• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Anybody know the story on BCM? They have been OOS on all of their optics ready 11.5" uppers for over a month now? Do they make their own uppers or buy from someone? 10.5" are also OOS. They do have 12.5"in stock but would really rather have the 11.5"

Wayne1one

gun aficionado
    Feb 13, 2011
    Bowie, MD
    Depends on what you mean by "make". Their uppers are usually in high demand so when they have them in stock you gotta move pretty quick before they sell out... I know they are assembled in house with mil-spec parts etc. I think they out source their barrels, upper/lowers and BCG like other big name companies.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Depends on what you mean by "make". Their uppers are usually in high demand so when they have them in stock you gotta move pretty quick before they sell out... I know they are assembled in house with mil-spec parts etc. I think they out source their barrels, upper/lowers and BCG like other big name companies.

Gotcha. Been checking the site everyday for 6 weeks and always OOS.

friendlyhippo

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 7, 2015
    Glen Burnout
    why not just sign up for the in-stock notification? seems a lot less stressful than constantly having to remember to look at the site and check.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Many BCM uppers are in high demand because of how nice they are. They are frequently out of stock. As said above, sign up for notifications if you want one. I've had to wait months to buy ones that were out of stock.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Just did it. Didn't realize there was an option if I clicked on ad to cart. Thanks. Hopefully someone can answer a question I have. I want the 11.5" with the 10" KCR rail. One option is an "enhance light weight upper for $663 and the other is with the hammer forged barrel for about $70 more. Juts curious what the enhanced light weight upper is as compared to a regular upper. They also make an enhanced light weight that is fluted which had been available but does not appeal to me.

Jun 27, 2015
    Martinsburg, WV
    Just did it. Didn't realize there was an option if I clicked on ad to cart. Thanks. Hopefully someone can answer a question I have. I want the 11.5" with the 10" KCR rail. One option is an "enhance light weight upper for $663 and the other is with the hammer forged barrel for about $70 more. Juts curious what the enhanced light weight upper is as compared to a regular upper. They also make an enhanced light weight that is fluted which had been available but does not appeal to me.

The enhanced barrel is a beefed up version of a lightweight barrel. Heavier contour near the chamber and a slimmer profile towards the muzzle

Mr.Blue

Living In A Bizarro World
    Nov 21, 2011
    Miserable in MD
    I'm not a fan of BCM. I have seen and heard of some minor QC problems that BCM wouldn't fix. An example is a new scratched-up upper. My friend tried to return the upper and they gave him a really hard time saying "it doesn't affect the functionality of the upper". I realize that these are not pieces of art, but a tool, but give me a break. If you spend good money on their product, you should get a "NEW" looking upper.

I much prefer Daniel Defense. They are comparable in functionality with DD having superior customer service and fit and finish. I know this first hand, as they are a joy to deal with. I sent my rifle in twice for something that ended up being my fault (my old Colt mags were not feeding correctly). I told them and offered to pay them back shipping. They refused and sent me some free DD swag instead. Great guys.

YMMV.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Just checked DD site. Limited as far as complete uppers and almost 2x as much as BCM.

Ifdot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Md Eastern Shore
    I'm not a fan of BCM. I have seen and heard of some minor QC problems that BCM wouldn't fix. An example is a new scratched-up upper. My friend tried to return the upper and they gave him a really hard time saying "it doesn't affect the functionality of the upper". I realize that these are not pieces of art, but a tool, but give me a break. If you spend good money on their product, you should get a "NEW" looking upper.

I much prefer Daniel Defense. They are comparable in functionality with DD having superior customer service and fit and finish. I know this first hand, as they are a joy to deal with. I sent my rifle in twice for something that ended up being my fault (my old Colt mags were not feeding correctly). I told them and offered to pay them back shipping. They refused and sent me some free DD swag instead. Great guys.

YMMV.

First I've heard of someone having an issue with BCM. I think you are just bitter and trying to justify spending too much money on dd and want someon else to take the hit you did.

Mr.Blue

Living In A Bizarro World
    Nov 21, 2011
    Miserable in MD
    First I've heard of someone having an issue with BCM. I think you are just bitter and trying to justify spending too much money on dd and want someon else to take the hit you did.

Who are you, Dr. Phil?

I lived in WI, not far from BCM. If anything, I'd would want to do business with them. Like I wrote, they function fine and are considered top of the line from that perspective. They sold a few items that did not have finish and looked like crap. Their customer service would not replace it for "cosmetic" reasons. To me, that is bull. They are also one of those gun companies that make you pay for shipping to send a rifle back for a defect. I won't do business with a company like that. Maybe they've changed.

Notice that my original post read "MINOR QC issues". Didn't you read that, Ifdot?

You sound like someone who is a BCM fanboy. There's my attempt at psychoanalysis.

Here are some posts that aren't pro BCM. Obviously the few instances that I know of where their customer service stunk are not aberrations. That said, I realize that the internet tends to have more negative than positive reviews based on human behavior. My point is just that I am not making this up. Clearly you are not omniscient, Ifdot

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=1054531

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_4/616342_Problem_with_BCM_upper_.html

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_118/...M_lower___BCM_will_not_exchange_the_part.html

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_7_109/914500_BCM_Customer_Service.html

http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=2&f=138&t=195569

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_2_138/236503_.html

To me, I'd rather pay up and deal with great customer service. I'll stick with DD and LaRue.

INMY01TA

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2008

YMMV.
    Not a fan either. A guy at the range with us had one and it was malfunctioning. He blamed his ammo. My DTI ran all day.

Ifdot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Md Eastern Shore
    Just busting your balls blue!

I honestly don't feel like any one company sells anything that is better than anyone else It's all the same pieces just how it's put together is what really matters.

BigT5g

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2014
    Dayton MD
    Anybody know the story on BCM? They have been OOS on all of their optics ready 11.5" uppers for over a month now? Do they make their own uppers or buy from someone? 10.5" are also OOS. They do have 12.5"in stock but would really rather have the 11.5"

I have 11.5 BCM complete upper that I would be willing to sell. It has been to the range exactly 2 times. Has less than 200rnds fired.
    It is has the keymod handguard and functions flawlessly.

PM me if you are interested.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Though I'd pretty much decided on the BCM 11.5" upper, I got an email from DSM arms today and they have a 10.3" DD upper for $230 more. And looking in my RRA catalog they have a 10.5" upper they call a pistol upper, don't know the difference, for $600 so could probably order for less. I've read so much on uppers my head is spinning. Just looking for one that functions. For the time being it will go on an M16 until I get my SBR built and approved. Already sitting on a RRA lower and LRPK from a few years ago so RRA upper may be nice if they work.

friendlyhippo

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 7, 2015
    Glen Burnout
    Though I'd pretty much decided on the BCM 11.5" upper, I got an email from DSM arms today and they have a 10.3" DD upper for $230 more. And looking in my RRA catalog they have a 10.5" upper they call a pistol upper, don't know the difference, for $600 so could probably order for less. I've read so much on uppers my head is spinning. Just looking for one that functions. For the time being it will go on an M16 until I get my SBR built and approved. Already sitting on a RRA lower and LRPK from a few years ago so RRA upper may be nice if they work.

They call it a pistol upper to not only impress upon less-educated buyers that it can't go immediately onto an existing lower with a stock, and probably a little bit of that is also attorneys encouraging them to phrase it that way to reduce their liability if someone DOES do something silly like install said upper onto a non-NFA/non-pistol lower.

Basically it's a "gentle reminder" as I like to call it.....a subtle hint.

Honestly, if I were looking to purchase a complete upper, I'd go with the DD mk18 upper. It's a little heavier than many others (especially if you start accessorizing ;) ) but the barrel is CHF/CL...and DD is known for keeping chrome-lined tubes shooting well. Plus, you'll have a relatively close clone (muzzle device is the only thing that really comes to mind) to the mk18 the bearded fantastics like to use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom