• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    First thing.

What do YOU plan on doing with the rifle?

Hunt? Shoot targets? What distance?

If you plan on hunting, you want a lighter weight rifle to carry around. If only targets, you can go with a heavier barrel for better accuracy and less "walk" due to heating.

These all affect your decision.

Rem 700 has the advantage of being the AR of the bolt world. Everything you can imagine and many things you cannot are available to take it from mild to wild.

But if you want a basic rifle, that you will not customize, then that is not a big deal for you.

All the other ones mentioned are fine, and all have their pluses and minuses.

Another thing to consider before you pick the rifle, is what caliber? That can affect your choices.

chad2

Mar 26, 2011
    Tikka t3 varmint in any caliber of your choice the best gun for the price. Cz is on pare if not a little better.

nerfherder

Apr 22, 2011
    right here
    A Savage 11-VT from Dick's isn't the worst choice you could make. For ~600 you get a bull barrel .308 with an accutrigger and a cheap scope that's ready to go. I like mine.

338lapua09

Feb 7, 2013
    3rd rock from sun
    Like few said on here ,buy what looks and feels good to you..You can't go wrong with a 308..
    Now Do It an tell us how good a day at the range is..

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    CZ, Savage, Ruger, Remington. I feel like Remington has gone down hill. I have a Thompson Center Icon that is awesome - but they don't make them any more. If you want a general purpose caliber I would say 6.5 Creedmoor or 260 Rem. But that really depends on what you want. 308 has a nice kick to it in a light bolt gun. Not so much in a heavy semi-auto.

browning guy

SCRUFFY NERF HERDER
    Dec 10, 2009
    Essex
    First thing.

What do YOU plan on doing with the rifle?

Hunt? Shoot targets? What distance?

If you plan on hunting, you want a lighter weight rifle to carry around. If only targets, you can go with a heavier barrel for better accuracy and less "walk" due to heating.

These all affect your decision.

Rem 700 has the advantage of being the AR of the bolt world. Everything you can imagine and many things you cannot are available to take it from mild to wild.

But if you want a basic rifle, that you will not customize, then that is not a big deal for you.

All the other ones mentioned are fine, and all have their pluses and minuses.

Another thing to consider before you pick the rifle, is what caliber? That can affect your choices.

Read this post , then read it again....yes this post is that good!
    All Things needed to answer this question are found above in a good format.

Screwtop.243

Ouch...that thing kicks
    Jul 7, 2011
    People's republic of MD
    I'd go for a Savage. I have a Model 10 FCP-SR and I would have to say the thing literally shoots itself into 1/2 MOA all day freakin' long. Ditto to what others have said on the Remington 700's. I have an older one that is nice but the later ones have lawyer triggers and might be as good as an outa the box Savage after you put $500+ into accurizing one.

Old Browning A-Bolts kick ass too (don't waste your time on the newer X-Bolts). Mine came free floated with an adjustable trigger and is the deadliest thing I own, piling up scores of chucks and white-tail over the years.

Whitey

Collector and involved.
    Apr 5, 2014
    Central MD
    Savage 110! There's a buncha posts in this direction for a reason. Never owned a Remington 700, but read some interesting inputs

Yoshi

Invictus
    Jun 9, 2010
    Someplace in Maryland
    Lots of good advice here. Personally, I'd go with a Savage. But, I'd stay away from the Axis.

Why Savage? First, they are incredible values. Second, they "shoot". Third, you dont have a to send it off to a smith if you want to change the caliber. (Probably not important to most shooters though.) They are also just as customizable as Remingtons, but you wont have the sheer number of options the 700 has. I didn't have any problem with the way they looked either. Once you get behind the gun, they all look the same. :)

I had a Savage Precision Carbine and LRP and both were sub-MOA out of the box. E.Shell can verify that. Wish I still had them.

BLS27

May 1, 2015
    Mt. Airy
    If it's in your price range, Buy a Tikka T3 CTR. I promise you, you will never regret the day you got it. Savages are also a big thumbs up. I've shot my friends FCP-K and it's very accurate.

I have two bolt guns in 308. Tikka t3 and a FN SPR. Both are awesome rifles but for the price, you cannot beat the Tikka.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom