• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    At some point during my holiday meal of Chinese food, someone broke my dining room chair. It was already loose but it finally broke. It's an Ethan Allen Georgian Court captain's chair. Can anyone fix this or recommend a place that can?

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      117.6 KB · Views: 449

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    That actually looks like a pretty easy fix. A couple of slightly larger screws and some Elmer's Wood Glue should make that as good as new.

lilpenny

Jan 26, 2013
    Ellicott City
    Cornerstone in Timonium. They do really nice work. They specialize in high end furniture.
    Don't take your wife, she will go wild in their showroom.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    That actually looks like a pretty easy fix. A couple of slightly larger screws and some Elmer's Wood Glue should make that as good as new.

Yep, just use masking tape as your clamp if needed, and don't use to much glue. It will seep out all over the finish

-Mil-Surp-Phreak-

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2007
    Gaithersburg
    As others have said, easy fix with the next size up screws and a dab of wood glue. Depending on where you are I can lend a hand with it or have you come over and use my stuff if you want to.

GHETTO BLASTER

May 27, 2013
    I would just move the screws,pre drill new holes,brush wood glue around the dowel area and squeeze out the excess glue and wipe it off with a damp rag and put a small spring clamp on it. Keep wiping the glue away until it stops oozing and let it sit over night then just wipe a little red mahogany stain around the area to hide any cracks.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    Sometimes you don't even need to use the next bigger diameter screw. Instead, you can back the screws out, plug the hole with a wood splinter covered in wood glue (often a wood toothpick works well, then a little glue on the contact surfaces, then re-run the screws into the plugged hole. The screws should grip the stripped holes ad the glue on the contact areas should reinforce the repair. As others stated, wipe the freshly oozed glue away as it will adhere to the finish. Let the glue set overnight.

ngman

MDS Supporter
    Apr 19, 2013
    Western Howard County
    Depending on how old the furniture is the Ethan Allen warranty may still cover it. I seem to recall a 5 year warranty on a recliner I got from them.

INMY01TA

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    Another option instead of bigger screws is to take some wooden toothpicks, break into little pieces and place them in the holes with wood glue, then reinsert the screws. Have done this with the rail covers on my sleigh bed.

Erick

Sep 13, 2013
    I just fixed the chair i am sitting on right now w/ crazy glue

Lets see how long it lasts but since the repair was so cheap I dont mind doing it once a month :D

antco

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Calvert, MD
    Everyone keeps commenting on how easy of a repair it will be, but I suspect folks are missing the damage that occurred on the dowel end that recesses into the arm rest. It appears that the entire dowel end has broken off from the rest of the upright and is a splintered mess dangling out from the bottom of the arm rest.

Reattaching the upright to the bottom joist is easy. Repairing the dowel end is going to be tough, IMO.

Somebody did a number on your chair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom