• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • molonlabe

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2005
    Mountaineer Country, WV
    Getting back to the original question. I think it would be a great idea to share techniques, training aids and tools. If it's limited to just HQL instructors well that's a Maryland problem and not an NRA instructor interest. I think if it was inclusive it would be beneficial to all.

BigT5g

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2014
    Dayton MD
    Getting back to the original question. I think it would be a great idea to share techniques, training aids and tools. If it's limited to just HQL instructors well that's a Maryland problem and not an NRA instructor interest. I think if it was inclusive it would be beneficial to all.

Agreed! The stakes are too high for MD instructors to be too competitive/secretive with each other about their training techniques.
    The more, and better educated gun owners we turn out into the world the more likely we will be able to move MD in the right direction freedom-wise.

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    I have been lucky enough to work with other instructors in MD, VA, PA, DE and NC. We have always been supportive of each others classes. I even refer folks to other instructors when I know I do not have a class coming up or if the type of training a student wants would be better served by another instructor.

I think it is in our collective interest to have a forum, if for no other reason than to keep aware of changes in NRA and MSP training requirements.

I also find I take away something when I have discussions with other instructors or assist in a class.

Just my $0.02!

woodstock

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 28, 2009

then why wouldn't you just go to the training and safety forums here? :facepalm: oh never mind, i'll just mosey on and keep my ideas to me when it comes to some stuff i think important. nevertheless, if you see something, say some thing, and don't forget, there is a number you can call in to report suspicious activity or illegal intent, to law enforcement agencies. they'll appreciate your involvement.

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    Agreed! The stakes are too high for MD instructors to be too competitive/secretive with each other about their training techniques.
    The more, and better educated gun owners we turn out into the world the more likely we will be able to move MD in the right direction freedom-wise.

Well said!

That is why I became an instructor. I enjoy seeing past students coming out to the range, whether it be the AGC, Myrtle Grove, or Elk Neck and being good safe shooters. Some have even gone on to become instructors and FFLS!

We all win when we instill a love of firearms and shooting sports in more folks. Some of my best memories of teaching is when some of my liberal friends have become converts. They may not be as vocal or dedicated to the cause but they have a new perspective on the need to protect the Second Amendment and that a firearm is just a innate object. It is the shooter who controls its use.

ProShooter

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2008
    Richmond, Va
    I would caution everyone to be careful about what you share.

If I had a dollar for everything that another instructor "copied or borrowed" from me, I'd have about $7.

Caught another one about 6 months ago, and he was downright indignant when I called him on it.

BigT5g

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2014
    Dayton MD
    I would caution everyone to be careful about what you share.

If I had a dollar for everything that another instructor "copied or borrowed" from me, I'd have about $7.

Caught another one about 6 months ago, and he was downright indignant when I called him on it.

Absolutely, but collaboration is different than plagiarism. I'm cool with another instructor (that I know is competent) using aspects of something they learn might learn from me in their own courses.

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    I've noticed two type instructors, one is willing to share anything and even help new people set up classes, the other is very protective of their materials and considers it competition.

I understand both sides of this, however as a teacher I know when I teach a class of students they take what I teach with them. I am actually proud when I see a former student using a lesson I taught them to teach someone else. I know there are jerks out there who will sell the info as their own, but we will never stop that.

IMO we are helping the cause if we all work together. I also think it would be great to help each other out with classes. Having another set of eyes especially on the range is valuable. Would also help with consistency in the courses.

TD

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    I agree with miles71. Nothing (ok very little), is truly original material, everything is something you picked up here or there. So share it all. It's not the material so much as how you present it. How much knowledge, skills and abilities you can give someone in the same amount of time. I've attended a lot of training and given thousands of hours of training; and I feel confident I generally give twice as much KSA as most instructors. No offense to any of you here; those of you I've met were all very good, and well worth what you charge.

I've asked for another private "Instructors Only" group be created for us. Will let you know if it happens.

Until then, I propose we use the instructors sub-forum to share tips and info. And we start a private email list to share/warn one another about prospective students. Send me an email if you want to be on the distro. Just say your business name, real name, and list of bad students. Oh, and don't waste anyone's time talking about being sued.

ProShooter

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2008
    Richmond, Va
    The stuff I'm talking about is not stance, grip, etc....I'm talking about courses descriptions, services that we offer...even just the specific name that we call something. When I write out a course description in marketing / advertising materials and I find it elsewhere on the internet word for word with the only change being [insert random company name here], I get pissed.

BigT5g

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2014
    Dayton MD
    The stuff I'm talking about is not stance, grip, etc....I'm talking about courses descriptions, services that we offer...even just the specific name that we call something. When I write out a course description in marketing / advertising materials and I find it elsewhere on the internet word for word with the only change being [insert random company name here], I get pissed.

Well that's legit stolen intellectual property right? Those "instructors" are douchebags and you have a legal recourse.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010

Well that's legit stolen intellectual property right? Those "instructors" are douchebags and you have a legal recourse.

AIUI, Only if it is copy write protected. BWDIK :shrug:

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    yup

Attachments

• this is dumb.jpg
      this is dumb.jpg
      37.3 KB · Views: 87

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    ProShooter The stuff I'm talking about is not stance, grip, etc....I'm talking about courses descriptions, services that we offer...even just the specific name that we call something. When I write out a course description in marketing / advertising materials and I find it elsewhere on the internet word for word with the only change being [insert random company name here], I get pissed.

I agree this is a jerk move, even in the education world sources should be sighted and if someone is totally ripping off an entire class the original creator of the course should be compensated or at least agree to it.

However in most cases it is the same concepts being taught. I find it exciting to see another teacher do something I never thought of with the same con pet I have been teaching. One of the most productive professional activities we have as teachers is when we can sit together and just trade ideas. It also helps when we are questioned about something to say "we are all doing it this way". That way you are not all alone to defend the you instruction.

TD

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    AIUI, Only if it is copy write protected. BWDIK :shrug:

Actually since 1978 as soon as you write something down or otherwise "fix it in a tangible medium of expression" it is covered by copyright and you can put the copyright symbol © on it, it is copyrighted even without the symbol. The symbol and registering with the copyright office do enhance your legal position. There is a whole lot more to copyright and here is a link to get you started:

https://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/copyright

Brief quote, within "fair use" rules, so I don't violate their copyright.
    As of January 1, 1978, all works of authorship fixed in a tangible medium of expression and within the subject matter of copyright were deemed to fall within the exclusive jurisdiction of the Copyright Act regardless of whether the work was created before or after that date and whether published or unpublished.

Here is another good source of information particularly the FAQ's:
    http://fairuse.stanford.edu/

If someone makes a copy of your original composition (lesson plans, advertising, etc) they are in violation of the law. Contact them and complain, better yet have a lawyer do it.

To add the copyright symbol © in windows or on the forum hold the Alt key down and enter on the numeric keypad 0169

Last edited:

BigT5g

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2014
    Dayton MD
    Actually since 1978 as soon as you write something down or otherwise "fix it in a tangible medium of expression" it is covered by copyright and you can put the copyright symbol on it, it is copyrighted even without the symbol. The symbol and registering with the copyright office do enhance your legal position. There is a whole lot more to copyright and here is a link to get you started:

https://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/copyright

Brief quote, within "fair use" rules, so I don't violate their copyright.

Here is another good source of information particularly the FAQ's:
    http://fairuse.stanford.edu/

If someone makes a copy of your original composition (lesson plans, advertising, etc) they are in violation of the law. Contact them and complain, better yet have a lawyer do it.

Good info thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom