• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lennyk

Jan 11, 2013
    Woodbine
    Guys,

How do you sell a completed HBAR that started life as a stripped lower receiver? (in MSP's eyes). A trip to Pikesville and 7 day wait or face to face?

Thanks in advance.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I'd tend to think that in the eyes of the state, the lower is still a regulated "assault weapon" and an Evil Black Rifle. Since it's currently a no-go in this state to buy or sell regular ARs, I'm not sure there's a way to do it. Obviously IANAL.

gungate

NRA Patron Member
    Apr 5, 2012
    Damascus. MD
    I'd suggest you have your buyer purchase a lower himself and sell him everything around it and take $100 off the price. Keep the lower since it is registered pre-ban and build an AR later on down the road.

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    It's a problem. It's on the books as a regulated item.

Moreover, the criteria to be an HBAR probably means it had to be sold by a MD dealer as an HBAR.

Of course there is no such thing in MD law, but hear me out.

A MD HBAR is a heavy barreled AR15 that the selling dealer can articulate to MSP that it was an HBAR. I take that to mean that it is in a dealers book listed as an HBAR, and the dealer has a catalog page or cut sheet showing it was an HBAR. Somewhere MSP can go look at a record somewhere and not have to make a forensic determination about an individual gun.

And I say MD dealer because MSP was getting funny about some out of state HBARs that folks bought right after FSA2013 went into effect.

I feel it is somewhat risky to build HBARs outside of buying one at a MD dealer, even though common sense and maybe even the letter of the law say it should be fine.

If we were following literal reading of the laws here, there wouldn't be any HBARs. My play is we take the gift we were given and not rock the boat.

stringer bell

Aug 20, 2014
    Mac entertain me for a moment. If state police are not going to ranges and or gunshops and giving people a hard time over what an hbar is why would it be risky to build one that falls under their guidlines?

I've been shooting sbr's at public ranges in Maryland for almost 10 years now. I have never been question about the legality of my sbr which carry a far more serious penalty than a post October non hbar. I just don't see an event in which barrel profile would ever be an issue.

No saying to break the law but md's hbar law is almost like 922r. One is far more likely to be a Victimt of the knockout game in Maryland than to see a post Oct hbar infraction

lennyk

Jan 11, 2013
    Woodbine
    Guys...thank you for the responses. This law is so convoluted that it makes no sense. We can buy stripped lowers with the intent of an HBAR production or AR pistol. But once you made it, I guess you're stuck with it here. Makes no sense.

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    When you think about it,it really makes your head hurt. You have to do the 7 day wait to buy a lower which sort of makes it a regulated firearm. You build it into a HBAR which is cash and carry, you go to sell but the lower is a regulated rifle which technically is no longer legal to sell in the great communist state of mdlandistan.
    In other words I have no clue what the answer is but at least we are all safer now:sad20:

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I'd suggest you have your buyer purchase a lower himself and sell him everything around it and take $100 off the price. Keep the lower since it is registered pre-ban and build an AR later on down the road.

Who said the lower was pre-banned? I'm not seeing that.:shrug:

SneakySh0rty

Aug 22, 2013
    Pasadena
    If there is no real rush, re-selling it as a stripped lower via MSP Barracks or FFL and waiting the 7 days should work. Can just hand the buyer the HBAR upper and stock afterwards. Also, why would you need to go to Pikesville? Is that the closest MSP Barracks that handles transfers to you?

I am not saying this is logical, but given our laws, I feel that would be the safest route.

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    Mac entertain me for a moment. If state police are not going to ranges and or gunshops and giving people a hard time over what an hbar is why would it be risky to build one that falls under their guidlines?

I've been shooting sbr's at public ranges in Maryland for almost 10 years now. I have never been question about the legality of my sbr which carry a far more serious penalty than a post October non hbar. I just don't see an event in which barrel profile would ever be an issue.

No saying to break the law but md's hbar law is almost like 922r. One is far more likely to be a Victimt of the knockout game in Maryland than to see a post Oct hbar infraction
    Nor have I (ever been checked for anything...)

If the issue were to arise it would be part of something else. Another investigation that would cause the origins of the firearm to be looked at.

Bought regulated, presumably for a pistol build. Made into a rifle instead. OK you or its next owner says wait - its an HBAR and not banned.

MSP says OK - show us the documentation we accept articulating it is an HBAR. What do you have? Catalog sheet? Data (slick) sheet? Entry in an FFLs firearms record?

You say just LOOK at it! :-)

But that's what they don't do - they want documentation.

Look I could be all out of whack here. The MD HBAR is a funny critter and does not allow for common sense.

I base what I am saying on what more than one dealer FFLs have told me over the years.

lennyk

Jan 11, 2013
    Woodbine
    OK....so assume you sell the rifle in pieces (lower and upper separately). The lower is fully assembled with a receiver extension and stock. Can't ever be a pistol at that point (it was already a rifle). Now what? And since it can only legally be an HBAR, why would it be regulated? If a judge who understands firearms hears this law it would be thrown out. It does not make any sense whatsoever. It seems like the easiest thing is to resell a stripper lower receiver via the "regulated" route. And yes, the receiver would be a "post ban" item.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    OK....so assume you sell the rifle in pieces (lower and upper separately). The lower is fully assembled with a receiver extension and stock. Can't ever be a pistol at that point (it was already a rifle). Now what? And since it can only legally be an HBAR, why would it be regulated? If a judge who understands firearms hears this law it would be thrown out. It does not make any sense whatsoever. It seems like the easiest thing is to resell a stripper lower receiver via the "regulated" route. And yes, the receiver would be a "post ban" item.

Now that makes sense.

CharlieFoxtrot

Industry Partner
    Sep 30, 2007
    Foothills of Appalachia

+1. This was the reasoning behind my post when I said you can only sell it face to face if its now an HBAR.

SPQM

May 21, 2014
    MSP says OK - show us the documentation we accept articulating it is an HBAR. What do you have? Catalog sheet? Data (slick) sheet? Entry in an FFLs firearms record?

You say just LOOK at it! :-)

But that's what they don't do - they want documentation.

Where would I contact the specific division of MSP that deals with such issues? I may have an idea.

gabe72

Ultimate Member
    Aug 26, 2012
    sharpsburg
    A strioed lower is strioed lower that coukd be built into a pistol or m4 style baned gun only thing that is an hbar is the barreled part of the upper, i woukd think a colt stamped hbar receiver is still the same thing

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom