• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shaddydan

ADHD chicken fighter
    Oct 22, 2010
    Hydes
    So, my trusty little scale just broke and I think its time to get an auto load scale. Looking at Hornady for $169 vs. RCBS Chargemaster for $300. Is there that much difference? Does anyone have experience with either? Thanks

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    So, my trusty little scale just broke and I think its time to get an auto load scale. Looking at Hornady for $169 vs. RCBS Chargemaster for $300. Is there that much difference? Does anyone have experience with either? Thanks

I've got the RCBS 1500 chargemaster combo and I love it. I've heard people say they drift some but I've never had that problem. I use it for all my rifle loads.
    I don't think any of the auto scales set any speed records, but I do love my RCBS.
    Check out Natchez, they did have them about a month ago for $289

skidmoe77

Aug 6, 2011
    Cumberland
    2nd that on the chargemaster. I've had mine 2 years, works great. The only thing I did to mine, is the straw trick. But buff7mm is right it doesn't set any speed records.

duckslayer56

Mar 8, 2014
    Odenton
    I've been using my Chargemaster for about 7 years now, by far the best scale I've had...and I've been through a lot of them. I really like how It stores a bunch of load data for you, so you just recall the load you want and press dispense. The only thing I'd caution about it is, double check the first charge thrown, because sometimes it goes a little fast and throws more powder than the charge calls for, due to the machine trying to get powder to the end of the tube. I've never had any issues with it drifting either, it's by far the most stable scale I've ever had. I can't say anything about the Hornady, I've never used one or seen one operated, so hopefully somebody can chime in about them.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    I've been using my Chargemaster for about 7 years now, by far the best scale I've had...and I've been through a lot of them. I really like how It stores a bunch of load data for you, so you just recall the load you want and press dispense. The only thing I'd caution about it is, double check the first charge thrown, because sometimes it goes a little fast and throws more powder than the charge calls for, due to the machine trying to get powder to the end of the tube. I've never had any issues with it drifting either, it's by far the most stable scale I've ever had. I can't say anything about the Hornady, I've never used one or seen one operated, so hopefully somebody can chime in about them.

I did notice that on smaller charges like my pistol loads, but I started using the the lee pro hoppers on my turret press for my handguns. I do still use it for the 2.1 grains of titegroup in my. 380.

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    I have a chargemaster and am happy. I do believe it needs to be warmed up.

There was just a thread on this same topic in the last 2 weeks. Fans of the Harrell powder measure http://www.sinclairintl.com/reloading-equipment/powder-handling/powder-measures-dispensers/harrell-premium-powder-measure-prod38305.aspx claimed they would measure stick powders with absolute accuracy and every click on the dial was 0.1 gr. I don't understand how that works between flake, ball and stick powders, but Sinclair says the same thing in their video.

If I was in the market, and saw with my own eyes that it worked as advertised, I would probably go that way over the Chargemaster.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

I started almost the same thread about a month ago. I opted for the RCBS 1500 but I have to wait til Christmas to play with it. As far as on line ratings went, the 1500 was higher than the Hornady but, in both cases, people either loved them or hated them. Not much in the middle of the road ratings.

duckslayer56

Mar 8, 2014
    Odenton
    I've found going with RCBS equipement is usually a safe bet. The only piece of RCBS equipment I've ever been disappointed in was their Chronograph.

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    The only pieces of RCBS I have been disappointed with have been,
    First gen primer pocket swedger
    First auto hand priming tool
    Bench mounted primer strip tool
    Piggy back #1
    Green Machine

My 10-10 beam scale is awesome....oh that's right Ohaus makes those for them.
    I have not been a RCBS fan for quite awhile.. :(

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I never drank the Green koolaid. :)

I have some RCBS die sets. They are OK.

I have their press mounted primer pocket swager, it sucks.

I have their stuck case remover, it works fine.

I have a Chargemaster, and one you mod it, reprogram it - it is great. :) But the others are worse.

shaddydan

ADHD chicken fighter
    Oct 22, 2010
    Hydes
    After reading the other thread, I'm gonna go in a different direction. I really like the Harrel thrower and I'm just gonna find a decenct beam scale. I picked up a Lyman one from Continental and was underwhelmed by the quality:sad20:

looking for an Ohaus now.

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    Looks like many companies rebrand the Ohaus, you may be able to find one on sale, and ignore the label.

Ohaus has made most reloading beam scales for decades, Lyman, RCBS, Dillon and probably Hornady and Redding. No matter, they are all excellent in performance and highly reliable.

I lived most of my working life as an electronic instrument technician in the space/defense programs. There are no electronic gadgets on my loading bench and there won't be unless someone gives me one - and then I'd only use it to weigh cases, not powder.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom