• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ducrider45

Jul 29, 2011
    Severn
    Finally put this .22 together after sitting on the stamp for a while...

CMMG 4½" barrel, bolt, upper receiver, lpk
    Silencerco Sparrow
    Aero Precision lower receiver
    Better Mag Adapter w/ 15/22 mags
    Eotech XPS2-0
    Troy flip-up sights
    Magpul Moe+ grip, CTR stock
    Midwest 7" T-2 rail

Thanks for letting me shoot this! I'm working on a similar build now.:party29:

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Was it worth it? I've heard that suppressing an AK is pretty futile, but have never shot one.

I have grown to dislike the AK but I kept one Rifle. IMO, yes it was worth it. The main problem with suppressing most AKs is having concentric threads (Many don't have them). The rest is venting the excessive gas that comes out the rear of the gun into your eye. Vented Gas Tubes help, but limiting Gas is best. Problem is most if that is custom work that most Smiths really dont know how to do correctly.

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    I have grown to dislike the AK but I kept one Rifle. IMO, yes it was worth it. The main problem with suppressing most AKs is having concentric threads (Many don't have them). The rest is venting the excessive gas that comes out the rear of the gun into your eye. Vented Gas Tubes help, but limiting Gas is best. Problem is most if that is custom work that most Smiths really dont know how to do correctly.

I finally got that AK I bought from you up and running. Runs like a raped ape but I can't hardly shoot it suppressed. Being a lefty it throws that gas right back in my eye.

I think a longer length of pull stock may help but I haven't gotten around to look into it yet.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I finally got that AK I bought from you up and running. Runs like a raped ape but I can't hardly shoot it suppressed. Being a lefty it throws that gas right back in my eye.

I think a longer length of pull stock may help but I haven't gotten around to look into it yet.

All suppressed AKs do that unless to righties and lefties, unless the Gas Block is setup to be adjustable. I just recently modified mine for adjustable gas for that very reason.

Problem is that if you adjust gas to be perfect with the can attached, it won't run when you remove the can without readjustment.

Same problem with an AR with a can.

awptickes

Jun 26, 2011
    N. Of Perryville

Do like the Russians. Take a piece of duck-tape and put it over the top cover latch, like this:
    IMG_20140528_204340.jpg

Another picture:
    10372967_781613438537604_2353369433520403331_o.jpg

It doesn't solve the problem of being overgassed, but it sure looks "operator."

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    All suppressed AKs do that unless to righties and lefties, unless the Gas Block is setup to be adjustable. I just recently modified mine for adjustable gas for that very reason.

Problem is that if you adjust gas to be perfect with the can attached, it won't run when you remove the can without readjustment.

Same problem with an AR with a can.

I'll probably just run it unsupressed. But, it does force me to practice my weak side rifle shooting.

How did you modify it? Is it like a switchblock setup or do you have to do some serious work to re-adjust it each time?

Having a suppressor mount was a bonus, I really wanted it because I knew it would run. I didn't want to have to spend money for a rifle and hope I got a decent one or most likely have to pay someone who can hopefully square it away and not fvck it up like a soup sammich.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I'll probably just run it unsupressed. But, it does force me to practice my weak side rifle shooting.

How did you modify it? Is it like a switchblock setup or do you have to do some serious work to re-adjust it each time?

Having a suppressor mount was a bonus, I really wanted it because I knew it would run. I didn't want to have to spend money for a rifle and hope I got a decent one or most likely have to pay someone who can hopefully square it away and not fvck it up like a soup sammich.

The tape as shown might work.

My mod used a set screw at first. I determined the depth for each setting (Suppressed/Un-Suppressed) and then made 2 flat head screws with the threaded portion cut to the depth the set screw was adjusted at. Basically swap the screw till it shoulders and that's it.

forkauto

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Sep 26, 2013
    Hampstead, Md
    image.jpg

Well my new playtoy came in. HK51 with a Qualified Mfg sear. Receiver is and original HK. Will probably have refinished in the darker HK black. Can't wait to make fireballs................

TyFromMD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2011
    Maryland
    E-Filed Form 1 Trust: 8/30/2014. Approved 10/10/2014.

Spikes Tactical Forged Upper
    Noveske 10.5" 5.56x45 barrel w/ carbine gas system
    Noveske KX5 Flash Hider
    BCM KMR 10" Keymod
    WMD Guns NiBX BCG
    BCM Gunfighter Mod4 Charging Handle
    BCM keymod stubby grip
    Magpul BUIS
    Vortex Sparc

Spikes Lower
    Spikes LPK
    Spikes Nickel Boron Battle Trigger