• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Chris

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jun 21, 2005
    Cecil Co, Maryland
    I would be more concerned with the firearm left in the car and the possible theft. A good strong onboard safe that's out of sight. Plus loose lips sink ships - don't tell anyone at school your plans or at the range either. Come and do your thing both places without mention of the other. Chris

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    I *think* Whistlesmother was taking the long view increasing the push to obtain Handgun Permit reform so that it would someday be possable for normal citizens to obtain unrestricted Permits , which would make discussions like this largely moot.

Under current issueing scheme it would be a non-starter.

Yes, this, exactly. With restrictions, asking for and getting a CCW doesn't really help.

I want a permit to carry almost anywhere at almost anytime, so things like the OP wants to do are legal and easy (well, easier).

Philoctete

Jul 11, 2013
    Only you can decide how much risk you are willing to take, and how far you want to test the vagueness of the law, but leaving a handgun in an unattended car in an area where it might get broken into or stolen is more of a risk than I would want to take.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Would the Sig P320 modularity concept expanded to include a pistol caliber carbine require NFA approval? Aren't there drop-in PCC hosts for the Glock 17 (where you pull the barrel and slide)?

Rifles can of course be stored in vehicles, in most parts of Maryland, but handguns generally can not when off of your property.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I am trying to guess where Philoctete is going with that idea.

Is it having a pistol frame, and somthing like a Mechtec carbine unit "Only" , and transporting them as if it were only a somewhat strange looking rifle ? Or transporting said funny looking rifle, AND a pistol top end to re-install once at the range ?

Looking to NFA regulations , a registered lower reciever, with a 16in or longer bbl which also is 26in or longer OAL , would be treateaded as a "normal" rifle, and not need to follow Form .20 or other SBR transport procedures. If you were to posess, or otherwise have made arrangement to posses sub 16in bbl to make use of at your destination, then it is still an SBR .

I don't know if MSP has explicitedly adressed a pistol frame being a component of what is otherwise a rifle, but if not, the above SBR situation would be a starting point in decision making.

Now to get really off the wall , I have been kicking around the idea of sourcing a ( Glock, 1911, whatever) virgin frame/ frame assy thru an 007 FFL , have said 007FFL attach a carbine upper unit, and sell such to mu on a 4473 as a *Rifle* .

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    Even if your school had a rifle and firearm class, I wouldn't leave a firearm locked in a car on a college campus all day. Especially after leaving a range. There have been occasions of unsavory individuals following people out of the range and burglarizing their vehicles for their weapons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom