• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MichaelTech

Feb 21, 2013
    I have not seen this here yet but with the recent rullings by MSP as far as stripped lowers being legal again and putting the 77r need or don't need aside. People are talking about build their own HBARs.

I am curious on what peoples thoughts are on doing differnt Caliber builds on a new stripped lower?

Has anyone done this?

I would think ACC 300Blk would be generate the most questions as every part except the Barrel and gas block is swappable with an AR-15.

SPC 6.8 would be one that would have some of the least questions defiantly different BCG, upper receiver, Magazine, Barrel, Gas Block.

What do people think on this?

What have people learned on this subject and does the MSP have any stances out on this?

Last edited:

fire_medic

Nov 16, 2008
    Calvert County
    I have two stripped lowers that are pre 10/1. One of which I want to build
    into a 300 Blackout Pistol. However the 77R was transferred with an X instead
    of an O. I am wondering if I am Fooked even though they have NEVER
    been anything but a lower, not a rifle or a pistol.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    The ban list says Colt AR15 except HBAR. There are no caliber exclusions.

I have seen 9mm ARs for sale, but I would not buy or build one unless it was a HBAR or on a pre 10/1/2013 lower

You may be alright with a dedicated 9mm lower. But I would not chance it with a mag block

MichaelTech

Feb 21, 2013
    I have two stripped lowers that are pre 10/1. One of which I want to build
    into a 300 Blackout Pistol. However the 77R was transferred with an X instead
    of an O. I am wondering if I am Fooked even though they have NEVER
    been anything but a lower, not a rifle or a pistol.

I have 2 pre 10/1 lowers also I need to build out. But I am not asking this question regards to those.

But my thought in regards to your situation is how I am looking to arrange my collection.

I have 1 Pre-10/1 AR built and I have 2 Stripped lowers. I am going to build those out eventually that gives me three lowers that I can mix around with uppers and not have any concern on anything.

I eventually want to build a Pistol.

My thought is since Stripped lowers are now legal for certain situations that any builds that I want to put in my collection that I can get another stripped lower and make a legal build with I want to do that, Only use the Pre 10/1's for builds I can no longer make anymore because of SB281.

given that since stripped lowers are legal now to buy to build an AR pistol why not just go that route and save your "good" lowers for builds that are now banned.

MichaelTech

Feb 21, 2013

I have seen 9mm ARs for sale, but I would not buy or build one unless it was a HBAR or on a pre 10/1/2013 lower

You may be alright with a dedicated 9mm lower. But I would not chance it with a mag block

Not sure if you heard but MSP has started to clarify some Piston based AR's as Cash and Carry (I am apostatizing that any piston driven system that has its own designed Bolt Carrier Group will eventually fall under this and any system that uses a standard AR bolt that is modified might not pass muster) because their upper parts are not swappable with a AR-15 which looks like MSP is starting to narrow the scope to a Direct Impingement and its parts. so they are not considered copy cats So since this is the case, I don't see why different calibers especially those that use different upper parts could not be built on new after 10/1 lowers. This would follow under the same pattern of reasoning that the MSP is using to approve the Piston AR models. You can not swap parts.

Calibers like SPC 6.8 is pretty much a completely different upper.

As I said too .300blk would be iffy as it is everything but barrel and gas blok but those might be enough to "pass them "

Feb 28, 2013

The Colt AR-15 is a 5.56 caliber rifle. Different caliber means different parts, thus the parts interchangeability should go away.

fire_medic

Nov 16, 2008
    Calvert County
    I have 2 pre 10/1 lowers also I need to build out. But I am not asking this question regards to those.

But my thought in regards to your situation is how I am looking to arrange my collection.

I have 1 Pre-10/1 AR built and I have 2 Stripped lowers. I am going to build those out eventually that gives me three lowers that I can mix around with uppers and not have any concern on anything.

My thought is since Stripped lowers are now legal for certain situations that any builds that I want to put in my collection that I can get another stripped lower and make a legal build with I want to do that, Only use the Pre 10/1's for builds I can no longer make anymore because of SB281.

given that since stripped lowers are legal now to buy to build an AR pistol why not just go that route and save your "good" lowers for builds that are now banned.
    I hadn't thought about it from that stand point, very very good point. However sneaking another lower past the wife might be harder than dealing with the state of Marylandistan over my stripped lowers.:party29:

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    colt002.jpg

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    It is just a name to a pattern for the receiver. MD was only going after the 223/556 variants of the AR-15, because all other calibers for the AR-15, require a heavy barrel, due to the diameter of the bore and the bullets.

Colt advertises their mod 6951 is a lightweight barrel. Maybe the state only wanted to get the 5.56/.223 AR-15 but they snagged the 9mm as well.

I personally wish this was not so. I had my eye on a pre ban Colt 9mm carbine. But Duffy's would not sell it to me. I trust their judgement and after rereading the law that is what it says.

I bought a CMMG dedicated 9mm lower and am going to use that for my 9mm build. The other alternative is to use a barrel advertised as a heavy barrel by the manufacterer.

Last edited:

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Colt advertises their mid 6951 a a lightweight barrel. Maybe the state only wanted to get the 5.56/.223 AR-15 but they snagged the 9mm as well.

I personally wish this was not so. I had my eye on a pre ban Colt 9mm carbine. But Duffy's would not sell it to me. I trust their judgement and after rereading the law that is what it says.

I bought a CMMG dedicated 9mm lower and am going to use that for my 9mm build. The other alternative is to use a barrel advertised as a heavy barrel by the manufacterer.

You aren't paying attention to the barrel PROFILE. A 9mm is close to .30 caliber. Due to the bore diameter, it can not be made into anything other than a HEAVY BARREL, in regards to the barrel profile. JTFC...

135sohc

Ultimate Member
    Oct 27, 2013
    The Colt AR-15 is a 5.56 caliber rifle. Different caliber means different parts, thus the parts interchangeability should go away.

The state does not see it that way… Yes it is beyond mind blowing stupid considering we can buy a complete heavy barrel firearm C&C or as of recent a lower again. But that is MD gun laws at the finest, stupid and more stupid served on the side.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

Not necessarily.

.300 Blackout and .223/5.56 are only a barrel change. So swap the barrels between the two rifles and both can still function.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Caliber has nothing to do with it, pistol or rifle. The law on says centerfire, semi auto.

BUT, MSP and some FFLs are treating dedicated 9mm lowers as not the same as a 5.56 capable lower. Even before FSA2013, 9mm lowers were being sold cash and carry.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

It is not clear if you can build a pre-Oct 1, 2013 lower into a currently banned configuration NOW.

This has been discussed many times, and finally the question was asked of MSP. The answer was, they do not yet have guidance on this issue. So, until they do, you might be doing something illegal if you build a pre-Oct 1, 2013 lower into a banned configuration in 2014.

The discussion came out based on how MSP is treating SBRs, and they are basing it on when it is built NOT when the lower was purchased.

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    It is not clear if you can build a pre-Oct 1, 2013 lower into a currently banned configuration NOW.

This has been discussed many times, and finally the question was asked of MSP. The answer was, they do not yet have guidance on this issue. So, until they do, you might be doing something illegal if you build a pre-Oct 1, 2013 lower into a banned configuration in 2014.

The discussion came out based on how MSP is treating SBRs, and they are basing it on when it is built NOT when the lower was purchased.

An SBR is a new firearm. Putting a different upper on a lower is not. That why the SBR is as of the build date.

Now if your interpration of build is valid. No grandthered weapon could ever be field stripped and reassembled.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom