• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    It looks like Delegate Conaway is trying cover his bases and maybe provide actual castle doctrine.

HB 214 - Criminal Law - Self-Defense - Immunity for Use of Physical Force in Defense of Dwelling

Establishing that an occupant of a dwelling is justified in using any degree of physical force against another person when the other person has made an unlawful entry into the dwelling, and when the occupant has a reasonable belief that the other person has committed a crime in the dwelling in addition to the unlawful entry or is committing or intends to commit a crime against a person or property in addition to the unlawful entry; establishing that a person acting in accordance with the Act is immune from specified criminal prosecution.

Mr H

Banana'd
    when the occupant has a reasonable belief that the other person has committed a crime in the dwelling in addition to the unlawful entry or is committing or intends to commit a crime against a person or property in addition to the unlawful entry

Looks like the bar is really set low on this one.

(B) (1) AN OCCUPANT OF A DWELLING IS JUSTIFIED IN USING ANY DEGREE OF PHYSICAL FORCE, INCLUDING DEADLY PHYSICAL FORCE, AGAINST ANOTHER PERSON WHEN:
    (I) THE OTHER PERSON HAS MADE AN UNLAWFUL ENTRY INTO THE DWELLING; AND
    (II) THE OCCUPANT HAS A REASONABLE BELIEF THAT THE OTHER PERSON:
    1. A. HAS COMMITTED A CRIME IN THE DWELLING IN ADDITION TO THE UNLAWFUL ENTRY; OR
    B. IS COMMITTING OR INTENDS TO COMMIT A CRIME AGAINST A PERSON OR PROPERTY IN ADDITION TO THE UNLAWFUL ENTRY; AND
    2. MIGHT USE PHYSICAL FORCE, NO MATTER HOW SLIGHT, AGAINST AN OCCUPANT.

IMO, this has 'bargaining chip' written all over it

LeadSled1

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 25, 2009
    MD
    This one will get canned, 67 will get voted in. He will say, "See, the people didn't want it". Then we will get BS polls about how 90% of Marylanders were against it etc.

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    This weekens castle doctrine..

Under most CD unlawful entry is sufficent proof of criminal intent.. this may be other in Md but I doubt it.

Now you need more...

DANGER DANGER DANGER.

It not a gift.. its not a trade its an assault.. .

Last edited:

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    It will be interesting to find out who's feeding Conaway, and whether they think it will help him (or if he's considered expendable)

Think court jester.. as for expendable... he is window dressing.

Is window dressing expendable? . sure... but they need window dressing . So what's likely... .more window dressing.

More on the flip side... but this bill needs to be tweeked or killed...

nedsurf

Ultimate Member
    Feb 8, 2013
    I'm sure most know this already. Conaway is definitely a player in the democratic party. His whole family is politically connected and relies on name recognition among the low information voter. Unfortunately, there is plenty of that in his district. Frank Conaway Sr. brandished a firearm he was carrying with a expired CCW license and allegedly chased a man down a public street with the gun.

Here is a good article on Jr.'s lifestyle.http://www2.citypaper.com/news/story.asp?id=12819

Jr. is most likely just the face of whatever the party is trying to do with these bills.

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    I'm sure most know this already. Conaway is definitely a player in the democratic party. His whole family is politically connected and relies on name recognition among the low information voter. Unfortunately, there is plenty of that in his district. Frank Conaway Sr. brandished a firearm he was carrying with a expired CCW license and allegedly chased a man down a public street with the gun.

Here is a good article on Jr.'s lifestyle.http://www2.citypaper.com/news/story.asp?id=12819

Jr. is most likely just the face of whatever the party is trying to do with these bills.

The face ....yes.

The brain... no.

The bills are not well crafted.

???

beretta_maven

Free Thinking Member
    Jan 2, 2014
    SoMD

Under most CD unlawful entry is sufficent proof of criminal intent.. this may be other in Md but I doubt it.

Now you need more...

DANGER DANGER DANGER.

I agree...

Sundancer

Feb 2, 2013
    Harford County

Now you need more...

DANGER DANGER DANGER.

Totally agree - looks like three if not more tests someone has to meet -

Test 1

(I) THE OTHER PERSON HAS MADE AN UNLAWFUL ENTRY INTO THE DWELLING; AND

Test 2
    (II) THE OCCUPANT HAS A REASONABLE BELIEF THAT THE OTHER PERSON:
    1. A. HAS COMMITTED A CRIME IN THE DWELLING IN ADDITION TO THE UNLAWFUL ENTRY; OR
    B. IS COMMITTING OR INTENDS TO COMMIT A CRIME AGAINST A PERSON OR PROPERTY IN ADDITION TO THE UNLAWFUL ENTRY; AND

Test 3
    2. MIGHT USE PHYSICAL FORCE, NO MATTER HOW SLIGHT, AGAINST AN OCCUPANT.

So potential rapist/strangler comes into your house gets identified and stands there frozen waiting to figure out does he kill you - now what he hell do you do - you know have to worry that all three tests did not get met? Under this statute you'd have to prove he was there doing more than B&E? This is TERRIBLE TERRIBLE TERRIBLE

Sundancer

Feb 2, 2013
    Harford County
    Frank Conaway Sr. brandished a firearm he was carrying with a expired CCW license and allegedly chased a man down a public street with the gun.

Never knew this - so folks who can't probably possess a FA in MD legally possibly because of his personal record and who associates with felons/potential felons gets to push forth laws criminalizing the honest citizen for protecting themselves. What a POS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom