Is the Bulgarian Makarov PM legal in MD?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • beretta_maven

Free Thinking Member
    Jan 2, 2014
    SoMD
    I'm considering purchasing a Bulgarian Makarov PM (9X18). Can anyone tell me if it is legal to purchase in MD?

beretta_maven

Free Thinking Member
    Jan 2, 2014
    SoMD
    Thanks...I have my HQL, but I was getting conflicting information regarding whether the PM version was legal - like, is it on the MD handgun roster. I'll be damned if I can find it.

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    if you can find a Military Makarov they are dated, you can get one before 1985!! Also the commercial Makarov's trade under the name "Arsenal"

Bulgy's are dated in their serial #. you see

"## 10 ####"

the 2 digits are the date year

10=1970
    15=1975
    20=1980
    25=1985
    30=1990
    35=1995

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    Thanks...I have my HQL, but I was getting conflicting information regarding whether the PM version was legal - like, is it on the MD handgun roster. I'll be damned if I can find it.

I have 2 Military PM's and 1 Arsenal (commercial) so yes they are legal

look under Arsenal

Handgun Roster

Manufacturer Model Model Number Caliber
    Arsenal (Bulgaria) Makarov 9X18 MM, .380 ACP
    Arsenal (Bulgaria) SLR-104 UR 5.45 X 39

HokieKev

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    I'm considering purchasing a Bulgarian Makarov PM (9X18). Can anyone tell me if it is legal to purchase in MD?

I've been thinking about getting one of those. Are you buying off gun broker? I'd love to find a local source that sells them.

beretta_maven

Free Thinking Member
    Jan 2, 2014
    SoMD
    if you can find a Military Makarov they are dated, you can get one before 1985!! Also the commercial Makarov's trade under the name "Arsenal"

Bulgy's are dated in their serial #. you see

"## 10 ####"

the 2 digits are the date year

10=1970
    15=1975
    20=1980
    25=1985
    30=1990
    35=1995

Thanks for that info...I'm attempting to get the two digit date code from the seller.

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    Thanks for that info...I'm attempting to get the two digit date code from the seller.

on a side note....if you find a chromed military Bugly.....its one of the most rare PM you'll find. they are the Bulgarian Black Sea Navy PM. here is mine....you can see it's dated "22" so its 1982 you'll see the Circle 10 "AB 22 ####"

I've only seen 2 ever. I own one of them

Attachments

• Makarov Bulgarian Black Sea Navy.jpg
      Makarov Bulgarian Black Sea Navy.jpg
      34.4 KB · Views: 381

beretta_maven

Free Thinking Member
    Jan 2, 2014
    SoMD
    on a side note....if you find a chromed military Bugly.....its one of the most rare PM you'll find. they are the Bulgarian Black Sea Navy PM. here is mine....you can see it's dated "22" so its 1982 you'll see the Circle 10 "AB 22 ####"

I've only seen 2 ever. I own one of them

Very nice! That is truly a beauty. What magazines do you use? As I understand it, these can use Russian, East German or Bulgarian mags - is that correct?

beretta_maven

Free Thinking Member
    Jan 2, 2014
    SoMD
    One last question - that means I can't purchase a Bulgarian Makarov PM (military) version unless it is older than 1985, correct? The one I'm looking at was manufactured in 1987, and it is not the Arsenal commercial version.

One last question - that means I can't purchase a Bulgarian Makarov PM (military) version unless it is older than 1985, correct? The one I'm looking at was manufactured in 1987, and it is not the Arsenal commercial version.

Incorrect. My Bulgarian military Makarov is a 1989, and I got after last October. You're good to go.

EDIT: There seems to be some confusion in this thread regarding the "PM". "PM" stands for (transliterated from Russian) "pistolet Makarova", or "Pistol of [Nikolai Fyodorovich] Makarov". Hope this clears things up for you.

beretta_maven

Free Thinking Member
    Jan 2, 2014
    SoMD
    Incorrect. My Bulgarian military Makarov is a 1989, and I got after last October. You're good to go.

EDIT: There seems to be some confusion in this thread regarding the "PM". "PM" stands for (transliterated from Russian) "pistolet Makarova", or "Pistol of [Nikolai Fyodorovich] Makarov". Hope this clears things up for you.

Thank you...that was what I was looking for.

Thank you...that was what I was looking for.
    Anytime, glad I could help.

Anyone have a Russian Makarov? I'd be curious to hear about its reliability.
    You want to know about the Russian commercial one from Baikal, or the Soviet Russian military model?

I don't personally know anyone with an example of the latter, but I'd bet a large sum that it's as reliable as they get.

As for the former, the post-Soviet Russian commercial model, I know someone who has one in 9x18. As far as I know, he hasn't had any issues of any kind. From what I've heard, the only "issue" with them is that the fit and finish aren't as good as the military versions. And there's those awful adjustable sights.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom