• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    the downtown area apparently ... according to Yahoo ...

Where the Hipsters Are: the Brooklyn of Every State

Maryland
    Downtown (Frederick)

I grew up about 15 minutes outside downtown Frederick, and if you had told me that place was hip 10 years ago, I’d kindly point you to the local headlines about monkey rodeos. But when a friend of mine from the Eastern Shore suggested it might be the Brooklyn of the state, it made a shocking amount of sense. Local hero Bryan Voltaggio seriously upgraded the dining scene with Volt in 2008. Cafe Nola, an organic breakfast spot that also throws late-night dance parties, opened the year prior. Now, the 'hood has independent bookstores like Curious Iguana, a specialty tea shop with 300 varieties, and multiple yoga studios. Plus the not-at-all-cool Civil War Medicine Museum, for ironic afternoon pilgrimages.

Have to admit that I do dine and drink at Nola every so often.

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    Quit going to Nola and riding my bike downtown because of those damn hipsters.

Now git off my lawn
    tumblr_lr2xhjpCRf1qm1975o1_500.gif

virtus

Ultimate Member
    Aug 11, 2010
    Hampden > Frederick .....when considering hipster concentration

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Quit going to Nola and riding my bike downtown because of those damn hipsters.
    ...[/IMG]

They are almost as bad as hippies.

Here in Fredneck County, it is much less hipster-ish, thank god. I generally avoid Downtown Frederick, because of the hipsters and the gentrification, that has destroyed the town.

I wear my gun shirts in Nola with friends (who might sport a similarly-themed cap). We always get polite service. They probably view us as firearms poseurs. After all, hipsters starting dressing in as lumberjack types for a few years now seeking some sort of false authenticity, so maybe they view it as a logical evolution.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    I wear my gun shirts in Nola with friends (who might sport a similarly-themed cap). We always get polite service. They probably view us as firearms poseurs. After all, hipsters starting dressing in as lumberjack types for a few years now seeking some sort of false authenticity, so maybe they view it as a logical evolution.
    I guess if I ever go in there, I'll rock a firearms company shirt and hat , just to see how it turns out.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    I guess if I ever go in there, I'll rock a firearms company shirt and hat , just to see how it turns out.

I'll take you out for lunch and a beer one day guy. :thumbsup:

Gunrunners is down the same street of course. I like the Thai place near Nola, and apparently the new (rotating) Asian place above isn't bad either (according to work colleagues originally from Asia).

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    I'll take you out for lunch and a beer one day guy. :thumbsup:

Gunrunners is down the same street of course. I like the Thai place near Nola, and apparently the new (rotating) Asian place above isn't bad either (according to work colleagues originally from Asia).

Sweet! I'll keep you posted on my schedule.

I love some good Thai. :D

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    Just ate at Brewers. Haven't been there in a while.

Thai place is decent. The Extended Stay near Westview is a freaking dump. Feels weird staying in a hotel in my hometown.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feb 28, 2013

The wannabes are easy to spot.

One nice thing about visiting hipster hangouts is I'm always the manliest man around, and it's easy to remind the skinny little twats of their insignificance. :D

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    What happened to the Frederick I knew where the first storefront that greeted you advertised guns and beer?

llkoolkeg

Hairy Flaccid Member
    I work right on the Carroll Creek stampcrete/paver promenade that is hipster heaven and if you want to do some hilarious people-watching, drop by the "Live at Five" outdoor concerts that have been going on every Thursday evening, e.g. the skinny old hipster dancing the funky chicken in a t-shirt that says "I have the courage to walk a mile in her shoes" complete with boiled chicken man-feet stuffed into fvck-me pumps. :sad20:

If you do stop by, I'm the dude in the grubby work-out sweats and wry smile standing on the bridge surveying the scene...come say "hi" and commiserate with me. The only thing worse in the downtown area than the hipsters is the human refuse congregated all the livelong day on the MarketxCarroll Creek planter wall across from the fire station. My "quote of the week" from one of them? "Can I have some money for gas? I am working under the table on unemployment and need to get to the job later today." :mad54:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom