Purchase limit on long guns? (Explained)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HazyDayz

Jul 17, 2014
    Washington County
    Hello, all. I am in the market for a 12ga shotgun, or two ( one for HD and one for hunting), and was wondering if there were any sort of legal limitations on how many long guns a person can buy within a certain period? I'm thinking of getting two inexpensive guns instead of one and trying to find different barrels, as for the price of barrels I can grab another gun.

Does anyone have any insight into this? Would I be able to purchase them both at once?

MacGuns

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Chester
    The only limit you have on long gun purchases is your bank account or credit card balance. Buy as many as you want at once.

mward

Ultimate Member
    Dec 4, 2009
    Annapolis
    Hello, all. I am in the market for a 12ga shotgun, or two ( one for HD and one for hunting), and was wondering if there were any sort of legal limitations on how many long guns a person can buy within a certain period? I'm thinking of getting two inexpensive guns instead of one and trying to find different barrels, as for the price of barrels I can grab another gun.

Does anyone have any insight into this? Would I be able to purchase them both at once?

Only limit is how many you can carry in your hands at once! ;)

And your credit card. That's the worst one.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    However, Your name will be added to the list when you buy multiple firearms in one week.

Welcome to the club :beer:

Long1MD

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2013
    Too far gone
    I bought 5 long guns at once from WallyWorld once and they had to make some calls and get the store manager before they would start the transaction. It then took the store manager and two employees to complete the transaction.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    How big is your truck?

Attachments

• walmart.jpg
      walmart.jpg
      9.7 KB · Views: 486

matt

No one special
    Apr 9, 2011
    I actually watched a gun grabber video who tried to go in and asked very "stupid" questions about the 25 ish AK's on the wall behind the counter- then asked if there was a restriction on "buying all of them". He said he was going to buy all of them and the FFL called the police because "it didn't seem right".

You walking in to dicks, Walmart or a LGS and buying a HD 18" pump 12g and a 28" semi 12g- while having a educated conversation with the sales rep would not set off any alarm bells.

Kinda like one of many of us on this forum who are on a first name/thanksgiving dinner invite basis with their LGS the above transaction would be part for the course.

Go for it!

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    FFL is required to report multiple firearms sales to the BATFE. This is so they can look into the possibility that it is a straw purchase. I forget what the threshold is.

It is not illegal, but it may lead to someone questioning why you bought so many at one time.

So buy them at different times or from different stores.

HazyDayz

Jul 17, 2014
    Washington County
    FFL is required to report multiple firearms sales to the BATFE. This is so they can look into the possibility that it is a straw purchase. I forget what the threshold is.

It is not illegal, but it may lead to someone questioning why you bought so many at one time.

This is what I was wondering about. I didn't know if I'd have MSP or ATF at my door later.

matt

No one special
    Apr 9, 2011

So your saying the 5, 10, 50 at a time lowers that were being purchased before 10/1/13 attracted a lil attention. Oops!

Feb 28, 2013

If you can afford 'em, git 'em.:)

There ain't no regulated long guns no more.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Your bank account/ credit card/ available trade bait/ spouse/ signifigant other with a finiancial stake are your limitations.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    My limiting factor last year ended up being my spouse. She put the kabosh on #15, but then compromised and let me buy the STI 2011 frame to be built up at a later time.

Everybody else already beat me to "Whatever your wallet can manage" comments.

Good luck with the shotgun purchases and the dove hunting next month. I need to find myself a good dove field now, or go back to the farm in Washington County I used to hunt a decade ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom