• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • One Wire

Jul 25, 2012
    I'm looking at buying my first bolt action rifle. Remington 700 by all account is a no brainer....However the Mossberg MVP series and Predator have also peak my interest... magazine fed bolt action. The Ruger American feels just as sweet. I'm not a hunter or competitive shooter I just want a bolt action.308 in my life. Thanks for your input

Billman

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?
    May 18, 2010
    Sykesville, MD
    Take a hard look at Savage, I doubt you will find a better value and performance.

I have 3 Remington 700 rifles, none were out of the box shooters. Extremely long chambers and horrible triggers.

With a little tweaking the Remington 700 is a fantastic gun. Your mileage may vary.

tylerevans42

May 31, 2015
    I picked up a Remington 700 in .308 from a gentleman on here. I am very pleased with it and it was a solid deal.

I'm sure if you put in the time and check periodically, you'll come across a great gun for an affordable price.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Tikka. guaranteed out of the box accuracy. Own one of the Tac models and have set up several other T3s for customers. I won't buy a 700 made after the 1980s and, even then, I'm only buying the guns to harvest the receivers. The Rem barrels and triggers go directly to the scrap hopper. For out of the box american made, look at savage.

axshon

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Howard County
    If you're just looking to HAVE one, head down to the LGS and test a few out for how the stock fits you, how the trigger breaks, how the bolt feels. From what I've seen it's tough to find a factory .308 these days that isn't a 1 MOA gun out of the box. Get the one that feels the best in your shoulder and doesn't kill your wallet. Go plink with it for a while and sell it for something else if you decide you don't like it. You won't lose much in the resale.

F8L_Funnel

Jan 28, 2013
    Thompson Center Venture Predator Win Max in .308. Nice balance. Crisp Trigger. Good Price.

schnmbang

Aug 23, 2014
    I used to only buy Remington 700s which had horrible triggers untill I put timneys on them. Now I mainly use my Savages

hi3cho

Ultimate Member
    Nov 16, 2012
    Edgemere
    Savage Axis II XP with the accutrigger. I purchased a 308 with scope a camo pattern for $355 after transfer fees and a $50 rebate savage was running last year. It was mounted and boresighted and didnt take much to zero. It is a great shooter right out of the box.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    I used to be a Remington 700 only snob. (I still own a couple of their rifles.)

Now, to me, Savage is ugly has Hades, but, shoots extremely well.

Ruger American is getting a lot of good reviews.

Right now................. Savage.

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    Why not opt for a Springfield '03-A3? It'll tick two boxes—vintage [US] military surplus and accurate bolt rifle—and it remains one of "the best target" rifles extant.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom