• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    SB610 reads like any permit will be honored if held by a 21yo, the issuing state has a 24 hour way to verify validity, and the carrier has a secondary form of id. The AG is also required to enter into reciprocal agreements.

The senate substitute's language is a bit vague regarding this:

A valid concealed handgun or concealed weapon permit or license issued by another state shall authorize the holder of such permit or license who is at least 21 years of age to carry a concealed handgun in the Commonwealth, provided (i) the issuing authority provides the means for instantaneous verification of the validity of all such permits or licenses issued within that state, accessible 24 hours a day, if available;

This seems doublespeak, it's either available or it isn't. Hopefully they just honor all permits, the 24 hour database thing could be a sticking point for a few states. VCDL is saying it should be all states no matter what.

I think what's happened is the AG has flat out stepped in a pile of doo doo and now they're looking for a way to back out and save face. And yes I'm sure the Dems outside NOVA and Richmond were not happy when the AG did what he did.

Elliotte

Ultimate Member
    Aug 11, 2011
    Loudoun County VA
    A voluntary NICS check initiated by the seller would bring some measure of comfort to the seller.

However, my understanding is a lot of Virginians are asking buyers to present CCW cards.

In any case, I would be concerned about a slippery slope on the voluntary thing...

If indeed this all came about because the VA Assembly was about to go veto-proof is a good thing. If so, maybe McAwful considered permitless carry would be passed in the Assembly if he didn't "compromise"?

You mean like this? http://lis.virginia.gov/cgi-bin/legp604.exe?161+sum+SB48

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    That bill was just voted down, but required Lt Gov Northam to break a tie. So constitutional carry almost made it out of Senate.

That's pretty good. Just get rid of McAuliffe & Co and you have a shot at Con Carry in a few years.

homestar

Dec 15, 2015
    That's pretty good. Just get rid of McAuliffe & Co and you have a shot at Con Carry in a few years.

Purely a guess, but I think the ratio in favor would have been higher if there wasn't "the deal" in progress related to reciprocity.

jbrown50

Ultimate Member
    Sep 18, 2014
    DC
    Purely a guess, but I think the ratio in favor would have been higher if there wasn't "the deal" in progress related to reciprocity.

Virginia will become permitless carry in the next couple of years. :thumbsup:
    The anti-gun zealots are their own worst enemy. They don't know when to leave well enough alone.......... thankfully.

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    In a way, this is playing the libtards game against them.

Offer something "draconian" and compromise on what you really want.

In this case, permitless carry was "draconian" to McAwful, so he "won" by compromising. The question is, did VA gun owners get what they wanted?

Conaso

May 17, 2014
    Alexandria, VA
    The Constitutional Concealed Carry bill died in the Senate due the (RINO) Republican Senator Emmitt Hanger. He voted with the DemoRATS, with anti-liberty Lt. Governor Ralph Northam breaking the tie by voting against the bill. RINO Hanger typically votes anti-gun with all other DemoRATS.

fleaman64

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2011
    Virginia will become permitless carry in the next couple of years. :thumbsup:
    The anti-gun zealots are their own worst enemy. They don't know when to leave well enough alone.......... thankfully.

Do you mean constitutional carry?

fleaman64

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2011
    I consider the two terms to be interchangeable. Constitutional/permitless carry. As long as you can legally possess that gun you should be able to legally carry it.

yes, a right you have at birth as a citizen unless that right is deprived via due process

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Re #229, Md doesn' have any provision for reciprocity at all.

However, nonresidents are not descriminated against to apply for regular W&C Permit. Well not on basis of residency, just the same G&S scheme as residents face. Be interesting to check the actual numbers, but a substantial number of current Permit holders are nonresidents. ( Hint - security companies that do business in multiple jurisdictions, and even Md based companies hire employees that live elsewhere, particularly the DC metro area.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom