• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jul 4, 2013
    What was the deal with concealed/open carry in MD prior to 1972? It is my understanding that the current law was passed then and I am wondering what the policy and practice was between say the end of WWII to around then.

Could anyone CC/OC without a permit?

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    Yes, 50 years ago public firearm possession in MD was very relaxed, except for hard-ass police chiefs or sheriffs in urban areas who dictated a sort of personal policy.

Politically, the big changes came in 1968 with the Gun Control Act, which was precipitated by the assassinations of Martin Luther King, Jr, and Robert F Kennedy. But the gun control efforts in Maryland accelerated with the attempted assassination of presidential candidate George Wallace in 1972 at the Laurel Shopping Center.

Prior to 1968, Maryland's gun laws resembled what Virginia still has today.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    What was the deal with concealed/open carry in MD prior to 1972? It is my understanding that the current law was passed then and I am wondering what the policy and practice was between say the end of WWII to around then.

Could anyone CC/OC without a permit?

I was not a live back then but if you follow national history you are pretty close to the civil right movements and there are plenty of documented cases of the government disarming blacks throughout our countries history.

So did the black communities become very violent and .gov decided they needed to be disarmed or did the white government not like the idea of any armed black men? That I'm not sure about.

I could be off and maybe some of the older heads here will be able to chime in.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I was not a live back then but if you follow national history you are pretty close to the civil right movements and there are plenty of documented cases of the government disarming blacks throughout our countries history.

So did the black communities become very violent and .gov decided they needed to be disarmed or did the white government not like the idea of any armed black men? That I'm not sure about.

You are off. There was no racial context regarding guns in the late '60's/'70's, pure government control of all subjects.

In general, the black community was already disarmed via poverty; there was no fear of "armed blacks". The nightly news crime stories were about people being "mugged" for their paycheck money on the way home from the bank (often no weapon of any kind involved), not drug gang gun violence that we have now.

Shooting off on a tangent ... A group of people attribute the drug crime increase to the organized crime "mafia" pulling out of the drug trade because of lack of organization and continuity in the black drug gangs.

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    I'm going to disagree with Mark here. The GCA of 68 was modeled on california legislation which was passed when the Black Panthers decided to Open Carry rifles into the legislature to have a talk with Reagan.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    I'm going to disagree with Mark here. The GCA of 68 was modeled on california legislation which was passed when the Black Panthers decided to Open Carry rifles into the legislature to have a talk with Reagan.

I stumbled across a VERY bias talk radio show which talked about gun law and the black community in length. This was one of their BIG talking points that the gun laws known today started after the Panthers did this.

They seemed to know what they were talking about although it was like what I would associate listening to a KKK meeting would be like.

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    They seemed to know what they were talking about although it was like what I would associate listening to a KKK meeting would be like.

Um....I miss where you are going with this.

Have you seen this?

18210783.jpg

This Nonviolent Stuff ' ll Get you Killed/

You can read about it here:

http://www.theroot.com/articles/culture/2014/06/_this_nonviolent_stuff_ll_get_you_killed_a_new_book_by_charles_e_cobb_jr.html

I was bummed he was up the street at Busboys and Poets Hyattsville and I missed him.

Bald Fat Guy

Oct 7, 2014
    Prior to 1972 open carry was legal.

Concealed was default illegal. There was no such thing as a Concaled Carry lic per se. There was a situation with certained "Licensed individuals" . Private Detectives as a class were able to CC. Some but not all MD and Phamarists were able to. I have discovered correspondence from back then regarding requesting the suitable (whatever) thru MD licensing, but not the details of the process.

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    The Saturday night special laws targeted the poor. Ie the handgun review board. How much does it cost to manufacture a LCP. I would guess 5 bux or so.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    Um....I miss where you are going with this.

They were very racist on the show. You could tell by their comments and the caller comments that they were very "anti white" or at least that is what I took from it.

Kind of the same type of talk I'd expect to hear on a KKK radio show just about the other race. That is what I meant.

This was in the height of the Ferguson garbage.

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    They were very racist on the show. You could tell by their comments and the caller comments that they were very "anti white" or at least that is what I took from it.
    This was in the height of the Ferguson garbage.

ok, I wasn't sure if you were talking about white racists or black racists....

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    Baltimore riots april '68

Cambridge riots '63 and '67. 67 required national guard on scene for a year, and a car bombing in bel air md resulted when the trial of brown was moved to harford county.

there was massive racial unrest and animosity at the time in MD. to say otherwise is silly.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates

I do not recall any rifle restrictions as a result. If you can cite them, please do.

Bald Fat Guy

Oct 7, 2014
    And should have included to my above post , the other * not a CCW per se , but .... * , a Deputy Sheriff Commision. Back in the day , the Police Training regulations were different. The full traing requirements didn't kick in until 1yr after hire. So someone could do a range qualification , and receive a Commision expiring in 11mo and 29days, then start over a day later. And it wasn't only the expected politicians and donors , it also included a lot of people who probably would have been "Good&Substantial" if the phrase had been invented yet.But w/o the printed restrictions. And of course th instructed by the Sheriff to don't be stupid or act like a Deputy to the public . And if anyone acted the ******* , the Sheriff yanked it. ( Source - a gentleman who did this for business purposes for several years in the '60s .)

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    I remember a couple of older guys I knew in the 70's and maybe into the 80's who had handgun permits given to them by the sheriffs office in pg county because they had rental properties up there. I also know of a few guys who had permits issued from Charles county, these were relatively important guys in the county so I am sure that had something to do with it. I saw all these guys permits and they were just a simple blue card with the info from the sheriff of the county they were issued in with some signatures. nothing fancy that's for sure.

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014

My understanding from reading other threads on this forum is that the reason MD does not have a constitutional protection for 2A Rights is because they didn't want to gurantee the rights of freed slaves to keep and bear.

T'Challa

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 24, 2013
    Wakanda
    I stumbled across a VERY bias talk radio show which talked about gun law and the black community in length. This was one of their BIG talking points that the gun laws known today started after the Panthers did this.

Yep. The Mulford Act was meant to disarm the panthers and Governor Ronald Reagan, revered GOP man signed the act and set California on its gun hating path. Maryland was one of the first states to ban Saturday night specials.... or N word town Saturday Night specials. Cheap firearms were what the poor could afford and the government banned them.

T'Challa

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 24, 2013
    Wakanda
    Baltimore riots april '68

Cambridge riots '63 and '67. 67 required national guard on scene for a year, and a car bombing in bel air md resulted when the trial of brown was moved to harford county.

there was massive racial unrest and animosity at the time in MD. to say otherwise is silly.

+1 on the unrest.

T'Challa

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 24, 2013
    Wakanda
    My understanding from reading other threads on this forum is that the reason MD does not have a constitutional protection for 2A Rights is because they didn't want to gurantee the rights of freed slaves to keep and bear.

I do not think that was the case in Maryland, but gun permits started elsewhere in the south for that reason. The first permits were an attempt to bar freed slaves from have arms. This is how gun regulations crept in. It continued throughout the south and in corrupt states like NY (See the Sullivan Act) and in the 60's went full retard with the Gun Control Act, Mulford Act, and others. By the 70's America was polarized based on color and many states banned cheap firearms and tightened carry rights.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom