• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    i'm thinking about picking one of these up. anybody collect these things?
    any pointers on buying one?

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    I've been looking for one for a while now with little to no luck.

They have gone up a lot it seems in the last few years.
    I think it was Continental (the range near Towson) who had a good one with 2 matching mags but I just couldn't swing their price, sorry, don't recall what it was, may be gone already.

Matching mag and a spare mag is nice as is the holster and lanyard.
    Many seem rough but being later in the war I think that was common.

Sorry, but of the Japanese stuff these I know little about. Please keep us posted especially if you find any which you pass on.

KH195

Ultimate Member
    Jan 10, 2013
    Virginia
    They are cool guns (although ugly as heck). I have two that I found cheap at pawn shops recently, a 19.2 (Feb '44) and a 19.6 (June '44). Definitely check for matching numbers on the small parts and magazine...in my experience more often than not they are found with mismatched mags. I've also seen a lot missing the lanyard rings. There are several variations (early polished blue, late war wood slab grips, late war square-back slide, etc.) so depends on what you are looking for but they can still be found for relatively reasonable prices given that production wasnt really that high on them (about 72k or so). Original holsters and lanyards would also be a nice find, they can go for a few hundred bucks in nice condition by themselves.

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    They are cool guns (although ugly as heck). I have two that I found cheap at pawn shops recently, a 19.2 (Feb '44) and a 19.6 (June '44). Definitely check for matching numbers on the small parts and magazine...in my experience more often than not they are found with mismatched mags. I've also seen a lot missing the lanyard rings. There are several variations (early polished blue, late war wood slab grips, late war square-back slide, etc.) so depends on what you are looking for but they can still be found for relatively reasonable prices given that production wasnt really that high on them (about 72k or so). Original holsters and lanyards would also be a nice find, they can go for a few hundred bucks in nice condition by themselves.

for the most part i'd like a good example, but mostly a shooter.
    i'm going to the gettysburg show and want to know what to look for.

KH195

Ultimate Member
    Jan 10, 2013
    Virginia
    For reference purposes this is what the later war examples will look like. The finish started getting pretty rough in early 1944, but even between my Feb. and June 44 guns you can see the difference (Feb is on top). The wood slab grips showed up in late '44, I want to say they started appearing on 19.10 or 19.11 dated guns.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      43.3 KB · Views: 100

KH195

Ultimate Member
    Jan 10, 2013
    Virginia
    i greatly appreciate the information.

Please post pics if you find one, I always like seeing these! I would love to have a nice early example with a nickel mag and a late one with wood grips as well, there are enough variations of these to keep you on the hunt for a good while!

Jul 1, 2012
    Look for the typical stuff, matched parts, nice original finish, no import marks, good bore. As mentioned, the quality really went down hill at the end and for a shooter I personally would stay away from the late "squareback" (1945) guns. I know the T-14's had a tendency to break firing pins, I don't know about the T-94. It might not be a bad idea to find a spare or two if they are available, and use that for shooting to preserve the matched part. It can be hard to tell if a magazine has been "force matched".

Has anyone fired one of these? It looks like it would be a hateful beetch to shoot with that short handle. It doesn't feel very comfortable just holding it...

Here's my late-war "square-back" example with matched mag, 20.5 / May 1945 date (it's actually kind of interesting, the 5 is over-stamped on a 4). Note the crude machining, fit, wood panel grips, etc.

Prices have really increased in the last year or so. Don't be surprised to find $700-900 price tag on a nice one with matched mag.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
      1.JPG
      82.5 KB · Views: 88
    • 2.JPG
      2.JPG
      74 KB · Views: 93
    • 3.JPG
      3.JPG
      90.8 KB · Views: 92

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    I had one but there was no way I was going to shoot it. They are not known for the quality of their build. Mine was essentially unissued and showed no signs of ever having been fired so it had no wear. If would cock it, apply the safety, then pull the trigger, you would hear a tiny click. Then, take your finger off the trigger and release the safety....the hammer would fall. And mine was supposedly one of the better made ones! I sold it and DO NOT miss it!

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    I've been keeping an eye on the Type 94 market for the last couple of years, hoping to find a good early example. Prices have surged significantly over that time, probably due to the fact that the T94 was more affordable compared to the T14. Reminded me of what happened to the Model 1917 "Enfield" when the Model 1903 took off and became unaffordable to the entry level collector and stripped out any potential for profit for dealers.
    Same here with the Type 14 vs the Type 94. The best time to grab one of these was 2-3 yrs ago. Oh well, that's life in a capitalistic society!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom