Feb 4, 2013
    Group 5, you need to decide on a date.

Last I saw was June 4/5 or June 25/26

Speak now or ....... :D

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    DIY, don't blow money on a commercial product at this point.

Most commercial logbooks out there are a waste of money. The single biggest problem is that they either simply emulate military information or they try to be all things to all shooters. Many are simply plagiarized copies of old military sniper data books, repackaged for profits. Some reorganize the same old information in a more "modern format", LOL. Others will include pages that are quite specialized, such as anatomically correct drawings of heads or intel report pages. Unless the old lady requires an intel report at the end of your shooting session, you'll likely buy these pages and never use them. They all include (sell to you) many pages we would never use (don't want). If they only sold you the pages you need, they couldn't ask $30-$60 or even more for them with a straight face.

You get:
    mil tables for items we'll never mil
    trajectory tables for outdated loads and/or cartridges we aren't using
    target shapes we'll never shoot
    field sketch pages we'll never use

But wait, there's more...[/Billy Mays]

The list goes on, just depends on who's book you buy. I literally have a dozen or more logbooks from different makers and almost every one has 50-60% of its pages dedicated to stuff that does not apply to most civilian shooting situations. In addition, even many of the otherwise usable pages have flaws related to outdated ideas. An easy example is only one wind value slot per target, when every shot will usually require slightly differing compensation as the wind cycles. Wind values simply don't stay constant as you fill up the whole page.

You really only need a few columns of data to make your ballistics make sense:
    You'll want a header blank for your environmental factors like date/time, temperature, physical altitude, barometric pressure and/or density altitude (no, I did not forget humidity, I just don't care at these distances).

Then you'll want columns to organize your data in such a way that you can find trends and make corrections, as shown below:
    Range...Wind Deflection Value...Estimated Come-up....Actual Come-up...Error.

With this information, you can analyze trends in your corrections, true your software and/or modify your data as environmental factors change - the actual purpose of logging data.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Four 6.5CM RPRs w/ Nightforce scopes, two 308 R700s, one AR10. snallygaster a no show.

Attachments

• tmp_21347-20160430_160347_crop_741x439-800x474-684044358.jpg
      tmp_21347-20160430_160347_crop_741x439-800x474-684044358.jpg
      62.6 KB · Views: 424
    • tmp_21347-20160430_165039-800x600917026048.jpg
      tmp_21347-20160430_165039-800x600917026048.jpg
      103.3 KB · Views: 430

Engine4

Curmudgeon
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2012
    Hope you guys ain't getting too much rain today! Hopefully it'll be dry in 2 weeks too.

redsandman6

Dec 22, 2011
    Dundalk
    It rained for maybe 2 or 3 hours but has cleared up now. After lunch we may see the sun for the first time this weekend.

We had two pop up tents that kept us mostly dry. One of the guys in our group had one. And ed had one.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    It rained for maybe 2 or 3 hours but has cleared up now. After lunch we may see the sun for the first time this weekend.

We had two pop up tents that kept us mostly dry. One of the guys in our group had one. And ed had one.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Glad to hear, have fun guys!

SgtKope

Nov 7, 2009
    Crofton, MD
    Wish I could have made it there this weekend. I am going to miss the next one too thanks to these govt sponsored field trips. I should be there for the two classes after that to act as Ed's umbrella holder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom