too am looking for a bolt action rifle (will be my first)

OP I hope you dont mind me posting here (so I dont create a new thread) :sad20:

I feel the largest caliber ill need/want is a 308

Criteria:

-wood furniture
    -must be new
    -20" most likely the max

Possible candidates:

Mauser
    Cz
    Izhmash

Full length wood or partially exposed barrel?

Bipod ok with full length wood?

Scope mounts ok with full length wood?

Thank you!

I don't think the OP will mind..he's on a bit of a walkabout on his thread. Would have been better to start own tho.

new_shooter

Ultimate Member
    Jun 26, 2010
    I love these threads. It's basically 'free association', a psychiatric technique where the patient just keeps saying whatever comes to his mind after you give them a keyword.

Had the OP just said 'I want a dog' the recommendations would have been:

Dachsen
    Chesapeake Retriever
    Golden Retriever
    Great Dane
    Nufie
    Bichon
    Mutt
    American Bulldog

Cat.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    Also very true.

.30-06 is not as popular with long range precision shooters, as you can get almost the same performance out of a .308, but with a short action. .30-06 requires a long action, and many feel if you have to go to a long action, you might as well go to a magnum cartridge.

What is the problem with a long action for distance shooting? For fast follow up shots I understand a quicker (albeit) fractions of seconds for short action. What other benefits of short vs long?

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    What is the problem with a long action for distance shooting? For fast follow up shots I understand a quicker (albeit) fractions of seconds for short action. What other benefits of short vs long?

Nothing WRONG with it.

It makes the rifle a bit longer for the same barrel length. And it makes follow up shot a bit longer.

But the idea is, is why would you want any disadvantage for a very small increase in performance? When you can get a nice step up in performance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom