• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    What does MD consider a copy of an AR15?
    is it a copy of an ar15 if it is different caliber?
    if it is missing the bayonet lug and flash hider is it a copy?
    Barrel Contour: 0.875" under handguard, 0.750" Gas Block, 0.725" forward to muzzle?

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    There is a letter of interpretation from the AG floating around here.

In that letter, it says if the parts are interchangeable. Typically that is as any one part on one can be changed for the like part on the other and still function.

So, IMO, a .300 BO can be a copy, as the only part that is different is the barrel. But a .458 SOCOM would not, because you need to change the barrel and the bolt.

rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    But if the h bar is not considered an assault rifle because of the size of the barrel and everything else sane why would this not apply to a 300 b.o.?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    H-bar rifles are not considered 'copy-cat' rifles. .300Bk suffices as an H-bar AFAIK.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    What does MD consider a copy of an AR15?
    is it a copy of an ar15 if it is different caliber?
    if it is missing the bayonet lug and flash hider is it a copy?
    Barrel Contour: 0.875" under handguard, 0.750" Gas Block, 0.725" forward to muzzle?

HBARs are exempt by name in the statute.

Pretty much any caliber other than .223/5.56 is considered HBAR/Heavy Barreled and thus not a copy.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Most .300BO barrels are HBAR, but IIRC there is at least one that is a medium weight barrel.

usmcdad

May 15, 2010
    here is the AG ruling on copies.

Just to be clear, this letter is dated May 24, 2010 (not after the latest law) and it concludes "for a firearm to be considered a copy of a listed assault weapon, and therefore governed by the regulated firearms law, there must be a similarity between the internal components and function of the firearm in question and
    those of one of the listed weapons. A determination as to whether a particular firearm bears such similarity is a factual question entrusted in the first instance to the Department of State Police."

Does anyone know if there has been any further clarification by the AG or MSP regarding what "copy" means?

Magnumst

Ultimate Member
    Mar 26, 2013
    HBARs are exempt by name in the statute.

Pretty much any caliber other than .223/5.56 is considered HBAR/Heavy Barreled and thus not a copy.

I purchased one chambered in 762x39 in 13' and it was not considered HBAR and required the 7 day wait, so I'm not sure if this is true?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I purchased one chambered in 762x39 in 13' and it was not considered HBAR and required the 7 day wait, so I'm not sure if this is true?

If it was before the ban, then it was still(as all AR 15s were) considered a regulated firearm.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    I have been told by MSP that any caliber other than 5.56/.223 is not considered a copy and is fine, regardless of barrel contour.

Besides, obviously if it's a different caliber barrel the parts aren't interchangeable. There's no requirement for two or more parts to not be interchangeable, and for God's sake we don't need to go inventing one on MDS. Just my opinions.

Oh, and I am not a lawyer! :D

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    I bought my H-Bar as Cash and Carry the first year Obummer was elected.

HBARs were always exempted from the beginning. The law was written to exclude them from regulation and the later laws kept that status. If not for that exemption, the HBAR would also be banned here.

IANAL

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    As far as IANAL that's MSP's perspective as well. Check nates thread on writing the MSP where they basically said "we are just guessing what's banned and what's not so check with your FFL- they know more than we do"

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I have been told by MSP that any caliber other than 5.56/.223 is not considered a copy and is fine, regardless of barrel contour.

Besides, obviously if it's a different caliber barrel the parts aren't interchangeable. There's no requirement for two or more parts to not be interchangeable, and for God's sake we don't need to go inventing one on MDS. Just my opinions.

Oh, and I am not a lawyer! :D

It depends. Between a .300 BO and 5.56 AR, you can interchange any one part and the rifle will still function. If that part is the barrel, of course you would have to use the appropriate ammo.

A piston rifle and a DI rifle, not so. You have to interchange multiple parts for either one to work.

Some calibers require more than one part to be changed, like a .458 SOCOM versus 5.56.

And for several others in the thread, "copy" and "copy cat" are NOT the same thing legally. Copy is as we have been talking about. Copy cat, has to with the 29" minimum OAL, and not having more than 1 of the 3 evil features.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom