• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth
    Good morning everyone...hope all is well. While having a discussion at work, I told a fellow that he could not buy, sell, trade, manufacture, or give a magazine larger than 10 round capacity within the borders of MD. I told him that he could go to a neighboring "Free state" and purchase how ever many magazines of greater than 10 rounds and bring them back as it is not illegal (yet anyway) to possess said magazine(s). Of course someone interjects and says "That's pointless because you can't legally have more than 10 rounds in your magazine in MD." I know that there are limits to how many rounds you can have in a firearm while hunting, but his statement didn't sound right. I told him that I haven't read that anywhere and that I believe he is incorrect. Could someone please clear this up? I don't want to give wrong/bad advice.

clarksvegas

Jul 8, 2011
    Escaped to TX
    The law only states you can't obtain a magazine with a 10+ capacity. Law never said you can't fully load that Beta mag you got 3 years ago, or scored on an trip to West Virginia last week.

What your coworker is talking about is similar to the New York ban on magazines greater than 7 rounds, then having to say you can't load more than 7 rounds in a mag because the smallest capacity mags are usually 10.

He's confusing the two.

can't hurt to double check SB281's section on mags, but that debate never hinged on how many you can have in a mag, just the size of the mag.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    I forget what the limit was before the 10 round limit, (it was 15 or 20), but only the limit has changed. You can and you could before possess magazine of any capacity, but you can not buy, sell, trade, or offer for sale any magazine that holds more than 10 rounds.

If he thinks that law is stupid, explain gun laws are made by people who have little idea about firearms, but they have a keen idea on how to get voted in in the next election, buy pleasing a constituency that also knows little about firearms.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    The law referred to capacity on sale, manufacture and transfer, not actual carry capacity that I can recall.

IANAL

mxrider

Former MSI Treasurer
    Aug 20, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    There is no limitation to the # of rounds to be carried in Maryland. The only restriction is the "purchase etc." of magazines in the state. 100 round drums may be used fully loaded if you wish.

SigMatt

Ultimate Member
    Mar 17, 2007
    Shores of the Bay, MD
    The law only states you can't obtain a magazine with a 10+ capacity. Law never said you can't fully load that Beta mag you got 3 years ago, or scored on an trip to West Virginia last week.

What your coworker is talking about is similar to the New York ban on magazines greater than 7 rounds, then having to say you can't load more than 7 rounds in a mag because the smallest capacity mags are usually 10.

He's confusing the two.

can't hurt to double check SB281's section on mags, but that debate never hinged on how many you can have in a mag, just the size of the mag.

No limit on the number of rounds in the magazine in Maryland. Load it to the limit as others have stated.

I need point out the NY 7-in-10 rule was struck down as Unconstitutional. The Court found the rule made no sense as criminals weren't going to obey it and place a law-abiding individual at a disadvantage to a criminal. They also found the government could not articulate a valid public safety reason for 7 rounds versus 10. Unfortunately, the same Court didn't continue on the common sense train and did find the 10 round magazine size limit Constitutional. Halfway is better than no way I guess.

Matt

kenpo333

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 18, 2012
    Salisbury Maryland
    Good morning everyone...hope all is well. While having a discussion at work, I told a fellow that he could not buy, sell, trade, manufacture, or give a magazine larger than 10 round capacity within the borders of MD. I told him that he could go to a neighboring "Free state" and purchase how ever many magazines of greater than 10 rounds and bring them back as it is not illegal (yet anyway) to possess said magazine(s). Of course someone interjects and says "That's pointless because you can't legally have more than 10 rounds in your magazine in MD." I know that there are limits to how many rounds you can have in a firearm while hunting, but his statement didn't sound right. I told him that I haven't read that anywhere and that I believe he is incorrect. Could someone please clear this up? I don't want to give wrong/bad advice.

Key Word is (within the borders) doesn't say you can't go outside and purchase, come back and use for yourself to your hearts content. This thread is the same as a couple dozen that we've gone over in the last couple years since 10/1/13

cjroman

Apr 4, 2012
    Calvert County
    Your co-worker may also have questionable hygiene habits, smell like beef jerky, neckbeard .22 LR, and have a side job as a space shuttle door gunner...

Wojo

What's that Smell
    May 8, 2012
    Wrong side of the Potomac

Blow their mind and tell them you can still buy a 10 +1 in maryland

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom