• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Local24MD

Apr 1, 2015
    Perry Hall
    I have an ar-10 that i need to put some optics on that for the time being will be for punching paper but may very well be hunting with it down the road. The vortex and nikon scopes are right around the same price range but the vortex does have the unlimited lifetime warranty which i like. Was thinking maybe one of the nikon ProStaffs or a vortex crossfire/diamondback. Does anyone use one of these on an ar-10 and how do you like it?

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Vortex, I have 4 of them. I have a nikon also, I like the nikon better than a Leupold but not better than the vortex

gutshootem

Feb 27, 2013
    Calvert
    Vortex. Much better glass for the cash and the warranty is unbeatable.

I once sent a Nikon product back for repair and they wanted more to fix it than I paid for it.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    W/out hesitation, Vortex.

Good glass, good tracking, outstanding warranty.

Spend a little more and go for the Viper line (HS-T variant is worth a look).

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    I have an ar-10 that i need to put some optics on that for the time being will be for punching paper but may very well be hunting with it down the road. The vortex and nikon scopes are right around the same price range but the vortex does have the unlimited lifetime warranty which i like. Was thinking maybe one of the nikon ProStaffs or a vortex crossfire/diamondback. Does anyone use one of these on an ar-10 and how do you like it?

you have a crossfire or diamondback?

i may be looking at a get a different vortex then those 2 but i have to look more into them

Get a Vortex. I have a Vortex Crossfire II 3-9x40 BDC. It is by far the best scope I have seen for the money. My dad compared it to his 1990's Tasco World Class 3-9x40 and swears that his next scope will be a Vortex Crossfire II for a hunting rifle.

xtreme43s10

Ultimate Member
    Mar 19, 2007
    maryland, in Mont county
    Nikon all the way. Mine have held up very well to abuse on my sluggun and muzzleloader and rifles. I have a couple vortex pst and like them. I had a diamondback and sold it, Just felt cheap.

Local24MD

Apr 1, 2015
    Perry Hall
    I think I'm just going to go with a vortex mainly for the warranty. Seems like both are fairly similar. Not sure which vortex to get though. Figured I'd get a 3-9 or a 4-12, is it a better idea to get the 4-12 just for the little bit of extra magnification?

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Burris Veracity. Same factory, same glass as Vortex, warranty covers even more believe it or not.

How can it cover more?????

Vortex is lifetime, transferable, no questions asked.

Even if you tell them you ran over it with your truck, they will fix or replace.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake

Even if you tell them you ran over it with your truck, they will fix or replace.

But do they cover it if your buddy ran over it in your truck? Or, if you ran over it in your next door neighbor's truck? What if your next door neighbor took it to your buddy's house and.... :sarcasm:

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    The Nikon warranty says "send it in, make sure you're the original owner and that you kept the receipt, and we'll decide if we want to fix it or if you'll have to pay to get it back". That's what Lifetime means to them.

Vortex says "send it in and we'll fix it". Leupold and Burris are the same.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN

Just personal experiences that I've had in dealing with both companies. When we have things come into the shop damaged or defective and such. Burris works with us, Vortex likes to try to pass the buck.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Bought a Vortex scope mount the other day.

Was surprised to see a Made In China label on the bottom of the mount.

With all the YouTube videos showing English speaking Americans building Vortex products and all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom