Advice on Starting a High School Rifle Team?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MikeCee

May 8, 2013
    I am looking into the possibility of starting up an Air Rifle Team at a local private (religious-based) high school and I would appreciate any advice from anyone who might have been down that road before.

The school has just started a Sea Cadets program and I know that many high school teams form around JROTC programs, but since I'm just starting with the idea, I haven't approached their leadership yet. I'd like to get a little more information first.

Thanks.

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    Talk to NRA and also CMP they have grants available for just what you are doing. Moderate priced Air rifles / pellet traps / targets / and other shooting hardware are available to Clubs at reduced prices or free with grants.

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    Contact NSSF

The National Shooting Sports Foundation runs a number of programs as well as linking up with NRA and other 2A orgs to support youth shooting sports.

NSSF Youth Programs

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    I am looking into the possibility of starting up an Air Rifle Team at a local private (religious-based) high school and I would appreciate any advice from anyone who might have been down that road before.

The school has just started a Sea Cadets program and I know that many high school teams form around JROTC programs, but since I'm just starting with the idea, I haven't approached their leadership yet. I'd like to get a little more information first.

Thanks.

Where are you located? There may be a local air rifle program you can visit which will probably answer many questions.

The CMP is a great resource here is a link to the homepage:

http://www.odcmp.com/

Their publication "On The Mark" (back issues available on line) has had a number of helpful articles. Here is a list of some of them, note "Organize a Junior Rifle Team or Club, Part 1" October 2007. They also have the 3-Position Rule Book available on line:

http://www.odcmp.com/Comm/Gary_OTM.htm

Here is a list of the National Three-Position Air Rifle Council members with links all of which will have information, I see the Navy JROTC is listed:

http://www.odcmp.com/3P/Council.htm

The CMP has approved air rifles for sale, refurbished ones from the national matches for as little as $100. They also sell to clubs and organizations discounted pellets and targets and have a special deal on portable backstops.

We set up and shoot in the local American Legion Bingo hall, you need enough room for ten meters (33 Feet) from the firing line to the targets with additional room for shooters and backstops.

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    Does it have to be rifle?

One thing it helps to have is competition...and there is a regular monthly air pistol match at the 12th Precinct Pistol Club in Annapolis.

Not to mention that a pistol shooter doesn't need all the clothing a rifle shooter does.

BaltimoreKid

Sep 13, 2013
    Southern Md.
    I help coach my grandson's NJROTC Air Rifle Team in So. Md.
    If I was trying to improve a teen team, I would organize an Air Rifle Leauge that roughly draws from the High School attendance area. Off campus. I know 4H has Air rifle, for instance.
    By doing this, regular comps and practice can be established, implemented and managed outside of the educational umbrella. The more trigger time for the kids, the better.
    Our one problem right now is no trigger time.

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    I help coach my grandson's NJROTC Air Rifle Team in So. Md.
    If I was trying to improve a teen team, I would organize an Air Rifle Leauge that roughly draws from the High School attendance area. Off campus. I know 4H has Air rifle, for instance.
    By doing this, regular comps and practice can be established, implemented and managed outside of the educational umbrella. The more trigger time for the kids, the better.
    Our one problem right now is no trigger time.

What county does he shoot in please I understand that Chopticon HS in St Marys has applied for Grants with the NRA and are trying to form a AF jrotc air rifle program.

Shamr0ck

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2011
    Frederick
    I'm only aware of HS air rifle programs here in md which are sponsored by a JROTC detachment.

Don't recall if this is your intent nor where you are located, but I've seen several VA bases schools which have programs but none here in Md.

Linganore HS in Frederick county and Annapolis HS both have programs and I'm sure they could give some guidance.

I like the previous suggestion to start a program outside the school system but which draws from the school for shooters.

The 4H programs are great resources for these efforts as has also been mentioned.

Good luck

BaltimoreKid

Sep 13, 2013
    Southern Md.
    There are many JROTC Air Rifle Teams in So. Md.
    All 4 Calvert County HS have teams.
    There is a match at Calvert HS Dec 21 I believe.
    Teams from King George VA, Fairfax, Calvert, Charles and AA will be there, they were last year.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Does it have to be rifle?

One thing it helps to have is competition...and there is a regular monthly air pistol match at the 12th Precinct Pistol Club in Annapolis.

Not to mention that a pistol shooter doesn't need all the clothing a rifle shooter does.

In Sporter Air Rifle special clothing is not allowed in order to keep the cost down.

In addition to JRROTC programs all of the following groups sponsor/have air rifle shooting programs. There are many air rifle competitions both postal and shoulder to shoulder.
    4-H
    American Legion
    Jaycees
    CMP

There is even a Junior Distinguished program for three position Air Rifle.
    http://www.odcmp.com/3P/JrDist.htm

Shamr0ck

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2011
    Frederick
    Teams from King George VA, Fairfax, Calvert, Charles and AA will be there, they were last year.

Ahh - thanks for the reminder. I don't know how I forgot about the SoMD HS AirRifle teams as they host competitions fairly regularly. I believe all the SoMD highschool teams are attached to JROTC units. Correct?

Does anyone know of a HS Air Rifle team which is not part of a JROTC program? Either Public or Private?

I don't think any of the Howard, Baltimore, PG or Montgomery County HSs have any type of shooting program.

I visited the Competition Tracker site run by the CMP and if you click on the 'NAME' of the competition, you get contact information for the Match Director.

http://ct.thecmp.org/app/v1/index.p...ting&filter=designation&filter_value=AIRRIFLE

I filtered the above list to just MD, sorted by date with most recent first and found the reach information for the Match Director for the recent Capital City Classic shot at Annapolis HS.

Capital City Classic
    Sponsoring AffiliateAnnapolis Senior High School NJROTC
    Match Dates11/02/13 through 11/02/13
    Registration Dates through
    Location Annapolis, MD
    Match Director John Eggleston
    EventsContact John Eggleston Phone410-224-2606
    Email eggleston.john.snsi@navyrotc.us

Folks listed on the Club Search list may also be able to assist.

http://ct.thecmp.org/app/v1/index.php?do=clubSearch#

Filter by State and Jr Air Rifle - some entries appear duplicated (who knows why) but there are easily 50 entries across Scouts, JROTC, AGC clubs, American Legion, 4-H and IWLA.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    PowerPoint Presentation for HS Shooting Program

The CMP Coaching Resources page:
    http://www.odcmp.com/Training/CoachingResources.htm

Has a Power Point presentation:

Air Rifle as a Varsity Sport by Phillip Williams, Georgia CMP State Director. This presentation is good to present to High Schools that you are trying to get Air Rifle Shooting as a Varsity Sport.

It is the third entry from the bottom of the page.

MikeCee

May 8, 2013
    For events such as these, am I correct that you don't have to be a member of a team to compete?

BaltimoreKid

Sep 13, 2013
    Southern Md.
    For events such as these, am I correct that you don't have to be a member of a team to compete?

I have seen individuals competing as individuals, and seen individuals in the score results, but I think in each instance they were cadets whose squad was incomplete for some reason. MY educated guess is that the individual would have to be an ROTC cadet somewhere.

Youthcoach

Mar 4, 2010
    Waldorf, MD
    H.S. (ROTC) air rifle team

In Charles County there are several ROTC air rifle teams - Stone, McDonough, LaPlata and Westlake. There is also a strong 4-H air rifle program (301) 934-5404. If there is no 4-H program in your County...you can join 4-H in another County. I do not think St. Mary's has any 4-H shooting programs.
    All would be good sources of information.

Check with Sanner's Lake Sportsman's Club...they have a junior air rifle group, too!

Friends-of-the-NRA (FNRA) grants are available for this purpose but, the submittal deadline for 2013 was in Oct 2013. You can try for next cycle.
    NRA, YSSA, and CMP are other good sources for funds/equipment for start-ups.

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    Talk to NRA and also CMP they have grants available for just what you are doing. Moderate priced Air rifles / pellet traps / targets / and other shooting hardware are available to Clubs at reduced prices or free with grants.

If you are looking for a good local contact, try Andrea Miller at MD State Rifle and Pistol Association. She does a lot of work with the youth teams and is also the grant co-ordinator.

MikeCee

May 8, 2013
    In Charles County there are several ROTC air rifle teams - Stone, McDonough, LaPlata and Westlake. There is also a strong 4-H air rifle program (301) 934-5404. If there is no 4-H program in your County...you can join 4-H in another County. I do not think St. Mary's has any 4-H shooting programs.
    We had tried the Charles County 4-H and I will agree that it is a solid program, but I found that the approx. 2 hour round-trip drive to get there and back was putting the kids between a rock and a hard place with regards to getting their homework done.

Hence my idea of trying to start a program at their school, which although it is in Virginia, I'd be helping a number of Maryland students get into a program which is proving to be a challenge in southern Prince George's County.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom