• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ROBAR35

Living the farm life
    May 20, 2010
    Howard Co.
    More SB281

Gun Violence Prevention Advocates Celebrate One Year Anniversary of Firearms Safety Act

Call On Candidates to Endorse Life-Saving Measure

Today at 11am at the Lakefront in Columbia, Marylanders To Prevent Gun Violence and the Maryland State Conference of NAACP Branches will celebrate the one year anniversary of the effective date of the life-saving Firearms Safety Act of 2013. Leaders of the two groups will discuss the law’s progress and call upon all candidates for state and local office in Maryland to publicly announce their support for the law and their commitment to fully implement it.

Although it is too early to directly measure the impact of the new law in Maryland, we know that similar measures in other states, particularly fingerprint licensing of handgun purchasers, has helped to reduce gun violence. In Maryland, the number of gun deaths has decreased by 15% between the first eight months of 2013 and the first eight months of 2014.

Though Marylanders To Prevent Gun Violence and the NAACP do not endorse candidates for office, they will be joined at this event by candidates who have publicly announced their support for the Firearms Safety Act.

“The Firearms Safety Act of 2013, and in particular its requirement of fingerprint licensing for handgun purchasers, is saving lives in Maryland,”said Vincent DeMarco, President of Marylanders To Prevent Gun Violence. “We thank this year’s candidates for state and local office who have endorsed it and we urge all other candidates of both parties to do so and pledge to fully implement it and help spread the word to other states. By fully implementing the Firearms Safety Act, we can see dramatically lower gun death rates as have the other states which have had fingerprint licensing laws for decades.”

“The Maryland State Conference of NAACP Branches fully supports the Firearms Safety Act and urges all candidates in Maryland for state and local office to do so also,” said Gerald Stansbury, President of the Maryland State Conference of NAACP Branches. “With this new law we are making Maryland a safer place for all our families.”

####

To support our work defending the Firearms Safety Act and spreading the word to other states about its effectiveness, contribute to the Firearms Safety Act Defense Fund.

Support our work to reduce gun violence in Maryland: Make A Donation
    Marylanders to Prevent Gun Violence | 2600 St. Paul Street | Baltimore, MD 21218 |
    You are receiving this message because you subscribed to our mailing list: Unsubscribe

Feb 28, 2013
    Columbia. The perfect place to celebrate the Firearms Stupidity Act.:rolleyes:

Is it just me, or is the following statement an oxymoron, regardless of whether or not it was spoken by one?

Although it is too early to directly measure the impact of the new law in Maryland, we know that similar measures in other states, particularly fingerprint licensing of handgun purchasers, has helped to reduce gun violence. In Maryland, the number of gun deaths has decreased by 15% between the first eight months of 2013 and the first eight months of 2014.

ROBAR35

Living the farm life
    May 20, 2010
    Howard Co.
    Yep it's pretty sickening the crap they peddle. And what really shocks me is how many of the sheeple buy into this BS. :mad54:

Last edited:

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    Funny, I checked the numbers today. Now im not a statistician, and I had to rely on a 3rd party for the datan but:

oct 1 2012 - sept 30 2013
    220 murders in baltimore city (plus 3 attacked outside that time frame that died during that period)
    13 victims were 17 and younger

oct 1 2013 - sept 30 2014
    217 murders in baltimore city (plus 3 attacked outside that time frame but died during that period)

I dont see any difference worth noting.

also during the month of August this year, the city had 28 murders in 31 days. that rapid pace abruptly stopped in the week preceeding the Star spangled Celebration, and remained un changed the week following, except for a 1 or 2 incidents that made the rounds on social media (crime scene photos) before BPD finally (reluctantly?) announced them. then the next week crime went back to "normal" in the city. before this anomaly 2014 was about to tie 2013. i'm calling shenanigans.

I pulled 2014, 13, and 12 numbers from here:
    http://chamspage.blogspot.com/2014/01/2014-baltimore-city-homicides-list-and.html

daggo66

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    Funny, I checked the numbers today. Now im not a statistician, and I had to rely on a 3rd party for the datan but:

220 murders in baltimore city (plus 3 attacked outside that time frame that died during that period)

217 murders in baltimore city (plus 3 attacked outside that time frame but died during that period)

also during the month of August this year, the city had 28 murders in 31 days. that rapid pace abruptly stopped in the week preceeding the Star spangled Celebration, and remained un changed the week following, except for a 1 or 2 incidents that made the rounds on social media (crime scene photos) before BPD finally (reluctantly?) announced them. then the next week crime went back to "normal" in the city. before this anomaly 2014 was about to tie 2013. i'm calling shenanigans.

http://chamspage.blogspot.com/2014/01/2014-baltimore-city-homicides-list-and.html

There you have it. Fingerprinting of gun purchasers saved 3 lives. If we can save 3 lives isn't it worth it? :sad20:

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll

Were all the murders committed with guns? Did not see that mentioned in your statistics. Remember, feet, hands, and other objects are used to kill a lot of people every year. Learned that fact when I looked at FBI statistics before writing my Testimony to SB281.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Were all the murders committed with guns? Did not see that mentioned in your statistics. Remember, feet, hands, and other objects are used to kill a lot of people every year. Learned that fact when I looked at FBI statistics before writing my Testimony to SB281.

Right. We shouldn't be concerned with the overall murder rate. We should just be concerned with murder by firearm. If we can be like the UK and significantly decrease murders by firearms without actually decreasing the murder rate, we have won! :lol2:

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Right. We shouldn't be concerned with the overall murder rate. We should just be concerned with murder by firearm. If we can be like the UK and significantly decrease murders by firearms without actually decreasing the murder rate, we have won! :lol2:

I get your point and it makes sense. Thing is, data and facts can always be manipulated.

Me, I believe people will always kill other people, period. What prevents a lot of murder is economic opportunity. Don't hear too much about people in western Howard County offing one another because most of us have a decent roof over our heads and our bellies are full. Most of the bad areas in the state are the poorer areas. It isn't really about guns, but about prosperity. Me, I am anti poverty. Big question is, how do we fix poverty. We are anti handouts, which I agree with for the most part. Believe people should be given a little help, but not life long help. Everybody says, "Get a job". However, it isn't so easy to get a job as some people on this board can attest to, and they are trying their butts off to get one.

We are anti taxes, but without taxes how do we fix these areas where education SUCKS? There are some really hard questions to address here, but nobody really has any decent suggestions and nobody is willing to sacrifice to help the country as a whole. I know I don't want to pay additional taxes to try to cure the cancer growing from Baltimore and PG, but then what is the solution? Nukes?

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD

data was homicide by all means, shootings, stabbings, blunt force, asphyxiation ect.

its difficult to determine weapons used in the data i have access to.

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    There you have it. Fingerprinting of gun purchasers saved 3 lives. If we can save 3 lives isn't it worth it? :sad20:

polar vortex. without the sub zero wind chill for mostbof January, February, and March into April the rate would have been higher.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom