• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Seeker

Seeker of Truth
    Aug 1, 2012
    Laurel, PG County, MD
    Some backstory:

Last week there was a search going on in my immediate area for a breaking and entering suspect, involving a MDSP helicopter circling for hours, and officers searching the park and woods near my home. During this time, I decided to put on my holster and open carry on my own property.

At one point I saw a guy I did not recognize go walking into the local park they'd been searching. He had his face partially covered by a hoodie (without having his arms in it at all, just draped down his back like a cape) which seemed a bit odd, so I called 911 to relay the info just in case. About 10 minutes later an officer came up the street, and I waved to him (I'd been outside talking to my neighbor) to flag him down and told him I was the one who called and described what I'd seen.

This is when things got confusing and I'd like others' insight into whether there is a local or county law that conflicts with the state law on carrying on your own property.

The officer told me the guy they were looking for was likely far away by that point, and didn't ask me more details, but just asked, "are you law enforcement?" I said, "no." At that point he pointed to my side and said, "your sidearm has to be in the house." I said, "I'm staying on my own property." He said, "That doesn't matter, if you're not law enforcement it still needs to stay in the house, unfortunately."

I wanted to talk with him more about the manhunt so I complied and put the gun in the safe and came back out, and didn't bring the issue up again. But

The state law that applies is here. According to that, carrying on your own real estate is perfectly legal (openly or concealed). Is there some local Laurel ordinance, or PG County law that might make this more restrictive? Or was the officer merely incorrect in his understanding of the law? Or was he perhaps simply uncomfortable having a person carry a gun without a badge and so was trying to mislead me? The fact that he said "unfortunately" makes me wonder if he's on our side but doesn't know the law..

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    Notice the very clever word use. He did not command you. He observed outloud that "it needs to be in the house". That was a wish/request that does not rise to the level of a lawful order

By having you take it inside you satisfied his wishes.

All the agencies train their officers to issue requests in the 3rd person that sound like their requests are mandatory. Ask for a supervisor next time.

Seeker

Seeker of Truth
    Aug 1, 2012
    Laurel, PG County, MD
    Notice the very clever word use. He did not command you. He observed outloud that "it needs to be in the house". That was a wish/request that does not rise to the level of a lawful order

By having you take it inside you satisfied his wishes.

Yes, temporarily, just so I could approach his car and talk to him... It went back into the holster out as soon as he was gone... ;)

I've printed out the MD Statute, and highlighted the sections on carry on your own real estate, so if another officer ever tries to tell me something like this I'll be able to show him the paper.

PIT BULL

Mar 5, 2013
    Open or concealed on your OWN property is perfectly legal. However you did the right thing by honoring his request and not mentioning it anymore.

zombiehunter

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2008
    I'm all for carrying when you can and doing so as often as possible and you're completely in the legal safe zone doing so.

My question is why would you hang around outside while they were looking for someone who might have been in your back park place thing? I'm sure yard work could have been put off a day or two and I'm sure there was some sporting event or movie that could have entertained you. Just my two cents.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    And remember, even if there is a local ordnance, it has been preempted by the state law.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Depends on when it was passed. There are a few still in effect IIRC.

La Plata, Rockville, a couple others I think.

I'm all for carrying when you can and doing so as often as possible and you're completely in the legal safe zone doing so.

My question is why would you hang around outside while they were looking for someone who might have been in your back park place thing? I'm sure yard work could have been put off a day or two and I'm sure there was some sporting event or movie that could have entertained you. Just my two cents.

Something similar happened in/near my neighborhood last year.LE flying in/out,helo flying over,etc.I sent family inside as a friend and I continued to cook on the grill.It was my assumption it was a domestic or something up the street.Found out the next day it was an armed robbery and the suspects fled to my neighborhood,none of the 12 cars felt the need to inform anyone what was happening.

Biff_N

Jan 7, 2010
    PG County police.

Are you in West Laurel? If so and you ever go to the neighborhood meetings at the community center take a few minutes to speak with Cpl. Beasock if he is there. I think the next meeting is next week.

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    This extends to any property you own, so I can carry at my 18.5 acres, which I did the other day as I was alone and walking around. I felt a little silly since I saw/heard no one, but I sure as hell wasn't nervous LOL. I paced back and forth the yardages at my shooting range and filled in the holes a fox dug in the backstop too, so I could say I was under 2 exemptions at that time... I could have been coyote hunting too LMAO, that would make 3.

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    I carry on my property all the time. Mowing the grass, watering the flowers, grilling, playing with the kids. Pretty much, if I am home, I am armed. However, I NEVER open carry. I see absolutely no utility in doing so. Others' needs may not match my own, obviously, but I see no need in a populated, liberal, suburban area, to incur the questions of soccer moms and their calls to LE. Plus, if a bad guy tries to sneak up on me while I am mowing the lawn, I would rather he assume I am unarmed, like most people in MD. ;-)

MdPrep

Tactically Tactless
    Sep 24, 2014
    Some backstory:

Last week there was a search going on in my immediate area for a breaking and entering suspect, involving a MDSP helicopter circling for hours, and officers searching the park and woods near my home. During this time, I decided to put on my holster and open carry on my own property.

At one point I saw a guy I did not recognize go walking into the local park they'd been searching. He had his face partially covered by a hoodie (without having his arms in it at all, just draped down his back like a cape) which seemed a bit odd, so I called 911 to relay the info just in case. About 10 minutes later an officer came up the street, and I waved to him (I'd been outside talking to my neighbor) to flag him down and told him I was the one who called and described what I'd seen.

This is when things got confusing and I'd like others' insight into whether there is a local or county law that conflicts with the state law on carrying on your own property.

The officer told me the guy they were looking for was likely far away by that point, and didn't ask me more details, but just asked, "are you law enforcement?" I said, "no." At that point he pointed to my side and said, "your sidearm has to be in the house." I said, "I'm staying on my own property." He said, "That doesn't matter, if you're not law enforcement it still needs to stay in the house, unfortunately."

I wanted to talk with him more about the manhunt so I complied and put the gun in the safe and came back out, and didn't bring the issue up again. But

The state law that applies is here. According to that, carrying on your own real estate is perfectly legal (openly or concealed). Is there some local Laurel ordinance, or PG County law that might make this more restrictive? Or was the officer merely incorrect in his understanding of the law? Or was he perhaps simply uncomfortable having a person carry a gun without a badge and so was trying to mislead me? The fact that he said "unfortunately" makes me wonder if he's on our side but doesn't know the law..

Sounds as if this LEO might have been uncomfortable. I must say though, not knowing you from Adam, this might have caused me to do the same thing if for nothing more than my own safety and peace of mind. However ... Your citation of the law is correct and you were well within your rights to have kept your piece on your side. Maybe would have been different if the manhunt wasn't the priority??

Seeker

Seeker of Truth
    Aug 1, 2012
    Laurel, PG County, MD

I'd been out there only a couple minutes handing the mail carrier a package (she came to me in the yard, I never stepped off property), and we talked for a minute about the manhunt going on. Then my neighbor was pulling in so I waited to talk to him when I saw the guy walk by, and dialed 911. Then the mail lady came back to tell me she'd seen that guy too and didn't recognize him, and my neighbor and I spoke for a few minutes. All told, I was out there for about 15 minutes total, mostly while talking to one person or another.

But regardless, I am not the type to be held prisoner for hours in my home. I don't generally carry when I'm at home unless there is some elevated threat level. I did not suspect the guy would rush me, but had the handgun just in case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom