• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    A buddy of mine has been having issues with his FEG Hi Power clone....fire two rounds, then the third would jam because the second shell would not extract.

I did a little research and found some photos showing the issue and discovered the issue more than likely was the extractor spring. I told him to go ahead and order the spring and I would do what I can to replace it in his gun. He shoots from time to time, but doesn't feel comfortable taking anything apart.

This morning he came to visit and we got to work. Field stripped the pistol, removed (in order) the firing pin retainer, firing pin and spring. Punched out the roll pin on the magazine disconnect safety, took it out and then took the pin out and removed the extractor.....the spring looked pretty, well, fugly. Put the new spring in, put the pin in, put the magazine disconnect safety and its pin back in, put the firing pin and retainer back in and put the gun back together.

Put the mag in, pulled the trigger and the hammer would not fall. Took it all apart again.....realized we put the disconnect safety in BACKWARD. Whoops.

Righted everything, put it all back together and took it to the range.

1st box of ammo was Magtech. Flawless.
    2nd box was a 100 rd box of WWB. Crap. FTE every third round again. My buddy was getting pissed.

We drove around town looking for some more 9mm ammo and only found a guy selling a $9 box of Federal for $39.99. Told him to suck it and moved on.

I caught my neighbor and asked if he had any 9mm....he said "Sure." He doesn't have a 9mm pistol! He had a box of ammo, though.

Cleaned the gun, took it back out with the different ammo.....100% reliability.

New extractor spring worked. Decent ammo worked. WWB is garbage and will never come near any gun I am around.

I now know the inside of a Hi Power slide pretty well. :)

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Funny, I've never had a problem with WWB.

Even my picky, persnickety P38, which is a jamomatic with Remington, is 100% reliable with WWB.

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    Funny, I've never had a problem with WWB.

Even my picky, persnickety P38, which is a jamomatic with Remington, is 100% reliable with WWB.

I never did, either, really. The only other time I saw a definitive issue with WWB was in a .40 S&W Beretta. The rounds seemed underpowered and nosedived.

I guess the FEG and WWB just don't get along.

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    Joe you da man!
    you missed your calling as a gunsmith.:party29:

Definitely not a gunsmith. I know Asperger's gets thrown around in the news a lot lately...even on the forum, but it has it's positive points, too. I don't see things the same way others do and when there is a problem that I get my teeth into, I don't shake loose until I solve it.

I was really pleased with how the fix went.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Good job!

My G19 refused to run today on some wolf gold brass cased ammo. The 17 ate it up and the 9mm AR did too. The 19 ate wolf like no joke but wouldn't eat the 9mm gold wolf. The rounds were short. Some throating and she eats it but it does happen.

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    Good job!

My G19 refused to run today on some wolf gold brass cased ammo. The 17 ate it up and the 9mm AR did too. The 19 ate wolf like no joke but wouldn't eat the 9mm gold wolf. The rounds were short. Some throating and she eats it but it does happen.

Thanks for the kind words, Chad. I've come a long way from my "I don't even want to use a rubber mallet" days.....I even have my own mallet!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom