• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    It seems Sheriff Evans is no longer doing CLEO signoffs.

That just blew my hopes of doing my first SBR out of the water. It's fitting too, finally get my shit together, just to say "oh well".

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    who does?

back to state trooper barracks?

I had been told a few times that Evans would do the CLEO signoff on from 1's and form 4's, saving you the wait for MSP to get off their duffs. Guess that isn't the case anymore.

Was directed today to drop my Form 1 off with MSP instead.

Inigoes - I ain't got the money or know-how to establish my own trust. So it looks like I'll be hanging onto my NFA cherry for some time to come.

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    I had been told a few times that Evans would do the CLEO signoff on from 1's and form 4's, saving you the wait for MSP to get off their duffs. Guess that isn't the case anymore.

Inigoes - I ain't got the money or know-how to establish my own trust. So it looks like I'll be hanging onto my NFA cherry for some time to come.

Until you live in America anyway!

rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region

Going the MSP sign off route isn't a big deal. (I can hear the keyboards clicking already from the Trust boys :)). I've done it over 30 times. My last 2 took about 3-1/2 weeks from drop off to MSP signed off forms in my mailbox. Don't let the CLEO sign off stop you from joining the NFA club.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Looks like I'll have to make a trip to Pikesville then I guess?

I ask because the Deputy directed me to the local barracks, right down the street.

Lex Armarum

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2009
    Write up your own NFA trust.

If you can't do it, get a lawyer to write you one up.

The part about writing your own trust is bad advice and I'm not saying that because it's a business line. Do you understand Maryland and Federal Firearms Law to its fullest extent? Do you understand Maryland Estates and Trust Law to its fullest extent? Do you even understand the core principles of a trust and how a trust functions?

You pay legal professionals because they are trained in the law and absorb the liability if something goes awry with your legal paperwork/matter much like you pay a heart surgeon to perform heart surgery instead of climbing up on your dinner table and having a friend cut you open with a steak knife.

Buy once, cry once; a few hundred bucks is a small fee to pay to avoid 10 years and/or $250K in fines if a Court determines that your trust is invalid and you have been possessing NFA items illegally the entire time.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    He's retiring from what I have heard.

He's announced he's running for re-election in '14. Spoke to his wife and she confirmed it, she then gave me his cell # so I could ask about my Form 1 signoff.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Sounds like Sheriff Evans needs to join the ranks of the unemployed come next election.:innocent0

I wouldn't go that far just yet. I'm hoping there was some sort of confusion on his part, so I WILL be contacting him again.

If I'm still directed to go to MSP, then my feelings may change some. We'll see.

StillServing

I know NOTHING !
    Feb 1, 2011
    Calvert County
    I agree. I personally spoke to him a few yrs back about signing my Form 4 when I was gearing up for my first NFA purchase and he said he saw no reason why he wouldn't sign it as the CLEO. I ended up going the Trust route with some other family members so I didn't need to use him. He also was very against SB281, and is Pro 2A. Keep us posted on what the final outcome ends up...

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I've gotten conflicting responses so far, one clerk at the Sheriff's Office said yes, and asked if I'd like to leave my forms with her. The following day a Deputy says no and directs me to MSP.

It's time to go straight to Evans.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Still no definitive word from Evans as of right now.

Patiently waiting, as the clock ticks away.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom