Need Some Help (bringing pistols in from out-of-state years ago)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ZeroCool

Nov 8, 2006
    New PA Resident...
    Hello All,

Potential loaded question for the group - let's say that you knew someone who purchased several pistols while living/stationed in various states. Now let's say that they moved back to Maryland years ago (~2006) and that these pistols were not registered in MD at that time.

Were they required to register them back in 2006 when they moved here? If so, are they only inviting trouble by registering them now (since they moved here so long ago)?

It wasn't even a thought of this person when they moved here - it was not until recently with the HQL/FSA foolishness that it crossed their minds. They have purchased several regulated firearms while in MD so it's not like they are against registering them but if it's not a requirement and/or they will potentially face problems because they waited so long then they are going to really assess their options.

I know no one can provide legal advice but was hoping that someone could maybe point to some ordinance/law that would help us out one way or the other because I'm stumped.

Thanks!

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    registration was voluntary. no need to register them.... unless they are machine guns.

only became mandatory after oct 1 of last year, fsa281. if they are here already ..grandfathered in.

Apr 15, 2013
    Yeah, no trouble there. If they were legally owned and legally purchased elsewhere, they could be brought in without informing anyone. Of course IANAL and all that, but moving into the state with pistols was a non issue.

ZeroCool

Nov 8, 2006
    New PA Resident...
    Thanks for the fast responses everyone - I was thinking/hoping that it was something along those lines!

Definitely no "assault" :rofl: pistols; I honestly don't even think any of them take >10 rd mags (from what I can recall it was two revolvers and a S&W 4506).

Thanks again, you all rock :party29:

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Yeah, no trouble there. If they were legally owned and legally purchased elsewhere, they could be brought in without informing anyone. Of course IANAL and all that, but moving into the state with pistols was a non issue.

As has been mentioned, not if they are listed on the assault pistol list. If so, they cannot have been legally brought into the State after 1994.

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    Thanks for the fast responses everyone - I was thinking/hoping that it was something along those lines!

Definitely no "assault" :rofl: pistols; I honestly don't even think any of them take >10 rd mags (from what I can recall it was two revolvers and a S&W 4506).

Thanks again, you all rock :party29:

Believe it or not, I have a rimfire that is classified by the great state of MD as an "assault pistol"... it is pretty freakin' ridiculous. Welcome to Absurdastan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom