Database of New Yorkers deemed too 'mentally unstable' to carry guns grows to 40,000+

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    I would like to pose this question to New York's politicians:

If these people are so mentally unstable, that they're deemed a danger to society if allowed to have a firearm - how then, is it, that they're mentally fit enough to cast a vote in an election?

JVP409

Jan 31, 2013
    Bel Air
    Good! Mentally unstable people should not have guns. Now I will wait for all of our tinfoil hat wearing friends to come in and explain how it's a plan to take away all gun rights. I disagree. All of the mass shootings that bring all the heat on the rest of the gun owners are done by mentally unstable people. I say get aggressive on the mentally ill and set a standard and enforce it aggressively. Argument to the contrary add to the anti' s narrative that we are all nuts and to the non gun owners I'm sure we seem that way.

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013

If these people are so mentally unstable, that they're deemed a danger to society if allowed to have a firearm - how then, is it, that they're mentally fit enough to cast a vote in an election?

:thumbsup:

JVP409

Jan 31, 2013
    Bel Air

Great point as well! :party29:

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County

Or run around loose in society. Either your dangerous or your not

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Good! Mentally unstable people should not have guns. Now I will wait for all of our tinfoil hat wearing friends to come in and explain how it's a plan to take away all gun rights. I disagree. All of the mass shootings that bring all the heat on the rest of the gun owners are done by mentally unstable people. I say get aggressive on the mentally ill and set a standard and enforce it aggressively. Argument to the contrary add to the anti' s narrative that we are all nuts and to the non gun owners I'm sure we seem that way.

That sounds great, I agree.
    But I have to wonder who makes the standards and what their agenda is.
    Mental health is a whole lotta gray and very little black and white.

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    Just the tip of the iceberg.

The incidence of schizophrenia, just one mental illness is 1.1% or 88,000 of New Yorkers. Then you have the sex perverts, cannibals and psychopaths.

The incidence of psychopathy in 1% in the general population, 15% in prisons and 3% in the corporate board room. :wtf:

Then you have the incidence of assholes, studies have shown that can be up to 99% of the population :party29:
    http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Asshole_Personality_Disorder

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    OK.... I'm going to go against my core values and propose an idea for a new tax... are you listening MO'M, Lil Anthony, and BO? I propose that everytime someone uses the phrase "If this law just prevents/saves one more X, then it's worth it", they be taxed 25% of their income for that year. The Brady Campaign should be good for clearing out half the deficit alone.

K.C.Dean

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Buds Creek
    I am going to add this. If the person is to unstable to own a gun then they shouldn't have a drivers license they might use their car as a weapon. If they can't be trusted to own a gun, a car, then they can't be trusted with a knife, baseball bat or anything else that can be used to harm themselves or anyone else. Since that is impossible to do then maybe they should be committed.

What about people that have a kid or mentally ill adult living with them, are they going to be able to own a gun? No tinfoil just questions.

ryan_j

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2013
    So I'm worried about this. I'm not mentally ill but I see a therapist for issues I'm having in my personal life. Often the question of suicide comes up, because let's face it, when you're at your lowest you may think of it. But I've never really acted on it except when I was a foolish teenager. Now I may have to decide whether or not to keep seeing my therapist or just keep my mouth shut and keep my guns. See where this is headed? People who need help won't get it. NJ requires mental health records search for gun permits as well. Has done that since forever.

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    Once upon a time you actually had to commit a crime before you received a punishment. Now the thought police decide you may commit a crime and you go to jail or just lose right guaranteed by god and this very meaningless piece of papper called the Bill of Rights. I know its old and most people have forgotten that it exists, but it still does. But wait there are so many amendments, who can remember them all. I would point you to the 5th amendment, which was written for a reason.

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    Once upon a time you actually had to commit a crime before you received a punishment. Now the thought police decide you may commit a crime and you go to jail or just lose right guaranteed by god and this very meaningless piece of papper called the Bill of Rights. I know its old and most people have forgotten that it exists, but it still does. But wait there are so many amendments, who can remember them all. I would point you to the 5th amendment, which was written for a reason.
    :goodpost:

molonlabe

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2005
    Mountaineer Country, WV

I would be careful on what one wishes for and carefully look at this as another assault on gun rights. The opposition never rest and never sleeps. The DSM V has expanded it manual to include what some psychiatrist would consider normal human behavior. The recent prohibition on handguns by people diagnose with PTST at the VA should give everyone pause. (See next post) Well over 55% of the human population can now be considered as having some form of mental illness. PTSD diagnosis can be made on people who witness someone’s death. (Review the ongoing controversy on the current DSM.) Overeating, binge eating, binge drinking, sexual preferences; Asperger’s even normal grief goes into depression category. Do you want Prozac as part of your medical record?,
    http://www.livescience.com/34496-psychiatric-manual-stirs-controversy.html
    I think as do some doctors that the DSM is out of control. It is a simple reach to access these medical records and deny firearms to anyone diagnosed with a Psychiatric disorder. You want some untrained bureaucrat in MSP making that decision or for that matter finding a Dr. to give you a waiver for any disorder?

Last edited:

molonlabe

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2005
    Mountaineer Country, WV
    And this is the problem, people who need help won't seek treatment because they are afraid of loosing their rights.

This to, I know a Federal police officer that suffers panic attacks and he will not seek treatment out of risk of losing his firearm rights. Look at all the cops that lost their job due to perceived domestic violence. All the wife has to say is she is scared. Policing is a tough stressful job. They should be allowed to talk to a mental health professional without fear of losing one’s livelihood.

And when I was in kidney failure in 06 before my transplant I was given something for depression that is normal for kidney failure. It helped and I refused the prescription because I did not want it part of my medical record that MSP now can access. So much for HIPPA.

Nothing is simple and clear cut.

http://www.veteranstoday.com/2013/02/25/veterans-gun-seizure-hoax-debunked-somewhat/

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom