• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mousetom78

BANNED!!!
    Aug 31, 2013
    Dena, Md
    He got a DUI. His first offense. He got supervised probation for his offense. His PO asked him to store a regulated gun at his friend house and do notary statement that he doesn't have direct access to a firearm. Is it MD law? Since when dui is offense to turn in your guns? How can it be legal to transfer a gun to a friend without FFL or MSP approval?

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County
    Unless its stated on the probation papers from the court, tell the PO to pound sand. If the judge ordered the removal of firearms, the local gun squad will pay him a visit or make arrangements for turn in for storage.

mxrider

Former MSI Treasurer
    Aug 20, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    IANAL but a first-offense DUI is not disqualifying by itself. If the gun was previously regulated, it's now banned and can't be transferred to a friend.

Regulated above does not necessarily mean regulated long gun. We still have regulated firearms in MD.

With regards to the OP, I can't give any advise since IANAL. Would advise them to speak with their counsel that represented them in the case.

mousetom78

BANNED!!!
    Aug 31, 2013
    Dena, Md
    It was a pre October 1st purchase from last year It is a handgun. It was his first DUI. PO doesn't sound like what he is doing. He said he should notarize the gun to a friend. He got 9 to check up on PO basically to tell him he is a good boy.

lowoncash

Baned
    Jan 4, 2010
    Calvert county
    A lady had probation and it was on the form something to the effect that she could not live in a place with firearms as a condition of probation. This was a few years ago.

He got a DUI. His first offense. He got supervised probation for his offense. His PO asked him to store a regulated gun at his friend house and do notary statement that he doesn't have direct access to a firearm. Is it MD law? Since when dui is offense to turn in your guns? How can it be legal to transfer a gun to a friend without FFL or MSP approval?

DUI is not the reason,probation is the reason.

4. Get permission from your Supervisor before: changing your home address, changing your job, leaving the State of Maryland,
    owning, possessing, using or having under your control any dangerous weapon or firearm of any description.

This is standard,but the PO can make exceptions;i.e. permission to possess for hunting,leaving state for work,etc.As for for your last question,not sure. IANAL

mousetom78

BANNED!!!
    Aug 31, 2013
    Dena, Md
    Is it legal to store a gun in a friend house with notarized statement that your friend isn't taking ownership the gun and no right to use it.

Wendigo

Hungry
    Mar 31, 2013
    Reisterstown
    Is it legal to store a gun in a friend house with notarized statement that your friend isn't taking ownership the gun and no right to use it.

It is legal to loan a handgun without any paperwork needing to be done, as long as the person is not prohibited and it's a bona fide loan(no money or other property in exchange).

As far as the wording on the notarized letter, I have no idea what your PO wants.

mousetom78

BANNED!!!
    Aug 31, 2013
    Dena, Md
    It is legal to loan a handgun without any paperwork needing to be done, as long as the person is not prohibited and it's a bona fide loan(no money or other property in exchange).

As far as the wording on the notarized letter, I have no idea what your PO wants.

It is not my PO. My friend approached me with his gun (1 gun) with storage. I have a HQL and have my own collection.

Wendigo

Hungry
    Mar 31, 2013
    Reisterstown
    It is not my PO. My friend approached me with his gun (1 gun) with storage. I have a HQL and have my own collection.

No worries, I wasn't judging. Nothing illegal with your friend loaning you his handgun. I would ask him to keep your name off of any documents, don't need anyone asking to inspect your collection to see if his handgun is there or not.

kgain673

I'm sorry for the typos!!
    Dec 18, 2007
    What is messed up about MD law on probation, should he have just spent 30 days in jail? Sounds like he's getting off easy, if her were in VA he would have done at least 7-10 days in jail for a DUI.

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    I know someone who got a DUI and she ended up with a very long probation. Trial was a couple months ago and her probation ends next august or something. She told me she can't be in the same house as one with guns, but not sure if just an excuse to not come visit me and my parents. The next august thing has me upset, as she did want me to teach her to shoot. I had already been waiting 2 years, then she ends up being stupid and getting a DUI. Before anyone says " she sounds stupid, don't be her friend anymore", I have known her since the day she was born and am closer to her than my actual relatives outside of my parents. It's like she is a cousin. Just as flaky as my aunt though...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom